Rejected from Fordham FT. Do I have a chance at PT? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
URMdan

Bronze

Rejected from Fordham FT. Do I have a chance at PT?

Post by URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 am

I was straight up dinged from Fordham's FT program and asked for reconsideration into their PT program. Conventional wisdom would have me think that since the school didn't even waitlist me, that i have no chance at all. But is this necessarily true?

nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Rejected from Fordham FT. Do I have a chance at PT?

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:56 am

URMdan wrote:I was straight up dinged from Fordham's FT program and asked for reconsideration into their PT program. Conventional wisdom would have me think that since the school didn't even waitlist me, that i have no chance at all. But is this necessarily true?
Impossible to say without knowing your numbers. I know of at least one person who managed to do this, last year - but I believe that person was, yes, WL'd for the FT program.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm

URMdan wrote:I was straight up dinged from Fordham's FT program and asked for reconsideration into their PT program. Conventional wisdom would have me think that since the school didn't even waitlist me, that i have no chance at all. But is this necessarily true?
what are your numbers?

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 pm

My numbers are low.. 153/2.95/AA/non-traditional applicant. I got into American with those numbers, which is why I still have hope for Fordham PT.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm

URMdan wrote:My numbers are low.. 153/2.95/AA/non-traditional applicant. I got into American with those numbers, which is why I still have hope for Fordham PT.
for sure try. but it's probably unlikely ( did the same thing w/ a 159/3.77 non-URM and was rejected from both both FT and then PT)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:45 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
URMdan wrote:My numbers are low.. 153/2.95/AA/non-traditional applicant. I got into American with those numbers, which is why I still have hope for Fordham PT.
did the same thing w/ a 159/3.77 non-URM and was rejected from both both FT and then PT

wow

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:04 pm

I really hate to be Debbie Downer but imho it's extremely unlikely that you'll get Fordham with those numbers. Last year (partly in response to USNWR pressures) they reduced the PT program by 50%, bringing class size down to 80. They are making a concerted effort to bring the PT numbers into full parity with the FT numbers, while trying to get that evening program back to its roots, targeting it at people who work during the day/have fairly substantial WE. That said, there are exceptions to every rule. Do you have WE or a really unique story? Those would certainly help.
Best of luck to you!

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
I really hate to be Debbie Downer but imho it's extremely unlikely that you'll get Fordham with those numbers. Last year (partly in response to USNWR pressures) they reduced the PT program by 50%, bringing class size down to 80. They are making a concerted effort to bring the PT numbers into full parity with the FT numbers, while trying to get that evening program back to its roots, targeting it at people who work during the day/have fairly substantial WE. That said, there are exceptions to every rule. Do you have WE or a really unique story? Those would certainly help.
Best of luck to you!

Yes of course. I ran a successful website full-time while I was in college to support a family.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:23 pm

URMdan wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Best of luck to you!

Yes of course. I ran a successful website full-time while I was in college to support a family.
that is a good addendum, but they probably see that, understand, then look at your LSAT score and are not sufficiently impressed. that would be much more persuasive if you had better proof as to your academic credentials. if you could improve your LSAT to just hit their median, you'd get in f/t. worth a retake IMHO. regardless, the f/t is looked upon better by employers and the yr spent getting in is the same as p/t anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:28 pm

justadude55 wrote:
URMdan wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
Best of luck to you!

that is a good addendum, but they probably see that, understand, then look at your LSAT score and are not sufficiently impressed. that would be much more persuasive if you had better proof as to your academic credentials. if you could improve your LSAT to just hit their median, you'd get in f/t. worth a retake IMHO. regardless, the f/t is looked upon better by employers and the yr spent getting in is the same as p/t anyway.

Took LSAT 3 times already

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:47 pm

URMdan wrote: Yes of course. I ran a successful website full-time while I was in college to support a family.
Oh, so you've already graduated and are working? That could help... I'm just looking for an angle for you, here. The sad reality is that at a certain point, it really really DOES come down to numbers.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
URMdan wrote: Yes of course. I ran a successful website full-time while I was in college to support a family.
Oh, so you've already graduated and are working? That could help... I'm just looking for an angle for you, here. The sad reality is that at a certain point, it really really DOES come down to numbers.
OP, when was your earliest LSAT? Even if all three scores were recent, if you are willing to retake again, you may be able to get the school to sign off on it, getting you permission for another retake. As much as that would be no fun at all, it shows your dedication and is probably your best chance. I still think you should try for sure, and I am hopeful you may at least get a frank response from Fordham. I am very proud that the school does this for applicants and I wish you the best of luck.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 pm

OperaSoprano wrote: OP, when was your earliest LSAT? Even if all three scores were recent, if you are willing to retake again, you may be able to get the school to sign off on it, getting you permission for another retake. As much as that would be no fun at all, it shows your dedication and is probably your best chance. I still think you should try for sure, and I am hopeful you may at least get a frank response from Fordham. I am very proud that the school does this for applicants and I wish you the best of luck.
^^^What she said. She's amazing. And right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:08 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: OP, when was your earliest LSAT? Even if all three scores were recent, if you are willing to retake again, you may be able to get the school to sign off on it, getting you permission for another retake. As much as that would be no fun at all, it shows your dedication and is probably your best chance. I still think you should try for sure, and I am hopeful you may at least get a frank response from Fordham. I am very proud that the school does this for applicants and I wish you the best of luck.
^^^What she said. She's amazing. And right.
My first test was in Feb 2010 and I canceled my Dec score. Are you saying that a school can override LSAC's guidelines??

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:10 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Yes I just recently graduated in October. I'm 23 years old and I have 6 years of WE. I did big things for other companies as well in terms of online sales. All of it is discussed in detail on my resume.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:11 pm

URMdan wrote:
My first test was in Feb 2010 and I canceled my Dec score. Are you saying that a school can override LSAC's guidelines??
A school can sign off on a fourth seating of the test, yes. But that's moot if I understand your post correctly: you took Feb '10 and June '10 but cancelled your Dec '10 score, right? So you should be allowed to retake, anyway.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:12 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
URMdan wrote:
A school can sign off on a fourth seating of the test, yes. But that's moot if I understand your post correctly: you took Feb '10 and June '10 but cancelled your Dec '10 score, right? So you should be allowed to retake, anyway.
Canceling counts as a test. That test should have been canceled by LSAC because of the disruption that occurred but that's moot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 pm

URMdan wrote: Canceling counts as a test. That test should have been canceled by LSAC because of the disruption that occurred but that's moot.
Well then I stand corrected. I was certain that canceling did not count as one of your three chances.
Maybe Opera will have other ideas!

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:11 pm

I was rejected from Fordham PT, but just a note (which may be helpful), Fordham's PT class reduced in size from 160 students to 80 (due to the US NEWS's inclusion of PT numbers for rankings purposes). So, there are much fewer seats. However, it doesn't hurt. I don't believe it costs anything extra, so why not?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”