does your undergrad university prestige matter? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
emc

New

does your undergrad university prestige matter?

Post by emc » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 pm

As a history major and philosophy minor, I have a 3.8 from a smaller liberal arts university in the northwest.

Will my gpa be viewed differently since it is not from a more prestigious school, and perhaps not perceived as strong? My best friend attends Berkeley as an undergrad, but has a lesser gpa by a few points, around a 3.5 or 3.6. Does she appear more attractive because of her higher ranked undergrad school regardless of a slightly lower gpa?

Thanks!!

KevinP

Silver

Re: does your undergrad university prestige matter?

Post by KevinP » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:11 pm

In general, no, school prestige won't make a difference at all.

Only time that I can think of that it might matter is an extremely slight boost for HYP or a slight boost for attending the law school's UG.

oshik87

New

Post by oshik87 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Delete
Last edited by oshik87 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:20 pm

Agreed that it can be a tie-breaker on a candidate-by-candidate basis.

However, my 3.9 from a state school looks better than that 3.5 from UChicago in the eyes of admission offices. Thus, in OPs instance, s/he is probably in a better position for admittance to law school than their friend.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:22 pm

oshik87 wrote:
KevinP wrote:In general, no, school prestige won't make a difference at all.

Only time that I can think of that it might matter is an extremely slight boost for HYP or a slight boost for attending the law school's UG.
^^This is nonsense. Of course schools will see a 3.5 from UChicago and 3.5 from Loyola Chicago differently.
Yeah, if they have identical LSAT scores, work experience, personal statements, etc. and there happens to be only one spot left in the class that must go to one of the two. Then it might be used as a factor.

Anyway, OP, there are dozens (if not hundreds) of threads on this topic, so use the search function at the bottom of the page and you'll have as many opinions on this as you could ever want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oshik87

New

Post by oshik87 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:22 pm

It also depends on the school to which you're applying and who is reviewing your file. As far as I know, almost every law school website says what school you went to is definitely a factor.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:23 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote: in OPs instance, s/he is probably absolutely in a better position for admittance to law school than their friend.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:25 pm

oshik87 wrote:It also depends on the school to which you're applying and who is reviewing your file. As far as I know, almost every law school website says what school you went to is definitely a factor.
Do you also believe the schools who say personal statements, LORs, and resumes are all very important and then proceed to admit 99% of applicants based on their LSAT/GPA?

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:27 pm

oshik87 wrote:

^^This is nonsense. Of course schools will see a 3.5 from UChicago and 3.5 from Loyola Chicago differently.
U.S. News doesn't see them differently. Why would law schools (in most cases) given that they highly care about US News rankings?

This doesn't go against my statement since I spoke in general terms.
A 3.55 from Loyola Chicago will almost exclusively fare better than 3.5 from UChicago, given everything else is equal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oshik87

New

Post by oshik87 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Dany wrote:
oshik87 wrote:It also depends on the school to which you're applying and who is reviewing your file. As far as I know, almost every law school website says what school you went to is definitely a factor.
Do you also believe the schools who say personal statements, LORs, and resumes are all very important and then proceed to admit 99% of applicants based on their LSAT/GPA?
Nope, just responding to the first responder who says it won't make a difference at all, when it might.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:32 pm

oshik87 wrote:
Dany wrote:
Nope, just responding to the first responder who says it won't make a difference at all, when it might.
Nice way to build up a straw man argument.

Lagunitan

New

Post by Lagunitan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Last edited by Lagunitan on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:44 pm

yes it matters youve already lost give up all hoap

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Did you go to HYP? If not, it doesn't matter at all. If so, it matters slightly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”