Got my LSDAS GPA: 3.42/171 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
chem

Silver

Got my LSDAS GPA: 3.42/171

Post by chem » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 pm

I made a thread months ago when I got my LSAT score, but now that I've been reading about schools and doing research.

I'll be graduating with degrees in chemical engineering, chemistry, and biochemistry. I have been working part time during school since sophomore year for an engineering firm doing engineering work, with full time during the summers. Have some research under my belt as well, but no publications, only presenting in conferences. I have had various leadership roles, and my PS is about my growth as a leader in a professional society. Im planning on writing why x's and applying on the first day. Not a resident in any states that these are located in

Reach
Boalt
Chicago
NU
Penn

Targets
Cornell
Duke
UVA
Texas
USC

Safeties
WUSTL
UIUC

I would like to pursue big law and clerkships upon graduation, with an emphasis on being able to work in the city of the school from which I graduate. My intended practice area is patents The gameplan in my mind is that if I was accepted to Texas, I'd take it without a second thought, followed by the reach schools in the order given, then WUSTL or UIUC depending on scholarship, then the targets based market/scholly/ect.

A couple questions

1. Should I revise what schools I think are reachs, targets, safeties, ect?

2. Is the plan of action I laid out reasonable?

2. Should there be any reach schools I shouldn't even bother applying to?

3. Should I add more safety schools?

4. Chances for scholarship money at any of these?

Thanks everyone

Deuce

Silver

Re: Got my LSDAS GPA: 3.42/171

Post by Deuce » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Even though I think you're safe with WUSTL and UIUC, I would add more safeties. You never know what to expect out of a splitter cycle, so a wider than usual net is the smart play.

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:45 pm

i would add michigan to your targets

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:37 pm

OP does not need more safeties. Going to a school ranked below the T25 with those numbers would be insane.

emciosn

Bronze

Post by emciosn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Op doesn't need any more safeties. There is no way WUSTL would pass on that LSAT. Probably give him some good money too since his lower GPA is offset but having an engineering degree etc.

Edit: I agree with adding Michigan, if you are ok with Ithaca, you should be ok with Ann Arbor

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:47 pm

FYI - You won't get fee waivers from Chicago, Boalt or Penn with those numbers. I would say Boalt is worth it if you want to put in the time and effort to write a good Boalt specific PS and submit it early. Chicago would absolutely have to be ED to even get a glance. Penn is probably the only one that is on the border between reach and target, you will need to write the optional essay (not 'Why Penn' but actually address one of the questions) and decide if you like the school enough to ED or take your chances with RD.

NU is worth it with a fee waiver, but otherwise your no full-time WE is going to kill your chances.

Duke is a reach, not a target.

UVA is a reach/impossibility if OOS and not ED.

USC may even be a stretch with a sub 3.5 GPA, there is a lot more yellow than green in the LSN graph.

Cornell and Texas are your only clear targets. WUSTL and UIUC are good safeties.

I really only see you getting money at WUSTL and UIUC with certainty, Texas and Cornell are maybes but probably pretty small $.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:52 pm

ED isnt an option for me. My fiance is applying to ChemE PhD programs at the same time, and we are planning on going to the same school.

Accordingly, Ill take Chicago off the list, and add Michigan.

Based on my career aspirations, how should I list

UCLA
Vanderbilt
Davis
Notre Dame
BU?
Last edited by chem on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:55 pm

emciosn wrote:Op doesn't need any more safeties. There is no way WUSTL would pass on that LSAT. Probably give him some good money too since his lower GPA is offset but having an engineering degree etc.

Edit: I agree with adding Michigan, if you are ok with Ithaca, you should be ok with Ann Arbor
Other safeties would inclued both Boston schools

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 pm

chem wrote:ED isnt an option for me. My fiance is applying to ChemE PhD programs at the same time, and we are planning on going to the same school.

Accordingly, Ill take Chicago off the list, and add Michigan.

Based on my career aspirations, how should I list

UCLA
Vanderbilt
Davis
Notre Dame
BU?
UCLA is also tough with your GPA, it's a reach but you might get a fee waiver that would make it worthwhile.

Vanderbilt is a good target/safety since pretty much everyone with a 171 and more than 3.3 gets in.

I think Davis, Notre Dame, and BU/BC would be safeties but I'm not as familiar with those schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:18 pm

BC/BU not likely with that GPA. They could jump at the LSAT, but they generally like higher GPAs.

You should get into NDLS, but I'm not sure about money since you're below the GPA median.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Ill add Vanderbilt and Davis to the list then. I couldn't find much scholarship information for Davis, does anyone know about that?

Thanks for all the input everyone

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 pm

OP: I had literally the exact same numbers when I applied

Duke and UVA should be in the reach category. Duke traditionally prefers high GPA's and UVA likes WL'ing everyone

I'd say Texas is a reach too, since they seem to have a concrete 3.5 floor now + you're out of state. I got straight up rejected by them about 2 weeks after I applied.

Boalt and Chicago are most likely out. I would consider throwing apps at Michigan + Penn, since apparently Michigan is generous with scholarship aid. I regret not applying to Penn, but it's whatever.

USC is probably a target (they prefer high GPA though), as well as Cornell.

If I were you, I'd be focusing on Northwestern, Cornell and USC. Safeties look good because they usually give out large amounts of aid.

PM me with any questions etc.

And definitely apply early. I can't stress this enough. People with numbers like ours need to get their apps in like day one to have the best possible chance at schools

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”