170 LSAT, 4.0 GPA--where to apply? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
el_ladron

New

Re: 170 LSAT, 4.0 GPA--where to apply?

Post by el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 am

Also, I don't know if I should write a diversity statement. I'm not a URM, so I won't get a major boost (limited to Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, African Americans) but my mother is from the Dominican Republic and I speak Spanish. Still, I wasn't involved in any Latino organizations (or any other clubs, for that matter) in college. If well-written could it help?
Last edited by el_ladron on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:05 am

Bumi wrote:
el_ladron wrote:
Bumi wrote:
el_ladron wrote:
How come every 170/4.0 thinks they're the worst applicant ever and every 146/2.9 thinks they're getting into Yale because they were president of their fraternity? I don't get it.
lol +1

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:08 am

A few people with 169-170/4.0 got Harvard this cycle (though most got waitlisted). Same thing for Stanford. At least one of CCN is a lock, and MVP with money.

Do whatever you can to make your application shine.

sven

Bronze

Post by sven » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 am

sven wrote:
el_ladron wrote:My softs are very very mediocre. I worked this past year at a fairly average job. The only noteworthy thing I could say is that I was awarded a Fulbright for '11-'12.
Hahaha. S/he has work experience, a prestigious grant, a 170, and a 4.0. If anyone can get into Columbia or NYU it's this guy/girl.
el_ladron wrote:Also, I don't know if I should write a diversity statement. I'm not a URM, so I won't get a major boost (limited to Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, African Americans) but my mother is from the Dominican Republic and I speak Spanish.
Ahahahaha. I love this person.

el_ladron

New

Post by el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:16 am

sven wrote:
sven wrote:
el_ladron wrote:My softs are very very mediocre. I worked this past year at a fairly average job. The only noteworthy thing I could say is that I was awarded a Fulbright for '11-'12.
Hahaha. S/he has work experience, a prestigious grant, a 170, and a 4.0. If anyone can get into Columbia or NYU it's this guy/girl.
el_ladron wrote:Also, I don't know if I should write a diversity statement. I'm not a URM, so I won't get a major boost (limited to Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, African Americans) but my mother is from the Dominican Republic and I speak Spanish.
I'm not trying to be a jerk... I really don't know about this stuff. Browsing TLS, as I have for the past few hours, can be a frightening thing. With the explosion in app numbers and all the applicants with higher numbers, I think my doubts are somewhat valid (did nothing noteworthy outside of the classroom in college).

Also, I think the diversity thing is a fair question. Is being half Dominican even worth mentioning to these law schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:34 am

el_ladron wrote:Is being half Dominican even worth mentioning to these law schools?
Good god, OP. Enjoy Yale.

sven

Bronze

Post by sven » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 am

el_ladron wrote:
sven wrote:
sven wrote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk... I really don't know about this stuff. Browsing TLS, as I have for the past few hours, can be a frightening thing. With the explosion in app numbers and all the applicants with higher numbers, I think my doubts are somewhat valid (did nothing noteworthy outside of the classroom in college).

Also, I think the diversity thing is a fair question. Is being half Dominican even worth mentioning to these law schools?
I wasn't implying that you were a jerk; just hilariously modest for someone with a 4.0 from an Ivy undergrad. I mean, who the hell says that they have "very very mediocre softs" and then in the next sentences says that they're a Fulbright Scholar?! Admissions folks are going to be much more impressed with you than you are with yourself. This is certainly not a bad thing. It's just that the size of the disconnect is so funny.

In all honesty, you'll be fine for CCN without mentioning the Dominican stuff. If you can work that into your PS somehow, great. If not, definitely try to write a diversity statement. I understand that you're not strictly URM, but it certainly isn't going to hurt.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:40 am

If OP is half Dominican doesn't s/he get a URM boost for being Hispanic? So s/he could probably get Yale with those numbers and "mediocre" softs? Also, OP, applications were down last cycle, and will likely continue to decrease at least a little. Still smart to be concerned though.

The OP reminds me of how Will Ferrell describes his wife (Eva Mendes) in The Other Guys.

edit: I said "mediocre" because being a Fullbright scholar is pretty awesome.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:47 am

Sorry for the flip reply, but I am trying to use humor to illustrate to you that your concerns are way overblown. My understanding is that half-Dominican is indeed URM, 170 is a solid score even without the URM, and although 4.0s do kind of grow on trees, 4.0s who have 170s or higher definitely do not. You have a fantastic shot at going to an excellent law school and the only question left is how much you want to spend on your legal education.

The one thing, and I mean the only thing, that could doom you at this point would be a timid PS making excuses for how you aren't really that special. You've got a baller PS inside you. Let that sucker out and you'll be golden.

You are free to think that your shot at NYU is very small inside your head, and that is fine. But please, for me, for someone who didn't have the shot you had, please do not leave out any law schools out of your application plan because you don't think you can get in. Maybe you don't get into HYS or CCN. But you have enough of a shot at any or all of the six that you shouldn't let your own doubt stop you.

(please don't be a troll, I want to believe)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:53 am

Bumi wrote:Sorry for the flip reply, but I am trying to use humor to illustrate to you that your concerns are way overblown. My understanding is that half-Dominican is indeed URM, 170 is a solid score even without the URM, and although 4.0s do kind of grow on trees, 4.0s who have 170s or higher definitely do not. You have a fantastic shot at going to an excellent law school and the only question left is how much you want to spend on your legal education.

