3.87GPA / Female Combat Veteran/Pilot Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Cavgirl

New

3.87GPA / Female Combat Veteran/Pilot

Post by Cavgirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Need honest advice on what to shoot for regarding my LSAT score to have a chance at T14. Obviously, I will be aiming for 180, but need some thoughts on a respectable score. Taking the LSAT in June and applying for 2012.

Some info: (I figure some might be held against me, i.e. age.)

3.87GPA (poli sci maj/chem minor)
ROTC
37 yo female
Combat veteran / helo pilot
Bronze Star
Air Medal
Purple Heart
disabled husband
two kids

Took LSAT in 2005 and got a 168 but can honestly say, I didn't study for it as I was in the process of my discharge and having severe medical issues at the time. Not an excuse, just the truth.

Also, I assume some schools are more vet-friendly than others. Any insights?

Your time is much appreciated.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: 3.87GPA / Female Combat Veteran/Pilot

Post by tourdeforcex » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:09 pm

you're clearly a non-traditional applicant so it's hard to say.

military experience is, according to TLS, a pretty solid soft. but then again also a soft. but if you were to say that your age is held against you, i would say that your military ex washes that away

i suggest finding others who are older w/ military ex and see what they have to say. also peruse lawschoolnumbers.com for similar situations.

a 168 starting is solid. i say just do the best you can--if you can break 172, you're pretty definite in getting T14

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:13 pm

170+ to get in to multiple T-14 schools. 173+ for the opportunity to get substantial scholarships. Best of luck.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Honestly, with a 168 and that GPA + softs you could probably crack the T14 (Cornell, maybe Mich), but a 170 would put you in really good shape for scholarships at the bottom T14. I would shoot as high as you can. If you got a 168 with little studying, you can probably kill it with solid studying.

Thanks for your service and good luck!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm

Cornell should be no problem with your current stats. Increase the LSAT and Cornell will become your safety and you should have no problem with the T10.

I can't speak for the other T14, but Cornell is veteran friendly, even though there are not that many of us here (2 1Ls, 1 2L, and a couple 3Ls). Last Veterans Day, the vets were given a bar tab to hang out and tell old stories. Also, the school does full Yellow Ribbon so if you are eligible for Chapter 33 benefits, you should be able to get all expenses covered from that alone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:16 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:you're clearly a non-traditional applicant so it's hard to say.

military experience is, according to TLS, a pretty solid soft. but then again also a soft. but if you were to say that your age is held against you, i would say that your military ex washes that away

i suggest finding others who are older w/ military ex and see what they have to say. also peruse lawschoolnumbers.com for similar situations.

a 168 starting is solid. i say just do the best you can--if you can break 172, you're pretty definite in getting T14
I think with your softs you will crack the lower T14 with what you have now (certainly Cornell, maybe Michigan, UVA if you ED) but if you break 170 you will get multiple T14. But do the best you can above 172 you will probably get CCN and $ at lower T14

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 pm

CyLaw wrote:Cornell should be no problem with your current stats. Increase the LSAT and Cornell will become your safety and you should have no problem with the T10.

I can't speak for the other T14, but Cornell is veteran friendly, even though there are not that many of us here (2 1Ls, 1 2L, and a couple 3Ls). Last Veterans Day, the vets were given a bar tab to hang out and tell old stories. Also, the school does full Yellow Ribbon so if you are eligible for Chapter 33 benefits, you should be able to get all expenses covered from that alone.
Good to know. Definitely eligible for Yellow Ribbon and Chapt 33 as I am rated 100% disabled, permanent, service-connected. Wherever I am lucky enough to go, it will be great to come out of law school debt-free. I am a California resident, so if I can get into Boalt, free ride with Chapt 33 alone.

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:24 pm

With a 168 and your current profile I believe you will already have a very strong shot of getting into more than one T14.

CP2323

New

Post by CP2323 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:32 pm

What branch did you serve in? I am prior Navy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
tourdeforcex wrote:you're clearly a non-traditional applicant so it's hard to say.

I think with your softs you will crack the lower T14 with what you have now (certainly Cornell, maybe Michigan, UVA if you ED) but if you break 170 you will get multiple T14. But do the best you can above 172 you will probably get CCN and $ at lower T14
I think the 168 has expired by now? Since they are only valid for 5 years. But yeah, I'd bet you'd get Boalt with a 167/168, if that's your top choice. Hell, I bet you'd have a pretty decent shot at Stanford with a 168.

