144/3.0 not really a great chance at anything but Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bsmash

New

144/3.0 not really a great chance at anything but

Post by bsmash » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:52 am

Hey guys i bombed my lsat... 144... planning on taking it again in june but still waiting to here back from nova southeastern.

Right now the only thing i have going for me is a wait list for summer conditional at St Thomas in florida.
I am currently under "committee review" at nova.

Anyone see any chance of me maybe sneaking into to either program? If not I am just going to take the test again and shoot for around 160 because during prep tests i was scoring about 153. so if I keep studying maybe i can get close to 160 and get in somewhere more respectable.

Thanks guys

Verity

Silver

Re: 144/3.0 not really a great chance at anything but

Post by Verity » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 am

bsmash wrote:Hey guys i bombed my lsat... 144... planning on taking it again in june but still waiting to here back from nova southeastern.

Right now the only thing i have going for me is a wait list for summer conditional at St Thomas in florida.

Anyone see any chance of me maybe sneaking into to either program? If not I am just going to take the test again and shoot for around 160 because during prep tests i was scoring about 153. so if I keep studying maybe i can get close to 160 and get in somewhere more respectable.

Thanks guys

Let me be blunt: DO NOT GO TO NOVA. Don't go to St. Thomas either. Do not waste your time and money. Retake. Study for a year if necessary. You have no idea how important it is. You could get into U Florida with a 162 or better.

Taffybear2

New

Post by Taffybear2 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:56 am

Yes to the last part of your post. Study for the lsat, wait a year and attend those schools for free or get into a much better school.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:59 am

i have faith that anyone can get 160 if you put the time in. just study your ass off and reapply.

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:02 pm

OP,

Even if you sneak into one of the programs you should retake. You don't want to pay sticker for those schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Verity wrote:Let me be blunt: DO NOT GO TO NOVA. Don't go to St. Thomas either. Do not waste your time and money. Retake. Study for a year if necessary. You have no idea how important it is. You could get into U Florida with a 162 or better.
TITCR. Even if you get into one of these schools, do not take the easy route and just go to one of these right away. Re-take the LSAT. Going to one of these schools would be a disaster.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:04 pm

144 isn't that bad, plus 3.0 is a good gpa, maybe try apply to more schools if these don't work out?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:08 pm

red_alertz wrote:144 isn't that bad, plus 3.0 is a good gpa, maybe try apply to more schools if these don't work out?
I like your style of flame FRIEND.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:09 pm

red_alertz wrote:144 isn't that bad, plus 3.0 is a good gpa, maybe try apply to more schools if these don't work out?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:09 pm

?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Veyron wrote:
I like your style of flame FRIEND.
Red Alertz is a pretty diligent flame.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:14 pm

bsmash wrote:Hey guys i bombed my lsat... 144... planning on taking it again in june but still waiting to here back from nova southeastern.

Thanks guys
I agree with everything that has been said.

Regardless, you could apply to Texas Southern, Southern, North Carolina Central, FAMU, Thomas M. Cooley, etc. if you insist on your reckless life choice (assuming you don't retake).

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:26 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
144 is below average, but there are plenty of ppl who get worse than 144, and I would've begged for a 3.0

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:33 pm

red_alertz wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
144 is below average, but there are plenty of ppl who get worse than 144, and I would've begged for a 3.0
144/3.0 is about as bad of law school statistics as a person can have. And anything below average on the LSAT is just atrocious. No school that has a sub-150 LSAT median is even remotely respectable or has even decent job prospects. So... yeah. Thanks for playing.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
144/3.0 is about as bad of law school statistics as a person can have. And anything below average on the LSAT is just atrocious. No school that has a sub-150 LSAT median is even remotely respectable or has even decent job prospects. So... yeah. Thanks for playing.
as bad as can have? what about 134/2.0 then? only the LSAT is slightly below what some schools may look for, and the GPA is solid

blazinswordofjustice

New

Post by blazinswordofjustice » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 pm

romothesavior wrote: So... yeah. Thanks for playing.
+11

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:45 pm

This thread is silly.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:57 pm

red_alertz wrote:as bad as can have? what about 134/2.0 then? only the LSAT is slightly below what some schools may look for, and the GPA is solid
NFL Scout: "Wow, this guy is slow. His 5.0 40-time is about as bad as it gets. We shouldn't draft him."
Red_alertz: "But he could have like a 10.0 and that would be worse! Herpy derpy!"

