My chances of getting into UCBoulder or UDenver so late? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ktc88

New

My chances of getting into UCBoulder or UDenver so late?

Post by ktc88 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:30 pm

160 / 3.48

The Good: Pretty strong resume, lots of work experience, including internship at law firm. Year abroad in Spain distinguishes me from other applicants. Strong recommendation from a distinguished professor.

The Bad: disciplinary trouble sophomore year of undergraduate

I was very confident about getting into UDenver with my stats until I read they prioritize applications coming in by March 1 and fill up most of their seats by the end of March. If they accept students on a rolling basis, does this mean if they get my app on March 2 vs March 1 that might make or break it?

The thing is I work a full time job and only really decided I wanted to go to law school in December. It took me awhile to get everything together and my manager at work only finally wrote my rec. I'm overnighting it to LSAC but am worried they won't process it in time to get my app in March 1.

UCBoulder has always been a toss up for my stats I figure. I don't want to leave CO so I'm only applying to these schools.

Any stories / stats of people getting in this late? I'm almost considering applying next year early in september but would my professor's rec. not be good anymore?

rebexness

Gold

Re: My chances of getting into UCBoulder or UDenver so late?

Post by rebexness » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colorando

New

Post by colorando » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:51 am

One thing to consider.... CU Boulder's app is due in less than a week and you are at/below their 25th. If I were you I would retake the LSAT and apply to CU ED. As a resident CU will be much cheaper and the school has alot more pull across the board in CO, as far as I know. Also living in Boulder vs living in Denver is no comparison.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:49 pm

colorando wrote:One thing to consider.... CU Boulder's app is due in less than a week and you are at/below their 25th. If I were you I would retake the LSAT and apply to CU ED. As a resident CU will be much cheaper and the school has alot more pull across the board in CO, as far as I know. Also living in Boulder vs living in Denver is no comparison.
I would rather live in Denver than Boulder-- it really depends on the person.

Also OP said numbers were a toss-up for CU. This is not true, numbers are a deny. If you are under both medians and you are not a URM you have almost no shot at T1 schools. Basically the same for T2 as well.

You have great shot at DU but its very unlikely you would get $ this late.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:54 pm

Actually you are so close to DU's GPA median that you might be above it this year (who knows how their cycle might work out). I would ask for a fee waiver and apply to DU immediately. If they think you will end up at or above both medians you may get 10k or so. Worth an application. Send them an email asking for a fee waiver. Put your stats and LSAC #. GL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am

colorando wrote:One thing to consider.... CU Boulder's app is due in less than a week and you are at/below their 25th. If I were you I would retake the LSAT and apply to CU ED. As a resident CU will be much cheaper and the school has alot more pull across the board in CO, as far as I know. Also living in Boulder vs living in Denver is no comparison.
I'm not sure that's true about pull, but I guess we'll have to disagree. One more thing, living in Boulder is certainly not for everyone. If cost of living is factored in, it may well be more expensive.

ktc88

New

Post by ktc88 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:29 pm

Got my application in to UDenver last week.

Still waiting on my second LOR to be processed though and they've had it since THU =/. UDenver told me they get their info from LSAC on Tuesdays so I guess if they're not processed by tomorrow they won't get them until March 8....no bueno.

Meh, I'm ready to go now but I guess I can always just apply again in September and get some $$, maybe it's for the better...

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

ktc88 wrote:160 / 3.48
I am 159/3.7 and was rejected by DU. I know it wasn't anything to do with my personal statement or LORs, as I was accepted to much more highly ranked schools. Worst-case-scenario for you, though, is that you apply and don't get in. So, why not go ahead an apply?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Seems like a surge of interest in the Denver/Boulder area. It would be interesting to know if Colorado & Denver saw a decrease or increase in applications in this down cycle.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ktc88

New

Post by ktc88 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:20 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
I am 159/3.7 and was rejected by DU. I know it wasn't anything to do with my personal statement or LORs, as I was accepted to much more highly ranked schools. Worst-case-scenario for you, though, is that you apply and don't get in. So, why not go ahead an apply?
Wow, and then there are people with those stats getting $20k.

When did you apply?

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:26 pm

ktc88 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Wow, and then there are people with those stats getting $20k.

When did you apply?
10 November 2011, on the USMC birthday.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:55 am

CU - Reject
Denver - In with no money.

ktc88

New

Post by ktc88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 pm

Wow, looks like getting my app in earlier than my LORs screwed me.

My second LOR was just processed today, but I called LSAC and they said they won't update DU with it until the 7th.

If I had just waited to send in my app today, everything would have been in by march 1.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 pm

You're at 25th percentile for Boulder- both LSAT and GPA. Couple that with applying late and you will most likely be dinged.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”