3.3, 147 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
xxxgodsmackxxx

New

3.3, 147

Post by xxxgodsmackxxx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:00 am

I had an unfortunate car failure on the way to the LSAT that screwed the first section for me, leading to that score after scoring consistently in the mid to high 150s on practice tests. That aside, I do not have the time to re-prepare for the February test, earliest I can do is June. I'd like to still put in applications for the hell of it, my Political Science Major GPA is a 3.6, 3.3 cumulative. I am hoping for a miracle and I really can't get hit with student loan payments at this point in my life I am looking to stay in Florida, and with this score, I really don't care if it is PT or FT. Any suggestions? I would like to apply to Stetson, Nova, Miami and St. Thomas. I understand the type of schools these are, but I am not looking to leave Florida to practice and I could also use these schools as a stepping stone to transfer if I felt the need. I am asking for help, not a belittling over my score. Thanks guys.

rebexness

Gold

Re: 3.3, 147

Post by rebexness » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 am

in before the storm

xxxgodsmackxxx

New

Post by xxxgodsmackxxx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 am

I go to a small private catholic school in Florida, I have excellent recommendation letters from my Political Science and English teachers that hold me in very high regard, and I feel as though I have written a powerful personal statement about overcoming adversity to achieve good grades (mainly wrote about 2 significant deaths in my family that occurred during my first semester of my freshmen year and a re-location to Florida from the Northeast during my senior year of high school) and a few reasons I feel as though I am a good candidate.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 am

Retake or don't go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:16 am

tagged for the :lol:'s

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:17 am

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:21 am

Don't go to school expecting to transfer, because there's a 85%-90% chance you wont be able to.

xxxgodsmackxxx

New

Post by xxxgodsmackxxx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22 am

I've read stories about people who have had a crappy LSAT and had their LORs and grades pull them up. Obviously these are only tier 3 and 4 schools which I would assume would give me at least a slight shot, but I feel like I've come this far and not applying at all would be a waste. Money for app fees is not an issue. I also want to give it a shot for that hope, because I could be really screwed right now if I had to start paying back my loans and would probably take some bs MPA program to bridge the gap until the next cycle.

I also am very against transferring and that would only be an absolute last resort plan to even attempt it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22 am

xxxgodsmackxxx wrote:I go to a small private catholic school in Florida, I have excellent recommendation letters from my Political Science and English teachers that hold me in very high regard, and I feel as though I have written a powerful personal statement about overcoming adversity to achieve good grades (mainly wrote about 2 significant deaths in my family that occurred during my first semester of my freshmen year and a re-location to Florida from the Northeast during my senior year of high school) and a few reasons I feel as though I am a good candidate.
Please tell me that Ava Maria doesn't have an undergrad school too.

xxxgodsmackxxx

New

Post by xxxgodsmackxxx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:23 am

Oh God no, this is in the Tampa area

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 am

xxxgodsmackxxx wrote:I've read stories about people who have had a crappy LSAT and had their LORs and grades pull them up. Obviously these are only tier 3 and 4 schools which I would assume would give me at least a slight shot, but I feel like I've come this far and not applying at all would be a waste. Money for app fees is not an issue. I also want to give it a shot for that hope, because I could be really screwed right now if I had to start paying back my loans and would probably take some bs MPA program to bridge the gap until the next cycle.

I also am very against transferring and that would only be an absolute last resort plan to even attempt it.
The schools you can get into with your numbers will give you a great shot at unemployment. Retake or don't go.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 am

mpj_3050 wrote:
xxxgodsmackxxx wrote:I go to a small private catholic school in Florida, I have excellent recommendation letters from my Political Science and English teachers that hold me in very high regard, and I feel as though I have written a powerful personal statement about overcoming adversity to achieve good grades (mainly wrote about 2 significant deaths in my family that occurred during my first semester of my freshmen year and a re-location to Florida from the Northeast during my senior year of high school) and a few reasons I feel as though I am a good candidate.
Please tell me that Ava Maria doesn't have an undergrad school too.
apparently they do

http://www.avemaria.edu/

edit: holy shit they made their own town

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ave_Maria,_Florida
Last edited by dr123 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 am

xxxgodsmackxxx wrote:I've read stories about people who have had a crappy LSAT and had their LORs and grades pull them up. Obviously these are only tier 3 and 4 schools which I would assume would give me at least a slight shot, but I feel like I've come this far and not applying at all would be a waste. Money for app fees is not an issue. I also want to give it a shot for that hope, because I could be really screwed right now if I had to start paying back my loans and would probably take some bs MPA program to bridge the gap until the next cycle.

