3.51/154 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ineptimusprime

Bronze

3.51/154

Post by ineptimusprime » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:16 pm

What are my chances?

Idaho (instate)
Gonzaga
Oregon
Pacific
Utah
Willamette

Yes, I realize most of these are TTT, but I don't believe I really have the intellect to do more than 3 or 4 points better on the LSAT. Is a three point jump worth taking a year off and retaking? I really don't know.

General Tso

Gold

Re: 3.51/154

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:29 pm

I'd go to Idaho...the others will be too expensive to be worthwhile. If you are going to a TTT and are going to make 35-50k regardless, then you should be going to the cheapest place.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:34 pm

General Tso wrote:I'd go to Idaho...the others will be too expensive to be worthwhile. If you are going to a TTT and are going to make 35-50k regardless, then you should be going to the cheapest place.
Agree. Although I always have the temptation to recommend a retake for sub-160 scorers.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:36 pm

atresia wrote:
General Tso wrote:I'd go to Idaho...the others will be too expensive to be worthwhile. If you are going to a TTT and are going to make 35-50k regardless, then you should be going to the cheapest place.
Agree. Although I always have the temptation to recommend a retake for sub-160 scorers.
I would recommend a retake as well...there's nothing wrong with working for a year. You will get some experience and hopefully save some cash for school. I would take an LSAT prep course like Testmasters or Powerscore.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm leaning towards Idaho as I feel it makes the most economic sense (assuming I get in). I want to practice in either the inland northwest or the rocky mountain west. Namely Eastern Washington, Utah, or Idaho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:41 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:I'm leaning towards Idaho as I feel it makes the most economic sense (assuming I get in). I want to practice in either the inland northwest or the rocky mountain west. Namely Eastern Washington, Utah, or Idaho.
how much debt would it require?

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:48 pm

Probably not much; I have spouse who will be working, and parents who are willing to contribute 10K per year.

I'm fine starting out making around 50K. The cost of living in this part of the country is a bargain compared to most.

Taffybear2

New

Post by Taffybear2 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 pm

You have a pretty good gpa. Your lsat shows that you have a grasp of the test. Getting 3-5 points higher could get you a lot more $$$ at these schools or could open doors to much better schools. I personally think it is worth the investment. My retake got me from a 155>161. This is the difference between going to a lower rank school at sticker or going to the same school with probably half to full ride scholarship. To me 3-4 months studying was worth the probable $30K to $100k in scholarship money.

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Is it then the general consensus that I should wait a year and try for an improvement even though I want to work in the region I do, and can likely attend a school in the region with little to no debt? (current savings, a working spouse and a 30K contribution from my family)

If I thought I could improve my LSAT substantially (167+) of course I'd wait a year, retake, and hope for the t14. I'm reasonable enough to see that.

But...

I don't think I'm necessarily smart enough for that, nor am I sure I want that. I'm kind of a small town guy that would be content working in a small to mid-size firm in the areas these schools would place me. Is there really anything unreasonable about going to Idaho paying in-state tuition? Also, looking back at the past through LSN, I may even get a small scholarship to Idaho..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Also, I'm still interested in hearing what people think the results of my apps to these schools will be; be it rejection, acceptance, waitlist, etc.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:46 pm

ineptimusprime wrote: Idaho (instate) - IN
Gonzaga - IN
Oregon - OUT
Pacific - WL/IN
Utah - OUT
Willamette - IN
It seems like Idaho is perhaps the best choice in your situation. I highly recommend that you contact TLS user A'nold regarding his experiences at Idaho. He went there for one year and then transferred to U of Washington. He seemed to strongly dislike Idaho for some reason...something to do with unfair grading practices or something.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:18 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Probably not much; I have spouse who will be working, and parents who are willing to contribute 10K per year.

I'm fine starting out making around 50K. The cost of living in this part of the country is a bargain compared to most.
If you are sure that you want to be an attorney and do not have biglaw aspirations, and you are sure that you couldn't bump your LSAT by 10 points or so, you should definitely go to Idaho due to the fact that you will basically be going for free and you want to work in the Rocky Mountain region.

It is very hard to find employment out of U of I right now. Unless you are one of the top 5 students or so at the school (and even then it is a crapshoot) you will need to bust your butt to find employment. You will need to network, get good grades, and get work experience any chance you get.

U of I is a different kind of law school animal. The grading is unfair, the building is likely the most run-down law school building in the country (I'm really not joking here at all), the average quality of student is on the lower end (not being an elitist or anything but it is noticeable; note that this says nothing about the quality of person someone is, obviously, and I'm sure you will meet many great, kind friends there). On the plus side, the community is very small and home-town feely and is in a very pretty portion of the country. Some of the professors are pretty good such as Professors Long and Bridy (note that there are a few horrendous ones though). You can attend here for basically nothing and you will get a law degree. If you work hard at finding employment and getting good grades, Idaho can be a great fit for you.

If you do go, watch out for the 1950's chairs in the law library, everyone gets stabbed by the chairs and you may bleed. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”