The one thing, and I mean the only thing, that could doom you at this point would be a timid PS making excuses for how you aren't really that special. You've got a baller PS inside you. Let that sucker out and you'll be golden.

You are free to think that your shot at NYU is very small inside your head, and that is fine. But please, for me, for someone who didn't have the shot you had, please do not leave out any law schools out of your application plan because you don't think you can get in. Maybe you don't get into HYS or CCN. But you have enough of a shot at any or all of the six that you shouldn't let your own doubt stop you.

Yeah so since your are a URM, telling the schools to which to apply you are Dominican is very important. +1 to the part above about not sounding timid in your personal statement, you have to sell yourself to these people. I think you have a killer PS in you, just find a good moment to write about. I would think you are almost a lock at Harvard and have a great shot at Yale.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:58 am

By the way OP, its good to be humble, don't lose that when you are at HYS. I'm sure you will have at least a few pretty self-important classmates.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:02 pm

You'll be in at the entire bottom half on the T-14 plus NYU and Chicago (probably with $). CLS and HYS will be reaches, but worth an app.

ETA: I see URM plus Fullbright. I think HYS are within range

el_ladron

New

Post by el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Bumi wrote:Sorry for the flip reply, but I am trying to use humor to illustrate to you that your concerns are way overblown. My understanding is that half-Dominican is indeed URM, 170 is a solid score even without the URM, and although 4.0s do kind of grow on trees, 4.0s who have 170s or higher definitely do not. You have a fantastic shot at going to an excellent law school and the only question left is how much you want to spend on your legal education.

It's no problem, maybe I am being annoyingly self-deprecating. Still, one year at a pretty crappy job will lead you to question a lot of things. Plus, I don't operate under a false sense of entitlement ever, especially when it comes to something as apparently fickle as law school admissions.

I don't even want HYS (I know everyone says that when they think they can't get in). I'm not fond of New England, and Palo Alto is waaay too far for me. Being at a T-6 in the city where I was born and raised (and can live cheaply at home) is really a dream.

I checked, Dominicans are not considered to be a URM. Salvadorans, who have numerical superiority over DRs, aren't even considered a URM. Oh well... I don't know, I speak Spanish and am very in touch with my Dominican side, so a diversity statement might be a good thing to do (and for the New York schools, they have to appreciate the size of our population! lol)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:13 pm

I thought that any type of Hispanic nationality was a URM for the purposes of law school applications.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm

emciosn wrote:I thought that any type of Hispanic nationality was a URM for the purposes of law school applications.
IIRC, it varies. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans get the highest URM boost and it is debated whether Cubans get much of a boost or not. If you're just from South America like Uruguayan or something, then that's not really going to help you

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Flips88 wrote:
emciosn wrote:I thought that any type of Hispanic nationality was a URM for the purposes of law school applications.
IIRC, it varies. Mexicans and Puerto Ricans get the highest URM boost and it is debated whether Cubans get much of a boost or not. If you're just from South America like Uruguayan or something, then that's not really going to help you
So might not be as much of a boost as I thought but still worth mentioning. OP I still think you have a pretty good shot at getting at least on of CCN.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 pm

emciosn wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
So might not be as much of a boost as I thought but still worth mentioning. OP I still think you have a pretty good shot at getting at least on of CCN.
Oh, they're in at Chicago and NYU just fine sans any URM boost, especially as a 4.0 Fullbright student from an Ivy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hurldes

Bronze

Post by hurldes » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:22 pm

A white male friend of mine had a 3.87/170... history major. Not a fullbright scholar. He got NYU regular decision this cycle. His softs were worse than yours--1 year WE at a random job and that's about it. Seriously, you'll get NYU. Just show some confidence in your PS.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Flips88 wrote:
emciosn wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Oh, they're in at Chicago and NYU just fine sans any URM boost, especially as a 4.0 Fullbright student from an Ivy.
Yeah you're right. OP's modesty is rubbing off on me it think.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Apply T14, get into most if not all, negotiate, matriculate. /thread

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I had a 3.89 and a 170 in October. I got into one of my dream schools, but I still wish I did a retake (I know it's easy to say now since my cycle is over, but it's still true)

And I am seriously suggesting that you retake. Unless you know that 170 was way above your average range of scores, you will regret not retaking for one reason: scholarships. 3-5 more points on the LSAT (which from your previous post, it seems possible) will get you a LOT more money and potentially get you into HYS. If money isn't an issue, and you want to get into NYU/Columbia, then whatever - start working on a good ps right now, and get your application ready.

But congrats - i'm pretty sure you're going to have an awesome cycle regardless of what you do :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 pm

wait.. OP is URM?

LOL. Youuusonofabitch. Enjoy life - it's going to be good.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Did you read any of the thread? OP is not retaking and they are not a URM that gets an appreciable boost.

el_ladron

New

Post by el_ladron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:13 pm

glitched wrote:wait.. OP is URM?

LOL. Youuusonofabitch. Enjoy life - it's going to be good.
Nope, not URM, just half Dominican. I'm cool with it though, African Americans, Mexicans, and Puerto Ricans are all much larger populations that blazed the trail in civil rights for other people of color. I think the URM boost should only be applied to those groups (for now at least).

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, which dream school did you get?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Stttanford.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”