My shot at Brooklyn/Cardozo full ride with no stips Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
IronSkadden

New

My shot at Brooklyn/Cardozo full ride with no stips

Post by IronSkadden » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi there,

I'm interested in BigLaw, but I'm also interested in other areas of law and would appreciate some flexibility in my future career. With this in mind, I'm interested in a full ride no stipulation scholarship to Brooklyn or Cardozo (I want to practice in NY market). What are my chances at a no stip full ride?

Stats:

LSAT: 167 (retaking in Oct., believe I can increase score as my PT range topped out at 173)
GPA: 3.58
Ivy undergrad
3 years work experience (management-level) and other decent softs

Thanks for your input...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: My shot at Brooklyn/Cardozo full ride with no stips

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Do not apply to these schools with those stats. If you really love NY BigLaw, the worst school you should apply to is Fordham

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:53 pm

You won't get no stips from Brooklyn, it simply isn't done. The Cardozo stip isn't that bad though. I had very similar #s and got close to full from both. But also what the other guy said, you won't get biglaw from these schools.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:03 pm

You might as well just go to a T25 that will give you money (read NDLS, UIUC, WUSTL (maybe)) if you don't want to pay the ridiculous Fordham tuition. At least you will be able to find employment somewhere with decent grades and probably have the same shot at NY, though you will have to mass mail. The same cannot be said for Cardozo and Brooklyn.
Last edited by ndirish2010 on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:05 pm

You can't have it both ways. With your numbers you have to choose between whether you want a shot at biglaw or whether you want a full ride because you are not getting both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IronSkadden

New

Post by IronSkadden » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Any idea what type of numbers you need to get no stips at Dozo, then? I acknowledge that it's unlikely I will get BigLaw out of Cardozo, but am also interested in pursuing other areas of law, in which case a free legal education may come in handy...

blehGPAgoodLSAT

New

Post by blehGPAgoodLSAT » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:32 pm

It doesn't look impossible to do biglaw from Cardozo.

Because of OP's name, I looked up Skadden's NY office and it seems like they have a handful of Cardozo grads without ivy/prestigious UGs. The most recent of which was a 2008 Cardozo JD grad. I'm sure it's extremely difficult but not impossible. TLS is, more often than not, overly pessimistic about everything imo.

http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?conten ... bioID=7598

A couple earlier grads:
http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?conten ... bioID=2857
http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?conten ... bioID=3570

NY firm partners:
http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?contentID=45&bioID=516
http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?contentID=45&bioID=113

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:52 pm

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:It doesn't look impossible to do biglaw from Cardozo.

Because of OP's name, I looked up Skadden's NY office and it seems like they have a handful of Cardozo grads without ivy/prestigious UGs. The most recent of which was a 2008 Cardozo JD grad. I'm sure it's extremely difficult but not impossible. TLS is, more often than not, overly pessimistic about everything imo.

http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?conten ... bioID=7598

A couple earlier grads:
http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?conten ... bioID=2857
http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?conten ... bioID=3570

NY firm partners:
http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?contentID=45&bioID=516
http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?contentID=45&bioID=113
:roll:

There are going to be some students from practically any T1 school with a lot of options. Maybe to counter your Skadden search, you should go about looking to see how many BLS/Cardozo grads are either not working in the legal market or have horrible jobs. "[Y]ou won't get biglaw from these schools" refers to the fact that the vast majority of people from these schools are not going to be getting biglaw; I don't think it was meant as a blanket statement.

Long story short: Nobody doubts that the #1 Student/EIC of LR at Cardozo or Brooklyn is in a decent spot. Doesn't make going a better choice, because chances are, you're going to be one of the hundreds who aren't that student.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:27 pm

blehGPAgoodLSAT wrote:It doesn't look impossible to do biglaw from Cardozo.

lolololololol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Looks like all this time school doesn't matter and we've been lied to, look - you can get Skadden from Cal Western, or Cravath from New England Law School

Heck, NYLS has 3 partners and 5 associates at Skadden whereas Cardozo has 2 partners and 4 associates... Looks like TCR is to go to NYLS if you want Skadden.

areyouinsane

Bronze

Post by areyouinsane » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Bottom line is that 'Bozo and Brooklyn are terrible schools b/c of their location in the world's most competitive legal market. Besides NY schools Columbia, Cornell, NYU & Fordham, their students are competing with Top 14'ers from all over the country.

Once you remove realistic shot of Biglaw out of the equation, a JD from a TTT (esp an NYC area TTT) is essentially a worthless piece of toilet paper. Banks, consulting firms, and other non-legal employers are not going to be impressed by a 'Bozo or Brooklyn degree- hell, do you know how many wheelbarrow loads of resumes they already get from desperate TTT'ers looking for ANY job? Most career advisors actually recommend leaving a non Top 14 JD off one's resume altogether when applying for nonlegal work. Employers in this economy want cookie cutter resumes chock full of relevant, real-world experience, not also-ran washouts from TTT schools like 'Bozo.

Your likely "career" outcome from either school is sending hundreds of resumes to ads on craigslist and lawjobs.com and perhaps eventually score a job in insurance defense/plaintiff personal injury/landlord tenant/__(insert shitlaw practice area of you choice here).___ In all likelihood, said job will pay south of 50 K and involve long hours, poor to non-existent health benefits, and no opportunity for advancement or landing a job in a more respected practice area.

Based on the above, either re-take and make damn sure you get into a T 14 or else move on and do something else. Don't for a minute think there's any "intangible" value or collateral benefit to having a TTT JD. There isn't.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm

areyouinsane wrote:Bottom line is that 'Bozo and Brooklyn are terrible schools b/c of their location in the world's most competitive legal market.
Actually I think the legal market they reside in is one of the most respectable things about these schools.

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:50 pm

I have the same lsat and a higher gpa and did not get full from either of these schools , brooklyn has redic stips, and dozo was fair like previously noted, i also got 10k from fordham

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

areyouinsane

Bronze

Post by areyouinsane » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:10 pm

i also got 10k from fordham
Even Fordham isn't worth it in this economy w/out a full or almost full ride. Sure, it's head and shoulders above laughingstock, diploma- mill embarrassments like 'Bozo and Brooklyn, but still you have to do pretty damn well at Fordham to score proper NYC biglaw. You're still nothing but a "tall midget" for Biglaw hiring purposes, as compared to elite Top 14 grads.

I've seen firsthand how many Fordhamites are grinding away in dead-end doc review temp jobs for the same crappy shitpay as mouth breathing TTT losers like me.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:33 am

areyouinsane wrote:Bottom line is that 'Bozo and Brooklyn are terrible schools b/c of their location in the world's most competitive legal market.
Yea...Not DC, NYC is the most competitive.

Just a hint..."areyouinsane" is a total troll who is a bitter retard

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:40 am

What's with all the hate? A full-ride to one of those schools is a good deal.

You're unlikely (<10%) to get Biglaw, but did you really want that shit anyway? I had never fucking heard of Biglaw before applying to law school, and now not getting it would seem like a disaster.

You won't have debt, so not landing BL isn't actually a disaster, and if you keep your head clear then it won't be a psychological disaster either. Full rides are never a bad deal; they are only capable of looking bad when compared to another offer (e.g., sticker at CCN).

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:40 am

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

Bitter, yes. A retard, no. Many of his points are correct, though I agree that NYC is not the most competitive market right now.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:41 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

Bitter, yes. A retard, no. Many of his points are correct, though I agree that NYC is not the most competitive market right now.
4:30am?

Jesus, dude, I thought you had a firm gig?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”