4.0/173 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
90LawSchool

New

4.0/173

Post by 90LawSchool » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:53 pm

This is my first post on Top Law Schools - I just found this website. I just started my Senior year and have a 4.0 GPA (I will be applying for law school for admission in the Fall 2012 semester). I took the LSAT in October and got a 173. My question is how good of a chance do I have of getting into the following law schools:

University of Texas
Duke
Georgetown
University of Virgina
William and Mary
Baylor

And if I do have a chance to get admitted, do I have a chance for decent scholarships? I don't know anyone who has been through the application process before so I really was wondering what I need to focus on to (if possible) get some large scholarship offers. I have a few professors who have agreed to do letters of recommendation but I'm not really sure beyond that what I can do to tweak my resume and have no idea on where to start on a personal statement.

Anyways, the reason I am asking all this is that if I don't really have a chance of getting scholarships, I would probably just skip getting a advising service for law school admission. Would anyone recommend with my scores to get an advising service to help during the application process?

Thank you in advance for your help!

NZA

Silver

Re: 4.0/173

Post by NZA » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes.

Shoot higher, man. :)

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:56 pm

If you get good letters and a decent personal statement you will get generous scholarships to all of those schools. You also have a very good shot at scholarships from CCN and admission to HYS (though these are never guaranteed).

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:57 pm

90LawSchool wrote:This is my first post on Top Law Schools - I just found this website. I just started my Senior year and have a 4.0 GPA (I will be applying for law school for admission in the Fall 2012 semester). I took the LSAT in October and got a 173. My question is how good of a chance do I have of getting into the following law schools:

University of Texas
Duke
Georgetown
University of Virgina
William and Mary
Baylor

And if I do have a chance to get admitted, do I have a chance for decent scholarships? I don't know anyone who has been through the application process before so I really was wondering what I need to focus on to (if possible) get some large scholarship offers. I have a few professors who have agreed to do letters of recommendation but I'm not really sure beyond that what I can do to tweak my resume and have no idea on where to start on a personal statement.

Anyways, the reason I am asking all this is that if I don't really have a chance of getting scholarships, I would probably just skip getting a advising service for law school admission. Would anyone recommend with my scores to get an advising service to help during the application process?

apply HLS for win

90LawSchool

New

Post by 90LawSchool » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks for your all's quick responses! Would you suggest for me to get an advising service for the application process? Like I had said, I should get good LORs but I really truly have no idea on what to do for a personal statement and I also am not sure if my resume would be up to what law schools would expect.

Thanks again!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:13 pm

I like this site: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Read the accuracy page to get an idea about what the output means: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=173

Finally, the data is from the following so perusing it yourself might give you a fuller picture as you can take into account non-numeric qualifications as well: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/ -- Go to search and users for applicants with similar numbers and search and applications for applicants at a particular school. It works best if you put a bit of a range. Hope this helps you pick your targets.

P.S. You can get some idea of resumes from LSN. Naturally, a combat vet with 2 purple hearts and a silver star doesn't need quite the same numbers.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Shoot higher! With those stats you are in at Columbia, NYU and Chicago. Chances at Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are decent. I say CCN higher or bust. You'll get $$ at the bottom T14

NZA

Silver

Post by NZA » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:25 pm

90LawSchool wrote:Thanks for your all's quick responses! Would you suggest for me to get an advising service for the application process? Like I had said, I should get good LORs but I really truly have no idea on what to do for a personal statement and I also am not sure if my resume would be up to what law schools would expect.

Thanks again!
I'd recommend you just read what's here on TLS and save yourself some skrillah. Read over some sample PSs here, too.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 pm

NZA wrote:
90LawSchool wrote:Thanks for your all's quick responses! Would you suggest for me to get an advising service for the application process? Like I had said, I should get good LORs but I really truly have no idea on what to do for a personal statement and I also am not sure if my resume would be up to what law schools would expect.

Thanks again!
I'd recommend you just read what's here on TLS and save yourself some skrillah. Read over some sample PSs here, too.
+1

for things like PS and stuff, i mean...you dont have to pay for a service. you seem itching to hire one though...so iunno if your pockets are just bustling with cash, why not? TLS and some self-prompted thinking is probably all you need imo. dont you have like 9 months before you have to apply? lol plenty of time

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 pm

Congratulations on your awesome GPA and LSAT. You have a great chance at admission at all of the schools that you posted and some that are even higher up.

I don't think you need an admissions consultant at all. TLS has pretty much all of the information an admissions consultant could give you and it's completely free. Read around, ask as many questions as you need to ask and you will be just fine! Good luck.

parsi

Bronze

Post by parsi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:57 am

APPLY EARLY.

