How do you think my chances look? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KibblesAndVick

Silver

Re: How do you think my chances look?

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:16 am

The thing about the LSAT is that even if you're really really good at it you never know exactly how you're going to do. Even the best test takers tend to bounce around between 175 and 180. So even if you're the smartest kid the room and practice the LSAT like you're Amy Chua's daughter you can't ensure a good enough score to get into Harvard. 3.77/175 isn't going to cut it. 3.77/180 gives you a decent shot but it would be far from a sure thing.

You should start getting straight A's regardless but you should come to grips with the fact that you can't guarantee a high enough LSAT score.

SLU-Monster

New

Post by SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:
SLU-Monster wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I got a 32 ACT and a 176 LSAT.
And your GPA upon applying?
2.8 landed me northwestern.
2.8 cumulative? Did you have any addenda?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:20 am

SLU-Monster wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
SLU-Monster wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I got a 32 ACT and a 176 LSAT.
And your GPA upon applying?
2.8 landed me northwestern.
2.8 cumulative? Did you have any addenda?
I didn't really have any good excuses, and it was pretty much 2.8 the whole time. Like you, it was monumental laziness.

Though my degree was EE from a good school. It helped take the sting out of 2.8.

For you, start fucking working now. Take extra courses to cancel out the shit you did. Never take a class you can't get an A in. You should aim for 3.85.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:21 am

1. SAT ≠ ACT ≠ LSAT. So get over that right now. I fucking rocked the first two and only got a 162.
2. Getting a 4.0 in a semester is easier said than done. Getting them every semester is easier said than done. And you basically need to be getting them every semester from here on out.
3. For the top law schools, you need to rock your GPA (which takes a lot of effort) and rock the LSAT (which takes a lot of intellect and/or a lot of work). Also, you need to write an awesome personal statement, have awesome extra curricular activities, and don't kill anyone.

You want to know what your chances of getting into Harvard are. The real question is what are your chances of pulling up your GPA to 3.8 and acing the LSAT. Keep in mind the law of averages: the more numbers you have factored into your GPA, the harder it's going to be to move it.

But seriously, good luck. All I can say to you now is stay focused on what you want for the next three years. Stay focused with your grades, your LSAT, and your ECs--which can be a lot easier said than done.

SLU-Monster

New

Post by SLU-Monster » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:22 am

KibblesAndVick wrote:The thing about the LSAT is that even if you're really really good at it you never know exactly how you're going to do. Even the best test takers tend to bounce around between 175 and 180. So even if you're the smartest kid the room and practice the LSAT like you're Amy Chua's daughter you can't ensure a good enough score to get into Harvard. 3.77/175 isn't going to cut it. 3.77/180 gives you a decent shot but it would be far from a sure thing.

You should start getting straight A's regardless but you should come to grips with the fact that you can't guarantee a high enough LSAT score.
I appreciate what you mean, and I understand the chances, but I would rather expect excellence from myself than mediocracy. I know how daunting the task, and I know how the bouncing around game works, especially once you get past the 95th percentile. Once you get that high you see a fair amount of lucky guesses playing a critical role.

I know that I cannot guarantee a single score, but I plan to get at least a 175, and I will do that. When you go into the test confident in yourself, but never cocky, you tend to do far better. These tests are more about beating yourself rather than the test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:23 am

OP should just cure cancer then apply to Yale.

Kidding aside, just work on a getting the highest GPA you can.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:24 am

Saw your majors/minors from the other thread and I can tell you for experience that it won't mean crap when you're trying to get a job/ get into law school. Just get that gpa up kid...

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:25 am

This thread is making me me feel pretty good about getting a 175 on the LSAT.

Also, I am kind of a douchebag.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:27 am

SLU-Monster wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:The thing about the LSAT is that even if you're really really good at it you never know exactly how you're going to do. Even the best test takers tend to bounce around between 175 and 180. So even if you're the smartest kid the room and practice the LSAT like you're Amy Chua's daughter you can't ensure a good enough score to get into Harvard. 3.77/175 isn't going to cut it. 3.77/180 gives you a decent shot but it would be far from a sure thing.

I appreciate what you mean, and I understand the chances, but I would rather expect excellence from myself than mediocracy. I know how daunting the task, and I know how the bouncing around game works, especially once you get past the 95th percentile. Once you get that high you see a fair amount of lucky guesses playing a critical role.

I know that I cannot guarantee a single score, but I plan to get at least a 175, and I will do that. When you go into the test confident in yourself, but never cocky, you tend to do far better. These tests are more about beating yourself rather than the test.
You're wise beyond your years young grasshopper.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:28 am

SLU-Monster wrote:

Cool story bro. Try taking this mentality into your UG so a shit GPA doesn't put you in the auto-reject pile.

octneedy

New

Post by octneedy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:34 am

Wait, are you calculating possible gpa's based on your school's criteria or LSAC's? b/c if you get A+'s for the rest of your college career you could technically get higher then a 3.77. (just saying) Also, there's always summer school for that extra grade boost.

