156/3.6 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
anni

Bronze

156/3.6

Post by anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Good PS
Great LOR, plus one from my boss which probably wasn't amazing
Average experience
Non-URM

I am still waiting on Baylor and Houston but anticipating rejections so I wanted to get others' opinions. At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance. Also, is it worth throwing an application in anywhere else this late in the game?? I'm also not sure if I can ask to be reconsidered for SMU PT after FT rejection.
Yes I understand, low LSAT (2nd retake, but was still PTing higher than this), but any help is greatly appreciated as I am really worried:(

99.9luft

Silver

Re: 156/3.6

Post by 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:42 pm

please retake and reapply

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 pm

anni wrote:At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance.
Personally, I wouldn't want to enroll under these circumstances.

I know it's difficult to hear, but I recommend a retake. Have you studied as hard/efficiently as possible? The LSAT forum on this website is very helpful; in part due to the help and resources available in there, I gained 5 points on my retake. If you are able to do the same, you'll get accepted at some good schools and possibly get a scholarship.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 pm

You should never feel "backed into a corner" with law school. Retake, and apply to better schools that you WANT to go to, not the schools that you have to settle on.

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm

ATR wrote:
anni wrote:At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance.

I know it's difficult to hear, but I recommend a retake. Have you studied as hard/efficiently as possible? The LSAT forum on this website is very helpful; in part due to the help and resources available in there, I gained 5 points on my retake. If you are able to do the same, you'll get accepted at some good schools and possibly get a scholarship.

I was PTing higher before both administrations, and I know I could do better if I try again. But how does a 3rd retake look? If I do hypothetically score say 5 more points, would this significantly improve my chances if all other aspects of my app stay relatively the same?

Thanks sooo much everyone for the not snobby feedback!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 pm

anni wrote:
ATR wrote:

I was PTing higher before both administrations, and I know I could do better if I try again. But how does a 3rd retake look? If I do hypothetically score say 5 more points, would this significantly improve my chances if all other aspects of my app stay relatively the same?

Thanks sooo much everyone for the not snobby feedback!
as long as you raise your score (5 points is great, and 14 is even better), no one cares if this is your 3rd or even 4th try.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 pm

I took it 3 times and my cycle has gone according to my last (and highest) score. Retake and reapply!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:14 pm

99.9luft wrote:as long as you raise your score (5 points is great, and 14 is even better), no one cares if this is your 3rd or even 4th try.
This little school cares

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:17 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
99.9luft wrote:as long as you raise your score (5 points is great, and 14 is even better), no one cares if this is your 3rd or even 4th try.
This little school cares
lol...definitely don't plan on aiming that high, I'll be more realistic than that. :)
but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
This little school cares
even if my 3.6 were a 3.9, i wouldn't wanna go there anyway (maybe that's why i mentally blocked it out). but yes, you are technically correct.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 pm

anni wrote:Good PS
Great LOR, plus one from my boss which probably wasn't amazing
Average experience
Non-URM

I am still waiting on Baylor and Houston but anticipating rejections so I wanted to get others' opinions. At this point, I feel like I'm backed into a corner with St. Mary's as my only plausible acceptance. Also, is it worth throwing an application in anywhere else this late in the game?? I'm also not sure if I can ask to be reconsidered for SMU PT after FT rejection.
Yes I understand, low LSAT (2nd retake, but was still PTing higher than this), but any help is greatly appreciated as I am really worried:(
Ouch. Stay away from law school.

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 pm

anni wrote: but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.
NoJob wrote:

I spoke too soon.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:10 pm

anni wrote:
anni wrote: but seriously thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate not getting snobby rude replies for once.
NoJob wrote:

I spoke too soon.
I'm shocked it lasted as long as it did.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 pm

anni wrote:
NoJob wrote:

I spoke too soon.
There is no nice way of telling you to avoid fucking up your life. You do not have the stats to get into a good enough school to make it worth the risk. Not even a T50. You are better off staying away from the law period unless you can get into one of the top schools in the country. It looks like you can't do it so don't go. Otherwise, you will wind up in a lot of debt working in either shitlaw or in doc review until your job is outsourced to India.

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 pm

NoJob wrote:
anni wrote:
NoJob wrote:

I spoke too soon.
There is no nice way of telling you to avoid fucking up your life. You do not have the stats to get into a good enough school to make it worth the risk. Not even a T50. You are better off staying away from the law period unless you can get into one of the top schools in the country. It looks like you can't do it so don't go. Otherwise, you will wind up in a lot of debt working in either shitlaw or in doc review until your job is outsourced to India.
You should probably just stop giving advice. You think you know the legal market because you check up on a forum every once in awhile? Charles Barkley has more insighful thoughts than you do. What if the OP's aspirations are to simply go to a regional school and stay employed in that area? With a 3.6/156 you can still get into Tier 2 range.

My advice, based soley on your numbers, is to try to retake the LSAT. Research this forum, there is an abundance of advice on how to do well on the test. Set up a plan, either take the test in June/October and see what happens. Then punch your numbers into the law school predictor and see what schools you would have a decent shot at getting accepted to.

anni

Bronze

Post by anni » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
anni wrote:
NoJob wrote:

I spoke too soon.
I'm shocked it lasted as long as it did.
+1
buckythebadger wrote:
NoJob wrote:
anni wrote:
NoJob wrote:

I spoke too soon.
You should probably just stop giving advice. You think you know the legal market because you check up on a forum every once in awhile? Charles Barkley has more insighful thoughts than you do. What if the OP's aspirations are to simply go to a regional school and stay employed in that area? With a 3.6/156 you can still get into Tier 2 range.

My advice, based soley on your numbers, is to try to retake the LSAT. Research this forum, there is an abundance of advice on how to do well on the test. Set up a plan, either take the test in June/October and see what happens. Then punch your numbers into the law school predictor and see what schools you would have a decent shot at getting accepted to.
This. and I did get into tier 2, just not schools I can see myself paying for.
When my cycle ends I'm going to figure out how to go about retaking. :(
Thanks everyone!!

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:23 pm

buckythebadger wrote:
NoJob wrote:
anni wrote:
NoJob wrote:

I spoke too soon.
Buddy, I have been an employed attorney for a number of years. I have seen many good people's lives ruined by law schools and the profession. I know people in biglaw, shitlaw, and doc review. Most attorneys I know regrets their decision to go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”