Retake Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Curry

Re: Retake

Post by Curry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:52 pm

nodummy wrote:
NorCalBruin wrote:Ok, I'm going to give you the advice you want.

I suggest looking at three schools, all T2, all that you have a shot at and maybe even $$. Based on LSN and LSP and schools I've visited, I would shoot for:

1.) McGeorge (University of the Pacific). They have accepted people with lower GPAs and similar LSAT scores. They have very nice facilities. Well I should qualify that. Some things are outdated, but they just finished a new library and because the law school is separate from the campus they have a lot of things like a gym, dining area, etc right there just for law students. Basically, they've recently put some money into the campus. Wasrning---they are known for being uber competitive, mostly cause students are fighting to keep their GPA up to not lose their schollies. If you don't mind working in Sacramento or Northern California after law school, this is a decent option.

2.) Chapman University. They may waitlist you, but it's worth a shot. They also have a very nice facility (still very new, very nice inside). I took their tour and was really impressed. Although the LA market is super saturated with UCLA, USC, Loyola, and Pepperdine grads... Orange County is just a little more insulated than adjacent LA and Chapman still places OK down there. Also, they have been rapidly rising in the ranking, and FWIW, often rank well in Princeton review things (like quality of life, classroom experience.) Definitely something to look at. Probably a school that will continue to get better.

3.) West Virginia. Don't know much about it. Do know that people with your numbers get in.
This is amazing information and meets all qualifications for actually answering the initial question I asked. You, sir, are a gem among coal stones.
Given all that amazing information, you should probably look at participating in a:
DELETED

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:53 pm

LSATWIZ.COM wrote:The sub-3 does make it tough. I have seen people with 2.9XX and 165s get rejected from places that 3.01 and 163s have gotten into. Something about being under a 3 does communicate an exceptional risk as a student to these law schools. Generally speaking, to get into a 1st tier school with a sub-3, you will need something in the mid-160s.

2.66 and 163 likely will not be good enough for a tier 1.

I would look at tier 2 schools in the region you'd like to work.
But I don't trust LSN bc my softs are really good.

I've published a book. I've worked as a journalist in most major US markets. I've been out of school for 5 years and thought that should make some difference.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Or rather. This might be more beneficial:

Here is the blog of someone who went to a TTT

http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Hahaha what is he grabbing? Is he grabbing a fat roll near her stomach? Is he aiming for lower? What is that?

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:53 pm

You can sort through LSN data points here: http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

And since your softs do seem pretty good, you could have a more optimistic view of your prospects within the parameters these data points provide.

Where do you want to practice? You would want to go to school in that region, obviously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:07 pm

applepiecrust wrote:You can sort through LSN data points here: http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

And since your softs do seem pretty good, you could have a more optimistic view of your prospects within the parameters these data points provide.

Where do you want to practice? You would want to go to school in that region, obviously.
Thanks for this. I'd prefer staying around DC, however I realize that will be tought with all the T1s. Can an athiest go to Catholic?

weejonbu

Bronze

Post by weejonbu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 pm

--ImageRemoved--

RETAKE.

Edit: Even the President's doing it!

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:32 pm

nodummy wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:You can sort through LSN data points here: http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0910

Thanks for this. I'd prefer staying around DC, however I realize that will be tought with all the T1s. Can an athiest go to Catholic?
I suppose so long as you don't mention your religious preferences, Catholic has no way of determining. American and GMU also look like possibilities for you, and those are both T1, right?
Of course, as you already know, DC is a tough market and while I love this city, I have few hopes of getting back immediately after law school even after graduating from a T10.

Also, William and Mary will probably be a waitlist but perhaps you could work your way off of it.

Though, seriously, as others on this thread have already said, if you could raise your LSAT score 7+ points, you would have much better prospects.
Last edited by applepiecrust on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
nodummy wrote:

I suppose so long as you don't mention your religious preferences, Catholic has no way of determining. American and GMU also look like possibilities for you. Of course, as you already know, DC is a tough market and while I love this city, I have few hopes of getting back immediately after law school even after graduating from a T10.
Tough doesn't even begin to describe it. Students at GULC have trouble breaking into the market. Its even worse for TTTs

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:41 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:
nodummy wrote:

I suppose so long as you don't mention your religious preferences, Catholic has no way of determining. American and GMU also look like possibilities for you. Of course, as you already know, DC is a tough market and while I love this city, I have few hopes of getting back immediately after law school even after graduating from a T10.
Tough doesn't even begin to describe it. Students at GULC have trouble breaking into the market. Its even worse for TTTs
Law firms and govt jobs are probably a bloodbath. At the same time, it does somewhat depend on what you want to do. I know lawyers working with non-profits here who make anywhere between 40k-60k and went to TTs/TTTs: for them, it's about the connections they made and commitment to the issues they are advocating for. While I would certainly not want a 40-60k job after incurring 200k debt, perhaps OP feels differently.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 pm

applepiecrust wrote:Law firms and govt jobs are probably a bloodbath. At the same time, it does somewhat depend on what you want to do. I know lawyers working with non-profits here who make anywhere between 40k-60k and went to TTs/TTTs: for them, it's about the connections they made and commitment to the issues they are advocating for. While I would certainly not want a 40-60k job after incurring 200k debt, perhaps OP feels differently.
How long ago did they graduate and obtain their jobs?

Because, you know, things have changed a lot in recent years. Your example might not be relevant to the situation facing new graduates today.

applepiecrust

Bronze

Post by applepiecrust » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:Law firms and govt jobs are probably a bloodbath. At the same time, it does somewhat depend on what you want to do. I know lawyers working with non-profits here who make anywhere between 40k-60k and went to TTs/TTTs: for them, it's about the connections they made and commitment to the issues they are advocating for. While I would certainly not want a 40-60k job after incurring 200k debt, perhaps OP feels differently.

Because, you know, things have changed a lot in recent years. Your example might not be relevant to the situation facing new graduates today.
That's true, actually. Not sure about all, but one friend got her job last year and graduated from Northeastern in '07.

Curry

Post by Curry » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

That's true, actually. Not sure about all, but one friend got her job last year and graduated from Northeastern in '07.
07 was preITE

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”