I srsly think you're just freaking out over that 3.1 gpa and that's why you're posting about Harvard. Anything is possible....but you gotta work dam hard for what you want.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 am

SLU-Monster wrote:Hello, I am a second semester freshman at Saint Louis University. I've recently decided that I want to go to law school, and I like to aim high, very high. I want to go to Harvard Law. I know how daunting the task is, I know the 11% acceptance rate of 2010-2011, and I very well understand that many people are admitted with far more outstanding academic records than mine. However, I feel that planning to get into Harvard, working to get into Harvard, and doing everything possible to be accepted, is nothing short of a good idea. If I don't get in, then I simply go to a lower ranked school; I am shooting for the top, though.

In high school my GPA was moderate. I have never been in the top of my class, I have never recieved an award due to outstanding academic merit. I am very intelligent, but I have also been very ignorant. I knew where I wanted to go for undergrad, so I worked hard enough to get in. I've gotten in, I have a wonderful merit scholarship, and I am happy with my choice.

Upon making the decision about Harvard, I realized that I am already years behind my competition.

I excel in areas relating to law, politics, history, language, logic, and reason. I scored a 1200 my freshman year of high school on a PSAT (I am aware that this is nothing to write home about) and I scored a 32 on the ACT with minimal studying. I can write, I am articulate, and I can out argue anyone. None of this matters, though, when combined with my GPA. In my first semester here at SLU, I have earned a mere 3.11 GPA. This is the fault of no one other than myself, and I wish to do everything in my power to combat the highest possible GPA I can now earn, a 3.7775. I would greatly appreciate the help of anyone willing who has knowledge of either the admissions process, or the statistical chances that I have.
Your chances are poor because you are an idiot. How can you excel in areas related to law IF YOU'VE NEVER TAKEN A CLASS ON IT? This is like saying that I excel at interpretive dance because I sometimes boogie to the radio in my car. Also, a 3.11 at SLU, REALLY?

I predict you won't crack Wash U, let alone Harvard.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:08 am

Veyron wrote:Your chances are poor because you are an idiot. How can you excel in areas related to law IF YOU'VE NEVER TAKEN A CLASS ON IT? This is like saying that I excel at interpretive dance because I sometimes boogie to the radio in my car. Also, a 3.11 at SLU, REALLY?

Way to be an asshole, buddy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:28 am

SLU-Monster wrote:

The word you're looking for is mediocrity, not mediocracy. The latter means something completely different from what you intended to say. Normally, I try to avoid pointing out grammar or spelling mistakes, out of fear of sounding like a snob, but if you're planning on making a 175+ or getting into HLS, you should be above these small mistakes.

Honestly? I think you're in it for the wrong reasons. No doubt many people desire a prestigious HLS degree, but your primary motivation for getting your act together should be to practice law, not to attend HLS. It sounds like your problem is that you don't apply yourself enough, if you got a 3.1 your first semester freshman year when you're sure you can make 4.0's from now on. Focus on the learning for now, worry about HLS later.

hjag

New

Post by hjag » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:30 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Veyron wrote:Your chances are poor because you are an idiot. How can you excel in areas related to law IF YOU'VE NEVER TAKEN A CLASS ON IT? This is like saying that I excel at interpretive dance because I sometimes boogie to the radio in my car. Also, a 3.11 at SLU, REALLY?

+1

...the hell was that? Was that even necessary?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:52 am

hjag wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:

+1

...the hell was that? Was that even necessary?
What? I said what you said, just in plain English. The only difference between us is that I questioned OPs intelligence instead of his motivation, for which I apologize.

Seriously though, the "outargue anyone" thing was just too much.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:59 am

Veyron wrote:
Seriously though, the "outargue anyone" thing was just too much.
Ha, I missed that when I browsed over the OP's post.

Anyways, perhaps the OP would fine this article interesting:

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... argue.aspx

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:08 am

If there are any threads I hate it's when some kid tries to tell us how smart he is and how good he is at law like things while trying to justify doing shitty. I'm also guessing your grades in hs were bad as well or else you would have gotten into wustl instead.

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:12 am

A question that I feel has not been attributed enough emphasis is: what do you want to do BEFORE going to law school?

Having great numbers is obviously the most important step, but keep in mind that at the top law schools you will be applying along with literally hundreds if not thousands of other people with great numbers. How do you separate yourself from this pack of overachievers? Work experience and extra-curricular activities.

