Chances at NYU with ED? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Moomoo2u

Bronze

Chances at NYU with ED?

Post by Moomoo2u » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:58 pm

I took the LSAT twice once in June of 2010 and got a 165 and again in October scoring a 170.

I went to McGill University (in Canada) and got a 3.4 GPA but have a 3.53 LSDAS GPA, and am also a URM. I speak 2 languages fluently (English and Spanish) and have a basic-intermediate understanding of French and Korean. I've studied in the USA, Spain, Canada and Korea all at the University level. I spent the last year teaching abroad in Spain.

I desperately want to attend NYU and applied this year but got waitlisted. I withdrew because I couldn't attend any law school for financial reasons anyway and was told that the waitlist was solely for people applying for admission to the class of 2014.

I was accepted at Georgetown and Cornell for 2011.

I took a look at lawschoolpredictor.com and the numbers you have here for NYU and while they aren't totally discouraging, they're not very encouraging either.

What would my chances be if I did ED for 2012? Also, I'm currently working at a law firm where many of the lawyers went to NYU Law, would having a letter of recommendation from one of them do anything?

Is there anything else I could do to improve my chances? Write a statement of purpose tailored to NYU? Could I write another very brief essay demonstrating that I want to go to NYU and why? Work as a paralegal in NYC?

Thank you in advance for any and all comments and advice!

ausoccer19

New

Re: Chances at NYU with ED?

Post by ausoccer19 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:11 pm

What type of URM?

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Latin American - hispanic

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:03 am

I think it's worth a shot. What can it hurt? I'd say your chances are probably less than 50/50, but it's not a complete waste of an application.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm going to be teaching English in Spain this coming year (in Madrid). How did you like it? I'm already at a pretty advanced level of Spanish and hoping I'll be fluent by the end of the academic year.

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:45 am

Are you doing the north american cultural assistants program? If so have fun! it's a great program and it's not exactly difficult work (although I've heard in Madrid it's fairly different) I was in Granada & I liked it a lot, more than anything for the amount of free time it gave me to study and try new things.

Thanks for the comment too

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can help my chances? Talking to admissions? writing a specific statement of purpose? etc..?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”