168 LSAT, 4.0 UG GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
longshotter

New

168 LSAT, 4.0 UG GPA

Post by longshotter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:12 pm

I was PTing around 166 so I was pretty happy with my LSAT score a month ago, until reality set in. I have a 4.0 GPA from a top 10 UG, but pretty mediocre softs (i.e. nothing that will tip the scales in my favor). I'm honestly not wed to the idea of cracking big law, so I'm not even sweating being completely out of contention for HYS. Still, I'm rankings conscious because I know just how much competitive the hunt for PI jobs is. Here is a list (pretty wide range) of schools I want to focus on, with some pretty big reaches included.

NYU
Michigan
UVa
Cornell
Duke
Vanderbilt
GW
BU
BC
W&M
W&L
Fordham
Cardozo
Brooklyn

What do you think my chances are?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Re: 168 LSAT, 4.0 UG GPA

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:14 pm

How many PTs?

longshotter

New

Post by longshotter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:15 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:How many PTs?
Like 20-25, 4 months of grueling prep work. Not really the best test-taker

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Berkeley is big for public interest, right? Seems like a pretty safe target at this point. CCN might be in play.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Apply to UChicago. They told me to go fuck myself with those numbers but it seems like most 168/4+s got in. Plus their new LRAP kicks ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

longshotter

New

Post by longshotter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:22 pm

I forgot to mention... I'm legacy at NYU Law. My father went there but isn't a major donor or anything like that.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 pm

I would also apply to

Chicago
Penn
Berkeley (more of a crapshoot, and if you don't want to pay the money to apply - no fee waivers - I wouldn't blame you)
and Northwestern if you have work experience. Computer started freaking out, but it looks like they accepted those with 168/3.85+.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:29 pm

longshotter wrote:I forgot to mention... I'm legacy at NYU Law. My father went there but isn't a major donor or anything like that.
Even without this, I think you're in at NYU. Definitely a good shot.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Also, I initially overlooked how misguided your application list is. Just apply to every school ranked 1 to 14. 20 if you're paranoid.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Dany wrote:
longshotter wrote:I forgot to mention... I'm legacy at NYU Law. My father went there but isn't a major donor or anything like that.
Yeah, just make sure to apply early and put some effort into your app :(

longshotter

New

Post by longshotter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Dany wrote:
You think I should use my binding ED up on a school that will be such a reach given my LSAT? Would a legacy boost really do that much?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:34 pm

longshotter wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Dany wrote:
You think I should use my binding ED up on a school that will be such a reach given my LSAT? Would a legacy boost really do that much?
nonono, "apply early" in this context means "apply in like September," not "apply early decision."

I'm blaming my WL from them on my late December application.

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:36 pm

longshotter wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Dany wrote:
I faced this decision and ultimately (I think) made the wrong decision. It didn't come back to bite me because I got dinged despite ED and competitive numbers. I say "come back to bite me" because in hindsight I don't think I should have used my ED "strategically" and risked foreclosing all other options, and I don't think there's any way I could have liked NYU better than my current situation. Unless you know for certain you'd rather go to NYU than other other school, you should apply RD everywhere. If your goal is, like most TLSers, to simply get into the best school you can and take the package that makes the most sense, binding application is not smart, imho.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:43 pm

I don't think you should apply ED anywhere, and to be honest, I'd consider NYU more of a target, not a reach. I don't generally recommend Why X essays for CCN, but I think you could write a compelling one that couples your PI focus/fit with NYU with your desire to go there because of your father's experience. If not a Why X essay, you might be able to work it into your PS.

longshotter

New

Post by longshotter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Dany wrote:I don't think you should apply ED anywhere, and to be honest, I'd consider NYU more of a target, not a reach. I don't generally recommend Why X essays for CCN, but I think you could write a compelling one that couples your PI focus/fit with NYU with your desire to go there because of your father's experience. If not a Why X essay, you might be able to work it into your PS.
You really think NYU would be a target? I mean, I would love those chances (even at 50/50), but I don't see how with my LSAT a full 4 points below their median.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:05 pm

http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

Look at that and scroll back a few years. They seem to be friendly to those with your number combo. I'm not saying you're guaranteed to get in, but I like your odds, especially with legacy status. Craft a solid application and I think you'll do well.

longshotter

New

Post by longshotter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am

How about the MVP range? I know Penn is likely out given my LSAT, but what would my chances at Michigan (I especially like Michigan) or Virginia be?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

longshotter

New

Post by longshotter » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Anyone?

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:50 pm

In at UVA ED

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:51 pm

I would not ED if I were you.

With your numbers and the strength of your undergrad, I think you could snag 1 or 2 of CCN and acceptances and pretty much any other non-HYS T13.

laughsalot06

New

Post by laughsalot06 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:04 pm

I applied with the exact same stats this past cycle.

Apply early. I thought I did that when I submitted applications in November/early December, but you honestly need to apply in September. In my experience T10 schools only take a few 168s that don't have amazing softs, etc and you want to be one of those few.

Apply to any school you are interested in--I'd say T14 plus safeties in the T25. I kind of chose a few schools and left a few out for no apparent reason, and looking back there I wish I would have applied for more (more options, more leverage). Also, put thought in your applications--include the "Why" essays.

I was accepted to schools 14-20 with pretty substantial aid, but waitlisted at every school I applied to in the T14. Fortunately, I was ultimately accepted off of a waitlist.

Good luck! PM me if you want some more specifics.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”