For instance, if you look at the admissions stats for Harvard's L1 class of this year, 72% were at least one year out of college, and 52% were out of college at least 2 years. What were they doing during that time? Teaching, building houses, interning at firms, enjoying Fulbright fellowships - in short, they were experiencing the real world.

Harvard, Yale, and the other top schools enjoy essentially a healthy stream of 4.0/170+ applicants, and they want to see not only that you are good in school, but that you are a well-rounded human being.

You seem like a smart person, and you seem admirably driven. But you also seem a little naive. In fact, I would argue most college students are a little naive. I certainly was when I was in college. College provides a bubble that shields you from the real world, and I can completely understand why a law school would prefer someone who has been away from that atmosphere for a couple years.

My advice to you is this:

1. Get the absolute highest GPA possible.
2. Get the absolute highest LSAT possible.
3. Seal the deal by doing something interesting before you go to law school - Teach for America, Peace Corps, Fulbright, Other work experience, heck, even the military.

1 and 2 are obvious, but if you wind up with a 3.7 and something less than 175, how you manage 3 could make the difference. Keep in mind that these experiences are often how people manage to produce awesome personal statements and letters of recommendation.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:If there are any threads I hate it's when some kid tries to tell us how smart he is and how good he is at law like things while trying to justify doing shitty. I'm also guessing your grades in hs were bad as well or else you would have gotten into wustl instead.
Ouch. SLU isn't THAT bad, and they give out scholarships like candy. WUSTL is a great school, but there's something to be said for graduating debt-free.

But with that said: what do you want us to tell you, OP? You've admitted to average grades in HS, and your one semester of college grades is incredibly underwhelming. Your record speaks of laziness, but you're banking on 4.0s from here on out? And with the LSAT, you'd be surprised how many 0Ls of "superior intelligence" come on TLS assuming they'll achieve a 99%ile score. Most of them fall short of expectations. By a lot.

If you can hit these goals (~3.8, ~175), then you absolutely deserve to attend a top school. But before you set your sights on Harvard, worry about making good on that intellect by getting the grades. Then, in two years, worry about the LSAT. And if you're able to accomplish all of this while still having a somewhat balanced college career, worry about H.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:07 am

I think the best advice I can give to a college kid (aside from studying and getting great grades) is to take more than one course with the same professor. I went to a biggish school, and had pretty large classes, so I felt like it was very difficult for me to get meaningful academic recommendations. I wish I had taken more time to get to know my professors so I could get great recs and also use them to help me network later on.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Haha, man, I can't stand kids who say things like "I have a 3.1 but that's just because I wasn't trying."

No, you have a 3.1 because everything in your life led up to the point where you earned that 3.1. If you could have done better, you would have.

We all know how big your brain is, so you'd better be back here in 2 yrs with a 3.7, minimum.

Also, please don't bring up your high school standardized test scores anymore. The ACT is not hard.

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:59 pm

SLU-Monster wrote:
dr123 wrote:why do people post chances threads with no lsat score?
I know that it really makes little sense to post without an LSAT score, but I know myself and I can conservatively put myself on a 175 with a large amount of work. I'm sorry for not having a score ready, but that is why I included the ACT score, to see if there is a correlation between the two.
Stopped reading here. There is a thread on here with ACT to LSAT correlation questions. You should read it.

Wolverhoo

New

Post by Wolverhoo » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:11 pm

For what its worth, I got a 2.8 in HS. Went to a directional school and barely managed a 3.0 before transferring to my X state university.

Then I decided I wanted to go to law school, made a complete turn around and got near perfect grades for a few semesters, then pulled a 172 on test day.

I don't go to H but I do go to a t10 with a decent scholarship.

POINT IS, it's possible to go from being a cocky fuck up at a sub-par school to getting a LS that you want (I mean this in a nice way). Although H is a tall order.

ADVICE: (1) Take BS classes and get 4.0s. (2) Follow the instructions on the website re: the LSAT.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:For what its worth, I got a 2.8 in HS. Went to a directional school and barely managed a 3.0 before transferring to my X state university.

Then I decided I wanted to go to law school, made a complete turn around and got near perfect grades for a few semesters, then pulled a 172 on test day.

I don't go to H but I do go to a t10 with a decent scholarship.

POINT IS, it's possible to go from being a cocky fuck up at a sub-par school to getting a LS that you want (I mean this in a nice way). Although H is a tall order.

ADVICE: (1) Take BS classes and get 4.0s. (2) Follow the instructions on the website re: the LSAT.
Get 4.0s every semester. While you're at it, don't forget to show up for the LSAT on time (oh, and score in the top 1%). Not a big deal.

-Steve

sent from my iPhone

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”