172/ 3.42 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rainrainrain

New

172/ 3.42

Post by rainrainrain » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:41 am

Just curious on what level (level the appropriate word?) of schools to begin researching, interested but may pursue alternative paths. Interest derived from some coursework, family member in legal realm and some correspondence with current law students (again, will be searching more into this)

Strong LOR
major: psych/ neuroscience
2+ years work experience once I apply (TFA)
2.5 years of research as undergrad student...primarily clinical.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Re: 172/ 3.42

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 am

rainrainrain wrote:Just curious on what level (level the appropriate word?) of schools to begin researching, interested but may pursue alternative paths. Interest derived from some coursework, family member in legal realm and some correspondence with current law students (again, will be searching more into this)

Strong LOR
major: psych/ neuroscience
2+ years work experience once I apply (TFA)
2.5 years of research as undergrad student...primarily clinical.
top 14 law schools

TFA helps you quite a bit

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:48 am

Blanket the bottom half of the T14, CCN may be a reach for you, although you have a shot at NYU esp. with ED. If you ED at MVP you have a solid chance.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 am

Apply RD to MVP and DNCG. If you ED to any of MVP you have a good chance of getting one. Consider applying to schools you could expect to recieve scholarships at that offer decent job prospects, in particular think about UCLA, Texas, USC, Vanderbilt, GW, BU, and BC. If you want to try for CCN you might want to consider an ED to NYU.

Look over the above schools, edit as you see fit. Good luck.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:44 pm

buckilaw wrote:Apply RD to MVP and DNCG. If you ED to any of MVP you have a good chance of getting one. Consider applying to schools you could expect to recieve scholarships at that offer decent job prospects, in particular think about UCLA, Texas, USC, Vanderbilt, GW, BU, and BC. If you want to try for CCN you might want to consider an ED to NYU.

Look over the above schools, edit as you see fit. Good luck.
I would probably ED UChi instead of NYU. They take lower gpas and your LSAT is 75%.
but blanket Penn to GULC and Vanderbilt. Safety at WUSTL, Minnesota and Illinois (but only if you want to go free; you will get into at least one T14 school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm calling it super early but enjoy Ann Arbor.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't know about Michigan. They seem harder to predict than people think. I got waitlisted with a 3.5/172, two years WE including a lot of interesting public service, etc, plus strong interest displayed through essays and follow-ups.

However, I think you can expect to be competitive at MVP, not B, and definitely expect Northwestern, Georgetown, and Cornell. Duke's up in the air. Also consider Texas and Vandy.

rainrainrain

New

Post by rainrainrain » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 pm

I thank you all for the replies. This gives me a solid foundation of where to begin looking (I still have some time before applications would be begun...more than one year...ha). Now, I will reveal my naive understanding of this whole process: while I have done some research and some questioning, I am curious if it is to one's fortune to have a concrete understanding of what they wish to do with their law degree or if a more malleable sense is expected, if not encouraged? What do you all think? Do any of you have a specific path outlined, or do you hope to try a few until you stumble down one you enjoy?

Another question (and I know a lot of this has is hypothetical as a) I have yet to apply b) yet to be accepted c) who knows what will happen):
Let's say I received money from a top 20, but was accepted at a T14 with no money (all other things being equal i.e. content with either school, good fit, can afford both though one will be easier to do due to money)...what would you guys do? Obviously, I would put a lot of thought and research into such an event, but I am curious about how you all would act in such a situation. Maybe it is my proclivity towards random psychology fancies...no...not that. Just curious!

Thanks again for all the response.

wolfpack37

New

Post by wolfpack37 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:24 am

tag

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:26 pm

rainrainrain wrote:I thank you all for the replies. This gives me a solid foundation of where to begin looking (I still have some time before applications would be begun...more than one year...ha). Now, I will reveal my naive understanding of this whole process: while I have done some research and some questioning, I am curious if it is to one's fortune to have a concrete understanding of what they wish to do with their law degree or if a more malleable sense is expected, if not encouraged? What do you all think? Do any of you have a specific path outlined, or do you hope to try a few until you stumble down one you enjoy?

Another question (and I know a lot of this has is hypothetical as a) I have yet to apply b) yet to be accepted c) who knows what will happen):
Let's say I received money from a top 20, but was accepted at a T14 with no money (all other things being equal i.e. content with either school, good fit, can afford both though one will be easier to do due to money)...what would you guys do? Obviously, I would put a lot of thought and research into such an event, but I am curious about how you all would act in such a situation. Maybe it is my proclivity towards random psychology fancies...no...not that. Just curious!

Thanks again for all the response.
depends on the school, depends on the money, depends on the locations

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”