Worried about paying back loans? Easy fix, take 6 hours at a community college to defer the loans and retake LSAT.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:25 am

if you are going to law school beacuse you cant pay your student loan payments- i would re consider that idea. None of those schools are going to get you very far. wHEN you decided to go to a school, choose one that you will be happy graduating from at median. If you go to a school trying to transfer, odds are that you wont be able to. Transferring is very hard to do, and very unpredictable. Best bet would be to forget this cycle, focus on june and dominate it. if you really want to go to one of those schools, go to the cheapest one available. there was a guy on here last year who was deciding between nova or southeastern in florida. i dont think it turned out well for him. best of luck

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:26 am

xxxgodsmackxxx wrote:I had an unfortunate car failure on the way to the LSAT that screwed the first section for me, leading to that score after scoring consistently in the mid to high 150s on practice tests. That aside, I do not have the time to re-prepare for the February test, earliest I can do is June. I'd like to still put in applications for the hell of it, my Political Science Major GPA is a 3.6, 3.3 cumulative. I am hoping for a miracle and I really can't get hit with student loan payments at this point in my life I am looking to stay in Florida, and with this score, I really don't care if it is PT or FT. Any suggestions? I would like to apply to Stetson, Nova, Miami and St. Thomas. I understand the type of schools these are, but I am not looking to leave Florida to practice and I could also use these schools as a stepping stone to transfer if I felt the need. I am asking for help, not a belittling over my score. Thanks guys.
Retake. That's the best advice you're going to get. 147 is too low and even if you squeaked into any of the schools you listed above, it is not financially worth it since you would be paying sticker at all of them which would be $35K-$40K. And as for using these schools as a "stepping stone", don't forget that most of your classmates will be thinking the same thing as the all try to make the top of the class.

If (and this a big if) you must apply this cycle, I'd say apply to FIU only because the cost is dirt cheap and avoids the massive amount of debt you would incur at the other schools if you wern't able to transfer. In fact, FIU seems like the only logical choice if you choose not to retake and still apply.

xxxgodsmackxxx

New

Post by xxxgodsmackxxx » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 am

Its been a dream of mine to attend law school since I was in elementary school. I was only saying the loan repayment to give an idea of why I am applying now instead of waiting until the next cycle. I've been going back and forth about opinions from these schools, some from established lawyers in the area who are very comfortable, and other opinions that are similar to what I'm getting here. I put a lot of time and effort into the LSAT and am absolutely devastated at the results and stress it has caused me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:29 am

northwood wrote:if you are going to law school beacuse you cant pay your student loan payments- i would re consider that idea. None of those schools are going to get you very far. wHEN you decided to go to a school, choose one that you will be happy graduating from at median. If you go to a school trying to transfer, odds are that you wont be able to. Transferring is very hard to do, and very unpredictable. Best bet would be to forget this cycle, focus on june and dominate it. if you really want to go to one of those schools, go to the cheapest one available. there was a guy on here last year who was deciding between nova or southeastern in florida. i dont think it turned out well for him. best of luck
is this the source of the legendary nova vs. barry thread?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:30 am

get a job, make some loan payments. retake. apply.

That's what I'd say would be the prime way to do it

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:35 am

i think it was. I know it was Nova, but i wasnt sure if it was southeastern or barry? Coulda sworn it was, but i may be mistaken.

op: the lsat is stressful, but law school is even more stressfull. If you really want to go to law school, you need to do everything that you can to get into the best school possible. It takes time, but a lot of people have studied for this test for at least 4 months plus, some while holding down a full time job. If you really want to go to law school, your best option woul dbe to re take in june, ( get a study schedule from off of this site) and re apply in september. I know it sounds harsh, but really its a great bit of advice. I understand that you dont want to wait another year to go, but 12 months of waiting is not that long. There is a lot you can do to pass the time to make sure that your choice to go to law is what you really want to do.

luckyme

Bronze

Post by luckyme » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:38 am

northwood wrote:i think it was. I know it was Nova, but i wasnt sure if it was southeastern or barry? Coulda sworn it was, but i may be mistaken.

op: the lsat is stressful, but law school is even more stressfull. If you really want to go to law school, you need to do everything that you can to get into the best school possible. It takes time, but a lot of people have studied for this test for at least 4 months plus, some while holding down a full time job. If you really want to go to law school, your best option woul dbe to re take in june, ( get a study schedule from off of this site) and re apply in september. I know it sounds harsh, but really its a great bit of advice. I understand that you dont want to wait another year to go, but 12 months of waiting is not that long. There is a lot you can do to pass the time to make sure that your choice to go to law is what you really want to do.
nova is southeastern

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:39 am

thanks for the clarification

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:49 am

luckyme wrote:
northwood wrote:if you are going to law school beacuse you cant pay your student loan payments- i would re consider that idea. None of those schools are going to get you very far. wHEN you decided to go to a school, choose one that you will be happy graduating from at median. If you go to a school trying to transfer, odds are that you wont be able to. Transferring is very hard to do, and very unpredictable. Best bet would be to forget this cycle, focus on june and dominate it. if you really want to go to one of those schools, go to the cheapest one available. there was a guy on here last year who was deciding between nova or southeastern in florida. i dont think it turned out well for him. best of luck
is this the source of the legendary nova vs. barry thread?
Oh yes.

M&A621

New

Post by M&A621 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 am

rad law wrote:Retake or don't go.

+1

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:52 am

ok im going to say this again because i feel it hasnt been emphasized enough, if you're worried about repaying your loans get a job, now.

taking on more loans to avoid loans makes absolutely no sense

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”