Should I retake my LSAT considering my stats? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
confusedprelaw

New

Should I retake my LSAT considering my stats?

Post by confusedprelaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 am

So I just got my LSAT score from the February '11 LSAT, and it certainly is mediocre based on TLS standards. I received a 166 and I have a 3.83 GPA.

I have been using lawschoolpredictor.com as a guide, but I'm not quite sure how accurate it is. Therefore, I was hoping to get some human insight on some of the schools I was planning on applying for:

- Stanford
- UC Berkeley
- UT Austin
- UCLA
- USC
- UC Davis
- Colorado
- University of Washington
- University of Arizona

I know I could have put in significantly more effort and perhaps raised my score, but nevertheless, the 166 is fairly indicative of my average on the practice tests. No doubt, Stanford and Berkeley are pipe dreams, and I'm really not expecting to get in, simply because I really don't have the academic credentials to back it up. But do I have a fairly good chance at the other aforementioned schools?

Also admittedly, I'm not too familiar with the law school process. Since I've been a pre-med student until late, I know many medical school admissions committees find it pretty damning to have a C in any class. Does the same hold true for law school adcoms?

Finally, would it be an added benefit or detriment that my GPA comes from a relatively tougher major than most law school applicants? Do admissions committees evaluate where the GPA comes from, or do they simply look at the numbers?

ebo

Bronze

Re: Should I retake my LSAT considering my stats?

Post by ebo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:54 pm

This should give you an idea: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

But yes, if you scored a few points higher in June or Oct., you could either have a shot at even better schools or more $$$ at schools that you're competitive at now. Disclaimer: This advice is coming from someone who was thrilled to get a 166 and would have killed for a 3.83 GPA

ebo

Bronze

Post by ebo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:57 pm

confusedprelaw wrote:Also admittedly, I'm not too familiar with the law school process. Since I've been a pre-med student until late, I know many medical school admissions committees find it pretty damning to have a C in any class. Does the same hold true for law school adcoms?
From what I've gathered here, all they care about is your LSAC calculated GPA. An upward trend might give you a very slight boost, but all they really care about is the number.
confusedprelaw wrote:Finally, would it be an added benefit or detriment that my GPA comes from a relatively tougher major than most law school applicants? Do admissions committees evaluate where the GPA comes from, or do they simply look at the numbers?
What major? I think engineering is the only major that might cause an adcomm to take a second look. And again, the GPA is the main factor being considered here, not the major. If I could do it over again, I would've never done a double major and simply majored in history or something.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:16 pm

confusedprelaw wrote:So I just got my LSAT score from the February '11 LSAT, and it certainly is mediocre based on TLS standards. I received a 166 and I have a 3.83 GPA.

I have been using lawschoolpredictor.com as a guide, but I'm not quite sure how accurate it is. Therefore, I was hoping to get some human insight on some of the schools I was planning on applying for:

I know I could have put in significantly more effort and perhaps raised my score, but nevertheless, the 166 is fairly indicative of my average on the practice tests. No doubt, Stanford and Berkeley are pipe dreams, and I'm really not expecting to get in, simply because I really don't have the academic credentials to back it up. But do I have a fairly good chance at the other aforementioned schools?

Also admittedly, I'm not too familiar with the law school process. Since I've been a pre-med student until late, I know many medical school admissions committees find it pretty damning to have a C in any class. Does the same hold true for law school adcoms?

Finally, would it be an added benefit or detriment that my GPA comes from a relatively tougher major than most law school applicants? Do admissions committees evaluate where the GPA comes from, or do they simply look at the numbers?
Retake. 100% you don't have anything to lose.
Bump it to a 170 and you'll get a good shot at fulls for a few on your list. Coming straight from UG your chances at Stanford are slim unless you're a 173+ imo. Your major doesn't matter unless you're a hard science engineering, biochemistry, astrophysics, something of that nature. It's mostly a numbers game, and they don't care where it comes from.

- Stanford - Reject
- UC Berkeley - Waitlist
- UT Austin - Waitlist if OOS
- UCLA - In
- USC - In
- UC Davis - In $$
- Colorado - In $
- University of Washington - In $
- University of Arizona - In $$$$

confusedprelaw

New

Post by confusedprelaw » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Is there no ramification for retaking the LSAT and receiving a lower score? Also, I'm going to be graduating early and should have a year of work experience prior to applying -- is this viewed as a positive? Do law schools consider age as a factor when admitting applicants, since I'll be significantly younger than most applicants? And, presumably, since I'm pursuing a double major in two hard sciences, would that make my GPA look better?

I apologize for asking such silly questions -- as my name suggests, I genuinely don't know anythin' about law school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”