CA school chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hmmp22

New

CA school chances

Post by hmmp22 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:25 am

I am a California resident and have my heart pretty much set on staying in state for law school. I graduated with a 3.85 and got a 165 on my first LSAT this December. As you all seem to know a lot more than I do, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my chances for the following schools:

Berkley
UCLA
USC
Hastings
UC Davis
LMU
Pepperdine
USD
Santa Clara

Two things to keep in mind: (1) I have a criminal record for a driving under the influence (explained in my personal statement-father passed away from multiple sclerosis right before I left for college, resulting in a difficult and dark period during my first year away from home), and (2) I have pretty severe dyslexia and was still able to achieve mild academic success (LSAT status has an "accommodated test" icon in it). Not sure if that helps or hurts my LSAT score. Thanks in advance for any help

Knock

Platinum

Re: CA school chances

Post by Knock » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:28 am

hmmp22 wrote:I am a California resident and have my heart pretty much set on staying in state for law school. I graduated with a 3.85 and got a 165 on my first LSAT this December. As you all seem to know a lot more than I do, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my chances for the following schools:

Berkley
UCLA
USC
Hastings
UC Davis
LMU
Pepperdine
USD
Santa Clara

Two things to keep in mind: (1) I have a criminal record for a driving under the influence (explained in my personal statement-father passed away from multiple sclerosis right before I left for college, resulting in a difficult and dark period during my first year away from home), and (2) I have pretty severe dyslexia and was still able to achieve mild academic success (LSAT status has an "accommodated test" icon in it). Not sure if that helps or hurts my LSAT score. Thanks in advance for any help
Likely in Davis and down, waitlist at Berkeley, UCLA, USC. Although you have a shot at UCLA and a pretty good one at USC due to your high GPA. How are your softs/WE? Have you considered ED'ing to UCLA? or are you looking for scholarship $$$?
Last edited by Knock on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:30 am

I'd say in everywhere south of USC and a chance at UCLA with an ED at the beginning of next cycle.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:37 am

FlanAl wrote:I'd say in everywhere south of USC and a chance at UCLA with an ED at the beginning of next cycle.
This seems correct.

jwrash

Bronze

Post by jwrash » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 am

FlanAl wrote:I'd say in everywhere south of USC and a chance at UCLA with an ED at the beginning of next cycle.

hmmp22

New

Post by hmmp22 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:57 am

Thanks for the tips all, it is much appreciated.

Knock, my softs include:

Magna Cum Laude
Member in a number of academic honors societies,
Senior thesis on crime and deviance published in a southern CA sociological journal,
Nominated for presidential citation
Nominated for valedictorian speaker for 2009 graduation

WE:
Currently work at pretty successful bay area law firm as a legal assistant and volunteer at center for an at risk youth as an academic tutor and sports fitness coach.

Also, does anyone know how admissions committee's interpret an "accommodated test". Meaning, would they view it as a positive in the fact that I was able to get a decent score despite my sever learning disability, or would they see it as a leg up on the competition? Thank again folks for any advice

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”