UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!

Will I get in?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 9

rpheifer

New

UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Post by rpheifer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Working full time I did my undergrad work at Kaplan online with the intention of going to law school in a part time program after graduation. I had a GPA of 3.93 and a LSAT of 163. Do schools like UW Madison discount an online degree and if so do I stand a chance of getting into UW Madison’s part time program?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: UW Madison with Kaplan BS Degree in Legal Studies

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Interesting. Wasn't aware that Kaplan offered on-line college degrees. You probably need to call the admissions office at Wisconsin for an answer.

kayless

New

Post by kayless » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 am

If you are referring to Kaplan-Concord, there is something you need to be extremely careful of. Last time I checked on this, only the California Bar acknowledges JDs from Online or correspondence schools. Check with the bar of your state of residence or where you wish to practice before you act. You could lose a LOT of money.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 am

kayless wrote:If you are referring to Kaplan-Concord, there is something you need to be extremely careful of. Last time I checked on this, only the California Bar acknowledges JDs from Online or correspondence schools. Check with the bar of your state of residence or where you wish to practice before you act. You could lose a LOT of money.
If I'm reading this correctly, the question isn't about an online JD, but about whether an online BS will prevent him from getting a JD.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:10 pm

I think you're fine dude. Kaplan is regionally accredited. I don't think Law Schools are going to be in love with the idea, but if you have the requisite LSAT score and your GPA looks good, then I think they'll judge you similarly to everyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpheifer

New

Post by rpheifer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks guys. You are correct on the Concord finding. I looked into them way back, but when they were not ABA accredited I ran the other way. The other posters are correct in that my undergrad was online and I am looking to transition that into a JD from UW Madison. I was accepted into Marquette, but hope to hear back from UW Madison before my deposit is due on April 15th.

Thanks again. Here is to hoping my 163/ 3.94 is enough to get me in. Their tuition is just too hard to pass up.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:27 pm

I wouldn't let you in, but you have the numbers to get in. Hopefully they won't hold it against you.

Andrzej

New

Post by Andrzej » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:30 pm

if you get juris doctor online from another country in U.S.A you can practice in any country in the world. Good Luck!

rpheifer

New

Post by rpheifer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Fox, I hope they don't hold your opinion against me either... :lol: Is it just you- and many other “traditionalists”, or do you think many schools discredit distant learning even though they are accredited by the same organization as a brick and mortar school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:55 pm

rpheifer wrote:Fox, I hope they don't hold your opinion against me either... :lol: Is it just you- and many other “traditionalists”, or do you think many schools discredit distant learning even though they are accredited by the same organization as a brick and mortar school.
Other people have had online schools, including some that weren't even regionally accredited, and their cycles go pretty normal. I think every admissions dean will view it differently. Some schools will want your good GPA, and don't care where it is from. However, it may hurt you because you are a reverse splitter. That 3.93 is from a shitty school, so some may view it as less reliable.

These programs aren't even cheaper than state school.

I think you'll get into any school where your LSAT is above median. I dunno about other schools. I assume some will care, others won't. Good luck. Wisco wouldn't have taken me either!

Good luck, I hope you get in.

rpheifer

New

Post by rpheifer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, they are right about where I have been as of late. Now the wait.....

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 pm

rpheifer wrote:Thanks for your thoughts, they are right about where I have been as of late. Now the wait.....
I think being a nontrad with a family will help a lot. It makes it harder to attend a real school. Where in wisconsin are you from? My family has a cabin in Hayward.

NoJob

Bronze

Post by NoJob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:37 pm

rpheifer wrote:Working full time I did my undergrad work at Kaplan online with the intention of going to law school in a part time program after graduation. I had a GPA of 3.93 and a LSAT of 163. Do schools like UW Madison discount an online degree and if so do I stand a chance of getting into UW Madison’s part time program?
Don't go to UW. The Wisconsin kids are doing just as bad as the Marquette grads.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”