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm

CP2323 wrote:What branch did you serve in? I am prior Navy.
Army

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Yes, the 168 has expired. Must retake.

Verisimi

New

Post by Verisimi » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:41 pm

With a 3.87/168 Boalt is very possible with good softs, but yeah, the old LSAT score should be invalid by now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Thank you for your service and a 170+ will open a lot of doors in the T14. Having already scored a 168 under outside pressure, I think you have a very good shot at breaking 170 with extensive prep.

Fwiw, I had a 172 and a GPA a little under yours. I got into Berk despite not having a distinguished history like yours

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:24 pm

maybe I missed this somewhere, but has OP said or anyone asked about URM status?

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 pm

There are quite a few veterans here at Boalt (5+ that I personally know). In fact, I think that there is someone your age who had just gotten out as a military pilot who is here now.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:39 pm

No school gives a shit about URM's with respect to disabilities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Journeybound wrote:There are quite a few veterans here at Boalt (5+ that I personally know). In fact, I think that there is someone your age who had just gotten out as a military pilot who is here now.
Journeybound--not sure who you are, but I think you are talking about me here. :) and thank you for thinking I'm only OP's age ;)

OP you are in great shape assuming repeat performance or greater on the LSAT. FWIW, I was older than you when I arrived (with lesser numbers than yours to boot).Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about Boalt, vets, nontrads, etc. (In case you couldn't tell by my TLS name, I was a helo guy-- Navy.)

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:08 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:maybe I missed this somewhere, but has OP said or anyone asked about URM status?
I'm not

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:57 am

People with similar stats and softs have been accepted to Stanford, PM me for info. Don't set your sights too low. Your LSAT is likely invalid by now (I think they time out after 5 years?) but if you can repeat or raise it I predict a good cycle :)

boat343

New

Post by boat343 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:44 am

Apply to Harvard, Yale, wherever you want to go. If they don't accept you, it would be their loss that they don't want a leader on their campus. I really wouldn't get too caught up with the LSAT (which yours is actually pretty phenomenal). LSAT scores are for career students who really haven't proved they can work yet, and so they need some sort of filter for the 8,000 applications or so, all with a 3.8 GPA in poly sci. Your GPA is solid; you're a damn war hero; you have strong family values. You clearly belong wherever you want to be.

I am an OIF guy as well--was a medic with the Marines. I had a great GPA; but, to say I blew the LSAT would be an understatement. I got into a decent tier one school--to my complete and utter surprise. You are above 90th percentile. I seriously wouldn't bother taking that thing again. Whip on a strong personal statement. Get some serious letter of recs. You're golden.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:46 am

boat343 wrote:Apply to Harvard, Yale, wherever you want to go. If they don't accept you, it would be their loss that they don't want a leader on their campus. I really wouldn't get too caught up with the LSAT (which yours is actually pretty phenomenal). LSAT scores are for career students who really haven't proved they can work yet, and so they need some sort of filter for the 8,000 applications or so, all with a 3.8 GPA in poly sci. Your GPA is solid; you're a damn war hero; you have strong family values. You clearly belong wherever you want to be.

I am an OIF guy as well--was a medic with the Marines. I had a great GPA; but, to say I blew the LSAT would be an understatement. I got into a decent tier one school--to my complete and utter surprise. You are above 90th percentile. I seriously wouldn't bother taking that thing again. Whip on a strong personal statement. Get some serious letter of recs. You're golden.
Her score is expired, she has to retake.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 am

akili wrote:Honestly, with a 168 and that GPA + softs you could probably crack the T14 (Cornell, maybe Mich), but a 170 would put you in really good shape for scholarships at the bottom T14. I would shoot as high as you can. If you got a 168 with little studying, you can probably kill it with solid studying.

Thanks for your service and good luck!
I think this is pessimistic. I got solid schollys all through the T14 and accepted to T6 w/ a 169 and lower GPA and worse softs.

boat343

New

Post by boat343 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 am

Oh, I didn't see that it had expired. Well, then retake that bad boy and nail it!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:05 am

Cavgirl wrote: Took LSAT in 2005 and got a 168 but can honestly say, I didn't study for it as I was in the process of my discharge and having severe medical issues at the time. Not an excuse, just the truth.
why did you have say that

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”