174 / no GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
AntipodeanPhil

Silver

174 / no GPA

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:33 am

I have an UG degree from a foreign university, so no LSAC GPA. My transcript was rated as "superior" by LSAC (it's a 1st class honors degree), but my grade average was listed as "A-/B+" (my school is tough on grades).

I took the LSAT once, in June, and got a 174.

I have a Ph.D. from a well respected US state school (with a firmly T1 law school) - not Michigan, Berkeley or UVA, alas. My graduate GPA is 3.89.

I have two publications, one on a legal topic, in an interdisciplinary law journal, and a good story to tell about why I am interested in law school. For the last academic year, I worked as a visiting assistant professor at a very small school in New England, but I might be unemployed when I apply to law schools, or (more likely) employed in a position that won't look great on my CV.

I'm a US permanent resident with a good credit history, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting loans.

I'll be applying as soon as applications are available, and I have no idea what to expect. I feel fairly confident I'll land somewhere in the T14 thanks to my LSAT, but where? I am aware that because of my unusual situation nobody really knows - I'm interested in guesses though, or whatever small pieces of information people might have.

bhan87

Silver

Re: 174 / no GPA

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I have an UG degree from a foreign university, so no LSAC GPA. My transcript was rated as "superior" by LSAC (it's a 1st class honors degree), but my grade average was listed as "A-/B+" (my school is tough on grades).

I took the LSAT once, in June, and got a 174.

I have a Ph.D. from a well respected US state school (with a firmly T1 law school) - not Michigan, Berkeley or UVA, alas. My graduate GPA is 3.89.

I have two publications, one on a legal topic, in an interdisciplinary law journal, and a good story to tell about why I am interested in law school. For the last academic year, I worked as a visiting assistant professor at a very small school in New England, but I might be unemployed when I apply to law schools, or (more likely) employed in a position that won't look great on my CV.

I'm a US permanent resident with a good credit history, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting loans.

I'll be applying as soon as applications are available, and I have no idea what to expect. I feel fairly confident I'll land somewhere in the T14 thanks to my LSAT, but where? I am aware that because of my unusual situation nobody really knows - I'm interested in guesses though, or whatever small pieces of information people might have.
Your cycle will be fine. If I had to guess, you'll be a lock at CCN (CLS would be a great target because they love foreign applicants). HYS is always a toss, but I think at least one will take you (probably HLS).

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:39 am

bhan87 wrote:Your cycle will be fine. If I had to guess, you'll be a lock at CCN (CLS would be a great target because they love foreign applicants). HYS is always a toss, but I think at least one will take you (probably HLS).
I have to disagree and say I think HYS is a real stretch, but you are golden for CCN.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 am

My guess would be one of HYS and at the very least CCN. Some of it might depend on how prestigious your ugrad was. I think the thing that really makes you stand out for HYS is your Phd and the fact that you are published. A lot of people on here don't understand what getting a first entails (not one person graduated with a first from my year in my subject). If your uni was anything like mine you are applying with a 174 and like top 10% of your class (probably more like 5%). That combined with a Phd is extremely impressive.

Good luck and I look forward to watching your cycle next year.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:55 am

FlanAl, the problem is that I don't think adcomms really know, or care about how difficult it is to get a first either. I think they tend to lump all "Superiors" together, although I do think Oxbridge graduates can get a slight boost (like HYP students get)

I agree more with d34dluk3 here, definitely a lock at CCN but HYS is a bit iffy. Hopefully one will bite, but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying at least one will.

Either way, best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks for the responses! I would be more than happy with one of the Cs.

My UG school isn't especially prestigious or well known internationally, but there is a big-shot T6 professor with 2 degrees from my school, so I'm hoping at least a few people reading my application will have heard of it. 1sts are uncommon at my university, but not quite as uncommon as they are at some British universities.

I've seen that Columbia seems to like high LSAT internationals, so fingers crossed!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:06 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Thanks for the responses! I would be more than happy with one of the Cs.

My UG school isn't especially prestigious or well known internationally, but there is a big-shot T6 professor with 2 degrees from my school, so I'm hoping at least a few people reading my application will have heard of it. 1sts are uncommon at my university, but not quite as uncommon as they are at some British universities.

I've seen that Columbia seems to like high LSAT internationals, so fingers crossed!
Hope to see you at CLS!
Q: HOW MANY INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS TYPICALLY ENROLL AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL?
A: Columbia Law School has a truly international student body. In the entering Class of 2009, approximately 10% of the J.D. program was comprised of international students and, across the entire J.D. program, Columbia law students currently hail from 32 countries around the world.
Columbia is among a small handful of law schools that integrates its J.D. and LL.M. student populations in both first-year and upper-year courses. The approximately 200 foreign-trained lawyers enrolled in our one-year LL.M. (Master of Laws) program each year serve further to enrich the student community, academically and otherwise, at Columbia Law School.
http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... ernational

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”