3.17/159/retake? - specific question about retaken classes Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
incase2011

New

3.17/159/retake? - specific question about retaken classes

Post by incase2011 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:18 pm

So I applied this cycle against the sound advice of other posters. My results are back, my parents want me to just go somewhere and get it over with... but I know I can do much, much better on the LSAT given more time to study. Transferring to a decent school is gonna be tough no matter the circumstances.

As I consider waiting, I'm hoping someone could give me some insight on something, discussed on here a few months back. My UGPA includes a horrible semester in which I pretty much got all Fs and a subsequent ac. pro. from which I quickly recovered. My grades remained covered for LSAC because of my UGs method. My transcript goes up and down (not a great trend). I just got a job at a law firm, but before that, I was working in entertainment (stripping haha).

I definitely could work for a year in a fairly relevant capacity. I'm just thinking because my softs are rocky at best, and my LSAC GPA, by all rights, should be much lower, should I take Miami at sticker? I mean Miami is one thing, but (bare with me on the bs LSAT hopes) if I can score high enough to contend as a splitter in the T20 range, will they take me seriously (possible scholarships, acceptances, acknowledgment of application receipt lol), or should I be thankful for what I got and look for a transfer if possible after 1L?

SMA22

Bronze

Re: 3.17/159/retake? - specific question about retaken classes

Post by SMA22 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:27 pm

I know it's hard when parents/friends/coworkers want you to "get law school over with," but you have to live with the consequences, not them. Retake, big time, and never count on a transfer. Even if you did transfer (HUGE if there), you'd still be paying sticker whereven you went. Get a high enough LSAT, and you can get into a better school with $$.

I have a similar UGPA and went from a 159 to a 171 with a little bit of practice. Made a big difference in my cycle.

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Thank you! Both my parents are practicing lawyers, but I think their advice is a little dated. What worried me most is that top law schools will see my LSAC GPA as inflated because of the retaken courses that remained covered, which is pretty unusual from what I've heard.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:41 pm

incase2011 wrote:Thank you! Both my parents are practicing lawyers, but I think their advice is a little dated. What worried me most is that top law schools will see my LSAC GPA as inflated because of the retaken courses that remained covered, which is pretty unusual from what I've heard.

Agreed, what you could do even a decade ago with a bottom T1/T2 has changed significantly. Don't worry so much about how a school will perceive your LSAC GPA--they report the 3.17. You will have to prove to them that you're a serious candidate and capable of doing well in law school. A great LSAT will help, and another year of WE at a firm will help as well.

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Very much appreciated SMA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”