160/3.6 GPA Teach for America URM (Hispanic Female) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
benavidez22

New

160/3.6 GPA Teach for America URM (Hispanic Female)

Post by benavidez22 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Hello all,

Intend on applying to law school this coming fall and just wanted to get some opinions on where I stand. Am hoping to attend law school in California, but am open to suggestions outside the state as well. My stats are:

1. GPA: 3.65 (Double Major: Political Science and Sociology)

2. LSAT: 160

3. URM (Hispanic Female...am also a lesbian, but do not see this as being important in the admissions process)

4. Currently am finishing up my first year in Teach for America (New Orleans), will complete my two years of service by May 2012.

5. Work experiences includes an internship at a courthouse where I assisted low income individuals with family law and/or housing law issues (i.e. completing paperwork for evicitions, divorces, restraining orders, etc.); college transfer advisor; and good ol' customer service (I know the last two aren't relevant, but just giving an overall picture).

From what I have read my chances of getting into a school ranked 35-100 are pretty good, however am wondering what are my chances at schools ranked above the 30 mark (specifically USC and/or UCLA). Would a boost in my LSAT by 3-5 points make a significant difference in terms of where I could get accpeted? (I know any increase would be good, but do not want to take a chance and re-take if the impact won't be great).

Any suggestions about schools (in or outside of CA) or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

B

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: 160/3.6 GPA Teach for America URM (Hispanic Female)

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun May 01, 2011 7:19 pm

What type of hispanic? It actually matters.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun May 01, 2011 7:21 pm

I think you have a shot at those schools with URM and TFA if you can pull a 163. And I'm sure you would get Davis, Hastings and Loyola

benavidez22

New

Post by benavidez22 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:47 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:What type of hispanic? It actually matters.
Mexican

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun May 01, 2011 7:56 pm

benavidez22 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:What type of hispanic? It actually matters.
Mexican
If it's your first attempt: prep, retake ~172. Enjoy Top 14 with Scholly, or maybe Harvard. Enjoy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”