can you ED with october LSAT? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
learntolift

Bronze

can you ED with october LSAT?

Post by learntolift » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:44 pm

If I take the October LSAT next year, do I still have time to ED?

gin

Bronze

Re: can you ED with october LSAT?

Post by gin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:02 pm

learntolift wrote:If I take the October LSAT next year, do I still have time to ED?
It depend on the school but I would imagine you would be able at most if not all since the results come out at the begining of Nov and the ED deadline is (from what I've gathered from the schools I applied to) mid Nov to early Dec

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm

you can only ED to one school, correct?

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm

learntolift wrote:you can only ED to one school, correct?
Yeah because if you get accepted you have to attend that school

socraticmethodman

Bronze

Post by socraticmethodman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:06 pm

Yes, but you can also ED to another school if you don't get into your first ED. For example, if you ED to Michigan, and don't get in, you can ED to UVA since they don't have an ED deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Curry

Post by Curry » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:07 pm

socraticmethodman wrote:Yes, but you can also ED to another school if you don't get into your first ED. For example, if you ED to Michigan, and don't get in, you can ED to UVA since they don't have an ED deadline.
This. And you have time to ED to almost every school with your october score. It becomes harder with the december test.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Most schools adjust their ED deadline to work with the October LSAT but you should be ready to apply the day you get your score.

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:09 pm

ok awesome, and with most schools, your odds at getting in are higher if you ED?

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:14 pm

learntolift wrote:ok awesome, and with most schools, your odds at getting in are higher if you ED?
Yes, this is almost always the case. But the significance of the ED boost varies from school to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:20 pm

learntolift wrote:ok awesome, and with most schools, your odds at getting in are higher if you ED?
You still typically need to be above one median but it is easier. Also, if you do you research beforehand and know where you really want to go, I think ED can be valuable for you top choice target if you are not in a position to get $.

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:22 pm

yeah USC is my top choice and im taking the october LSAT again so i have a ton of timy to study and boost my lsat up to a 168+, and then i will ED there

Curry

Post by Curry » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:22 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
You still typically need to be above one median but it is easier. Also, if you do you research beforehand and know where you really want to go, I think ED can be valuable for you top choice target if you are not in a position to get $.
The range that it helps varies from school to school. An ED to UVA its a HUGE boost. An ED to CLS isn't nearly as big.

Also, USC does not have an ED program.

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:25 pm

damn thats weak. tell me more about why ED is such a boost at UVA? if you go to UVA law, where can you expect to be placed in your first job?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:30 pm

learntolift wrote:yeah USC is my top choice and im taking the october LSAT again so i have a ton of timy to study and boost my lsat up to a 168+, and then i will ED there
If you got your LSAT to a 168 (and if USC had a ED program) I think an ED to USC would be a mistake depending on your GPA. You could get money with a 168 at USC or UCLA.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:41 pm

learntolift wrote:damn thats weak. tell me more about why ED is such a boost at UVA? if you go to UVA law, where can you expect to be placed in your first job?
UVA uses ED a lot in its admissions program and fill a large part of the class using ED. Basically, they get enough ED applications that they only need to use the ED roll to fill a large part of their class and still keep their numbers high (also boosting their yield). It all depends how much weight schools put on people really wanting to attend.

UVA is one of the top schools in the country and places well in DC and NYC and also opens up to the south.

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:49 pm

so since so many people apply ED to uva, why is it still easier to get in with ed then? cause ed will be so competitive as well they can just choose the highest numbers which may be just as good as non ed applicants

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:53 pm

learntolift wrote:so since so many people apply ED to uva, why is it still easier to get in with ed then? cause ed will be so competitive as well they can just choose the highest numbers which may be just as good as non ed applicants
Because it is nearly impossible to get in RD and since they can manage their enrollment like no other school they can offer admission to ED applicants that have less than stellar numbers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:15 am

why dont they have an ED deadline? i mean if ur applying in january it isnt really "e" lol

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am

Just saw this thread - Duke also has an ED Round II that I believe is in January

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:33 am

socraticmethodman wrote:Yes, but you can also ED to another school if you don't get into your first ED. For example, if you ED to Michigan, and don't get in, you can ED to UVA since they don't have an ED deadline.
Check the specific school's contract very carefully though, I want to say that Northwestern only lets you ED to them, regardless if they don't accept you. Someone might want to double check me on this though.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:38 am

AreJay711 wrote:
learntolift wrote:so since so many people apply ED to uva, why is it still easier to get in with ed then? cause ed will be so competitive as well they can just choose the highest numbers which may be just as good as non ed applicants
Because it is nearly impossible to get in RD and since they can manage their enrollment like no other school they can offer admission to ED applicants that have less than stellar numbers.
yep, really hard to get RD since so many people ED and still competitive to get ED, just not as much. plus many people who get accepted RD get in with money. UVA also almost never utilizes its waitlist because of ED, so instead of people with lower #s getting in off the waitlist like they do at other schools, they get in ED but then no one gets in off the waitlist. also, there is that pesky 40% residents thing, and a lot of residents ED with a wide range of numbers to take advantage of the in-state tuition. it's a weird school.

make sense?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

learntolift

Bronze

Post by learntolift » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:33 am

nope doesnt make sense lol. but its good to know my chances of getting in go up with ed, i need it

Deep Trench

New

Post by Deep Trench » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:22 am

UVA wants to maintain GPA median of 3.8X and LSAT median of 170. One way to do it is to fill half the seats with applicants who are over both medians. This is not easy to do because there are only so many candidates who are over both medians and especially because UVA has to fill 40% of the seats with in-state students. Even if they were able to do that, they will end up spending lots of scholly money and take hits in their yield. So, they need to admit many students who are above only one of the two medians (i.e. splitters). However, the number of matriculating splitters need to be controlled. For instance, if you have too many students with high LSAT and low GPA, you start hurting the GPA median. The easiest way to control this is through ED. When you admit ED students, you know that they will attend for sure, leaving out the guess work of how many of the accepted students will take the offers. Of course, ED also benefits UVA by boosting its yield. It is true that most other schools need splitters to some degree, but UVA is unique in that they have such high median targets coupled with strict in-state percentage requirement.

nshapkar

Gold

Post by nshapkar » Mon May 02, 2011 5:29 pm

I know northwestern's ED only lets you ED to them (you can't E.D. anywhere else even if NW denies you), but how will they know if you do ED somewhere else after their denial? And what the hell can they do about it?

legaleagle9

New

Post by legaleagle9 » Mon May 02, 2011 6:49 pm

learntolift wrote:yeah USC is my top choice and im taking the october LSAT again so i have a ton of timy to study and boost my lsat up to a 168+, and then i will ED there
guys, if im not mistaken, I dont think USC has ED. Because on lawschoolpredictor.com doesn't provide USC as an option

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”