3.06/157, strong softs Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
baitkenh

New

3.06/157, strong softs

Post by baitkenh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:23 pm

I know these numbers suck, especially for the ultra-competitive members of this board. I know I should retake, and I've already registered. I just want to know exactly where I stand at the moment. I'm a non-traditional applicant, and I've got some great accomplishments under my belt (leadership positions, public service occupation, data-verified success, etc), and I'm a respected professional in my field. I can get quality letters as well. I'm hoping this is enough to distance myself from my horrible LSAC GPA.

What are my chances at the following schools: LMU, San Diego, UNLV, Hawaii. Full/part time?

My hopes have been savagely crushed once today. If you crush them again, please don't be savage about it (I.E. please no sarcastic, "maybe you have a chance at Cooley" type b.s.). I just need honest opinions. Thanks TLS posters.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: 3.06/157, strong softs

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Unfortunately, the extra stuff is just fluff. It won't have much of an impact. Have you checked LSN to see how those numbers compare to the schools you are looking at?

LSATPREPPER

New

Post by LSATPREPPER » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Rejected - San Diego
Really Really Small Shot - Nevada
Small Shot - Hawaii
----------------
You will have a few shots in unranked programs but if you are already successful in your current career path, why law school with these numbers?
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm is fairly accurate.

baitkenh

New

Post by baitkenh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:16 am

LSATPREPPER wrote:Rejected - San Diego
Really Really Small Shot - Nevada
Small Shot - Hawaii
----------------
You will have a few shots in unranked programs but if you are already successful in your current career path, why law school with these numbers?
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm is fairly accurate.
Thank you those of you who responded. Well, like most people who frequent this site, I had dreams of attending a great law school. I was doing around 166 on my practice tests, so I had a reason to believe I could attend a great law school and become a public defender. I still do, and I'm not giving up on that dream just yet.

I ask about these schools because I think they're acceptable if push comes to shove, and I can always bust my butt and transfer after L1 (which, I know, is much easier said than done). I actually used LSP and I noticed that with a higher GPA, I would have a shot at those schools with my LSAT. I'm trying to figure out to what extent my resume could offset my GPA. I don't actually think it's "fluff," but I don't think it's a guarantee of anything either. I checked out LSN and I noticed there are some non-URMs who made it in to those schools with my numbers, probably on the strength of some softs.

This whole experience has really reinforced how much life is NOT a game of numbers, unlike law school admissions. I seriously hate the LSAT, and I hope you prospective students realize that you're more than your score, or your degree. I sincerely hope you all find a way to make the world better with your YHS degrees, because if you don't, they don't mean shit.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:24 am

I had exactly your numbers 3.05/157. I went to Southwestern for 1L and transferred to LLS with top 20% grades. Frankly, I was lucky to get into Southwestern. I too had delusions of getting into a better school at the time. I had taken the February LSAT and applied late in the cycle. If you are on the older side, and don't care about making the big bucks, you can try to get into Southwestern - but plan to stay there if you go. Unfortunately, there is no way you are getting into Loyola or USD with that GPA unless you get a 163-164 LSAT. And unless you are from Hawaii I doubt you are getting in there either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baitkenh

New

Post by baitkenh » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 am

Danteshek wrote:I had exactly your numbers 3.05/157. I went to Southwestern for 1L and transferred to LLS with top 20% grades. Frankly, I was lucky to get into Southwestern. I too had delusions of getting into a better school at the time. I had taken the February LSAT and applied late in the cycle. If you are on the older side, and don't care about making the big bucks, you can try to get into Southwestern - but plan to stay there if you go. Unfortunately, there is no way you are getting into Loyola or USD with that GPA unless you get a 163-164 LSAT. And unless you are from Hawaii I doubt you are getting in there either.
I appreciate the candidness, and your input is highly valued since you've literally been in about the same situation. I guess I will stay at my secure job and retake until I can realize my dream.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:47 am

baitkenh wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I had exactly your numbers 3.05/157. I went to Southwestern for 1L and transferred to LLS with top 20% grades. Frankly, I was lucky to get into Southwestern. I too had delusions of getting into a better school at the time. I had taken the February LSAT and applied late in the cycle. If you are on the older side, and don't care about making the big bucks, you can try to get into Southwestern - but plan to stay there if you go. Unfortunately, there is no way you are getting into Loyola or USD with that GPA unless you get a 163-164 LSAT. And unless you are from Hawaii I doubt you are getting in there either.
I appreciate the candidness, and your input is highly valued since you've literally been in about the same situation. I guess I will stay at my secure job and retake until I can realize my dream.
No worries. I think you should take it again once. If you can get a 163+ you will be in a good position for some good schools. If you miss the mark, but still want to go to law school, I suggest you go part time to Southwestern (LLS if you can get in) and keep your job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”