I'm talking about during September.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:01 am

You can go ahead and scratch Baylor off your list.

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:01 am

Shoot much, much higher.

I would say that with those #s, w/o a persuasive individualized Why X essay for each school there's a good chance you'll get YP-ed (yield protected, which means that the school will waitlist you because they don't think you'll actually attend since your numbers are too high) from at least half of the schools on your list. Apply to CCN and H - I'd bet that you're in at all 4.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:02 am

I cannot believe that this flame has not yet been spotted.

Abysmal English skills with a 4.0 173?

Asking if he can get into Baylor?

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 am

Veyron wrote:I cannot believe that this flame has not yet been spotted.

Abysmal English skills with a 4.0 173?
Asking if he can get into Baylor?

Possible, but you would be suprised. My initial thought was flame though.

If this isn't a flame, apply to the T6, blanket the T14 if finances are tight and you need a scholarship to go to school. But with those numbers, the future looks bright for you my son.

90LawSchool

New

Post by 90LawSchool » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks a lot for your help! I have been looking around TLS and there is so much good information here!

I have one more question for now :). I saw there is a thread for help with personal statements, but is there a similar thread with advice on resumes for the application process?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:48 pm

Enjoy Harvard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:00 pm

Last edited by soj on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:03 pm

soj wrote:I'll just reply to this thread since my numbers are similar.

How do you guys like 3.97/171 for HYS? I know the LSAT is a little low for HYS, but I don't know if it's worth retaking, which would be a big risk and effort on my part. I'll be a recent graduate of a top 20 school when I apply. Good ECs and recs, but everyone has those.
You should be good at CCN. HYS are just unpredictable, but it's worth the app fee.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:03 pm

90LawSchool wrote:Thanks a lot for your help! I have been looking around TLS and there is so much good information here!

I have one more question for now :). I saw there is a thread for help with personal statements, but is there a similar thread with advice on resumes for the application process?
No - there are some examples on the Harvard website you can use. You're still in UG so they're not going to care about your resume anyhow.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:10 pm

soj wrote:I'll just reply to this thread since my numbers are similar.

How do you guys like 3.97/171 for HYS? I know the LSAT is a little low for HYS, but I don't know if it's worth retaking, which would be a big risk and effort on my part. I'll be a recent graduate of a top 20 school when I apply. Good ECs and recs, but everyone has those.
What was your average LSAT going in? The risk of a retake isn't very high (CCN and down don't really care about retakes) and your chances at getting HLS will increase a ton if you hit 173 or higher.

You might want to consider it as you can retake and still apply very early

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Last edited by soj on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Übermensch

New

Post by Übermensch » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:18 pm

90LawSchool wrote:This is my first post on Top Law Schools - I just found this website. I just started my Senior year and have a 4.0 GPA (I will be applying for law school for admission in the Fall 2012 semester). I took the LSAT in October and got a 173. My question is how good of a chance do I have of getting into the following law schools:

University of Texas
Duke
Georgetown
University of Virgina
William and Mary
Baylor

OP, the Class of 2013 median numbers for Yale are 3.91 and 173. Your LSAT score falls right at last year's median, and your GPA is over. In terms of numbers, every school's medians from last year are lower. You have a shot at every top school in terms of numbers. Aim for T-6. You're definitely in at one, if not more.

You will probably get a very substantial scholarship at Baylor, probably a full ride, but at the cost of limited opportunities.

I think the real question for you will be choosing between admission to HYS or scholarships at CCN and lower. Good luck!

sad_squirrel

New

Post by sad_squirrel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 pm

University of Texas
Duke
Georgetown
University of Virgina
William and Mary
Baylor

We're numbers twins. My LSN link is in my profile; you can see how I've fared so far this cycle in the T-14. I didn't apply to UT, W&M, or Baylor, but as long as you put together a compelling application, I'm sure you won't have trouble getting into them.

Best of luck!

90LawSchool

New

Post by 90LawSchool » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 pm

Thanks so much! your posts have been very encouraging and helpful for me as I'm re-thinking my application strategy.

As I was rethinking though, I had another question. UT is definitely my current top choice (just based on location) but I am very limited financially and don't want to take on much debt and it seems like it is a stretch for a full-ride there (or really any of the T14 schools). Is there a school that is more generous with full-ride scholarships that, if I was fortunate enough to get a full-ride there, I could at least negotiate with UT if I did not get a scholarship at UT.

I'm sorry for all my questions but as I think through my plans for attending law school based on your all's suggestions, more questions just keep coming to mind.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”