Also, you are conflating "getting into law school" with "getting into a good law school." His LSAT is really, really bad, regardless if there is some shithole law school that will take him. If I got an 18 on my ACT and still got into an online university, I don't think anyone would hesitate to say that my ACT score sucked.

OP, all is not lost. You have a low GPA and a very low LSAT, but you can make up for that low GPA with a great LSAT. You need to get a 160+ (probably more like a 165+) to have a shot at decent options for cheap. Study hard and retake.

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 pm

144 is below average, but there are plenty of ppl who get worse than 144, and I would've begged for a 3.0[/quote]
144/3.0 is about as bad of law school statistics as a person can have. And anything below average on the LSAT is just atrocious. No school that has a sub-150 LSAT median is even remotely respectable or has even decent job prospects. So... yeah. Thanks for playing.[/quote]

as bad as can have? what about 134/2.0 then? only the LSAT is slightly below what some schools may look for, and the GPA is solid[/quote]

This is ridiculous. You can apply to schools with a 134/2.0, but do you really want to go to those schools? It is irresponsible to make such a big financial commitment to get a degree that will not help you obtain gainful employment. Hell, one can get an on-line law degree and sit for the CA bar w/o a LSAT score. You can do it, but should you? I was on the fence about going to law school, and I was accepted into several t30 schools

Disclaimer: if OP has a job already and the degree is to supplement his job, then what I said does not matter.

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:25 pm

lhlee wrote:144 is below average, but there are plenty of ppl who get worse than 144, and I would've begged for a 3.0
144/3.0 is about as bad of law school statistics as a person can have. And anything below average on the LSAT is just atrocious. No school that has a sub-150 LSAT median is even remotely respectable or has even decent job prospects. So... yeah. Thanks for playing.[/quote]

as bad as can have? what about 134/2.0 then? only the LSAT is slightly below what some schools may look for, and the GPA is solid[/quote]

This is ridiculous. You can apply to schools with a 134/2.0, but do you really want to go to those schools? It is irresponsible to make such a big financial commitment to get a degree that will not help you obtain gainful employment. Hell, one can get an on-line law degree and sit for the CA bar w/o a LSAT score. You can do it, but should you? I was on the fence about going to law school, and I was accepted into several t30 schools

Disclaimer: if OP has a job already and the degree is to supplement his job, then what I said does not matter.[/quote]

bragging abt your own achievements doesn't help OP here, that's outright condescending, help OP to get the best he can in his own particular situation, not everyone can score as high on the lsat as u did, so hope that helps ur ego

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:47 pm

red_alertz wrote:
lhlee wrote:144 is below average, but there are plenty of ppl who get worse than 144, and I would've begged for a 3.0

Disclaimer: if OP has a job already and the degree is to supplement his job, then what I said does not matter.[/quote]

bragging abt your own achievements doesn't help OP here, that's outright condescending, help OP to get the best he can in his own particular situation, not everyone can score as high on the lsat as u did, so hope that helps ur ego[/quote]

No, I am not bragging. In fact, everyone told me that my score was too low to get into a "decent" school. I'm using it as an example to show that people have problems making a 150K investment in going to a T30, much less a TTT at sticker.

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:56 pm

OP, please ignore red-alertz...and listen to the advice of Nearly Every Single Other Person on TLS (and ITT). Retake your LSAT for a good shot at much better schools.

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:26 pm

I am surprised at how kind everyone has been lately. It seems that only a short while ago these threads consisted of everyone telling the OP "DON'T EVAR GO TO LAW SCHOOL".

Regardless, in the spirit of kindness, I also suggest retaking and reapplying. Check out http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/ for non-tls study advice and decent study schedules.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:14 pm

Based on glancing at the LSN charts, to get into UF or FSU (the only schools in FL that are worth attending IMO), you would need a score in the upper-160s to make up for the lowish GPA and stand a good chance of acceptance. Do not sell yourself short and settle for schools that will leave you with mountains of debt and atrocious job prospects. Treat prepping for the LSAT as a part-time job--there's a wealth of resources on here (Pithypike's guide is universally lauded around here) and on the blog the poster above me mentioned. Good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”