Chances at Howard Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dwLawSchool2012

New

Chances at Howard

Post by dwLawSchool2012 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 am

AA Male
2.6 GPA
165 LSAT
Hometown (if it matters): Washington, DC

I will be entering my last year of college and I'm wondering if my fall grades will help.

mrtoren

Silver

Re: Chances at Howard

Post by mrtoren » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:54 pm

dwLawSchool2012 wrote:AA Male
2.6 GPA
165 LSAT

I will be entering my last year of college and I'm wondering if my fall grades will help.
Pretty much guaranteed admittance. The average LSAT at that school is a 153, the average GPA is a 3.2. Even though it is a historically AA school, you should aim higher with your numbers. Look into Catholic or American if you want to stay in D.C. or check out surrounding schools with better rankings.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Last edited by BruceWayne on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwLawSchool2012

New

Post by dwLawSchool2012 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:10 pm

@BruceWayne

Thats the reason why I want to go to howard because I might not get into a T-14. Plus I want to work at a top law firm.....I currently intern at a law firm in DC and its one of the top firms in DC...i been in connection with them since high school and eventually want to be an associate there.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:14 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
mrtoren wrote:
dwLawSchool2012 wrote:AA Male
2.6 GPA
165 LSAT

Pretty much guaranteed admittance. The average LSAT at that school is a 153, the average GPA is a 3.2. Even though it is a historically AA school, you should aim higher with your numbers. Look into Catholic or American if you want to stay in D.C. or check out surrounding schools with better rankings.
Hell no. If you want to stay in DC and can't get into a top 14 school (maybe even HYS CC only at that--which probably isn't happening with a 2.6) go Howard. A part of me wonders if I should have went to Howard myself.
BruceWayne - where did you end up going, anyway?

Also, I believe that it would be a mistake to say that OP would be better off at Howard than at most of the T50 (if they are where he/she wants to practice). Have you looked at law school transparency's information on Howard? It's really not as great as the number and variety of employers at OCI would indicate.

I have performed attorney searches at many top firms that recruit from there and almost all Howard graduates were either 1) staff or 2) latin honors, and from what I have seen, there are only a few outliers. On the other hand, many URM's at these firms that went to T50s or better (generally) weren't latin honors or staff.

dwLawSchool2012

New

Post by dwLawSchool2012 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 pm

@Aberzombie1892

If it helps, I want to practice law in DC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”