Retake Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nodummy

Bronze

Re: Retake

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:His numbers were lower, but I dont remember they've been deleted. Someone remember?
I started this thread by telling everyone that I understand how low my GPA is...2.66. And I also said I didn't need to be told retaking was the only option. I know it's an option but I'm looking for more info., which appears go beyond most people here.

numbers: 2.66 and 163.

Not perfect by any stretch but it def could be worse.

I'm only asking for my options other than retaking.

Diamond

Re: Possible splitter?

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:
nodummy wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote: Retake is not pointless information. Its credited information. Information we gathered by visiting this site and being told this over and over again until we understood WHY it was being said. We posted in your thread because we want to give back to the community that has helped us out and played a large role in helping us get to the law schools we want to get to. He gets nothing out of posting in "your thread" except the satisfaction that he's helping another person. If you act like a complete fucktard in response, don't expect the rest of us to sit here and take it. We've told you why your initial question is stupid. We gave you the alternative. We explained to you the alternative. We put up with your bullshit about "not wanting to retake" but now, when you start insulting us for trying to show you a path that you don't want to see, you cross a line. You can be as big of a smartass as you want; there are people here who were in your shoes who listened and ended up with much higher scores, got into better law schools, and ended up with better job prospects. And there are those that regret not listening to the advice posted here and are regretting taking on the JD because it literally was a waste of their time. Now, normally I would say this with much more kindness but if you don't want our advice, and lets face it, most of the legitimate advice you are going to get is from the people posting all the time, please get the fuck off.
It's pointless when it answers a question I didnt ask.
Are you functionally retarded?
163 bro.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 pm

nodummy wrote:I'm only asking for my options other than retaking.
Unless you've already taken 3 LSATs or somebody has a gun to your head preventing you from retaking, your other options are seriously not worth indulging.

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:13 pm

bk187 wrote:
Unless you've already taken 3 LSATs or somebody has a gun to your head preventing you from retaking, your other options are seriously not worth indulging.
Let's pretend I've taken 3 LSATs.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:14 pm

What I still don't get OP is how, after 200+ posts here, you didn't know that the no-brainer response in your case would be to retake...?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:14 pm

nodummy wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Then get a job until you can take another LSAT, or get a law school to sponsor a 4th retake. Or don't go to law school.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:15 pm

nodummy wrote:Let's pretend I've taken 3 LSATs.
Let's wait until you get to that point before actually considering those options.
Last edited by bk1 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:15 pm

beachbum wrote:
nodummy wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Then get a job until you can take another LSAT, or get a law school to sponsor a 4th retake. Or don't go to law school.

Are you 8 years old? Do your parents know how often you're online acting this way?

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:17 pm

krad wrote:What I still don't get OP is how, after 200+ posts here, you didn't know that the no-brainer response in your case would be to retake...?
I saw another post where a guy had 165 and 2.5 and was given real information...

I'm not saying those are my numbers but he still was treated fairly and given answers to the questions he asked.

guess im just a dreamer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:19 pm

nodummy wrote:Are you 8 years old? Do your parents know how often you're online acting this way?
I was adopted. :(

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:20 pm

nodummy wrote:I saw another post where a guy had 165 and 2.5 and was given real information.
Real information for you is to retake.

I mean is it that hard for you to look at an LSN graph yourself and see what happened to people with your numbers? All your dumb hypothetical, non-retake options would be made pretty clear to you.

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:21 pm

bk187 wrote:
nodummy wrote:I saw another post where a guy had 165 and 2.5 and was given real information.
Real information for you is to retake.

I mean is it that hard for you to look at an LSN graph yourself and see what happened to people with your numbers? All your dumb hypothetical, non-retake options would be made pretty clear to you.
Can you either go a few posts without saying "retake" or move to another thread?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:24 pm

nodummy wrote:Can you either go a few posts without saying "retake" or move to another thread?
As someone who has been in your position before, no I cannot.

Maybe you'll end up retaking, applying next cycle, and appreciating the advice that people here on TLS gave you. I know that TLS beating into me that I should retake was the best advice I have ever been given.

Maybe you won't and you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot. It really won't affect me what happens to you, but I thought I'd at least try considering there were a ton of people on TLS who did that for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:26 pm

bk187 wrote:
nodummy wrote:Can you either go a few posts without saying "retake" or move to another thread?

Maybe you'll end up retaking, applying next cycle, and appreciating the advice that people here on TLS gave you. I know that TLS beating into me that I should retake was the best advice I have ever been given.

Maybe you won't and you'll end up shooting yourself in the foot. It really won't affect me what happens to you, but I thought I'd at least try considering there were a ton of people on TLS who did that for me.
Glad you received such momentous help from this website...now move along.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:28 pm

nodummy wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Go to St. Johns and ruin your life you waste of space.

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nodummy wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Go to St. Johns and ruin your life you waste of space.

i like your rhyming skillz

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:32 pm

btw, isn't OP's name ironic?

Can we please just lock this thread now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:btw, isn't OP's name ironic?

Can we please just lock this thread now.
Yes it is.

Probably not justifying of a lock unless you are locking because it's been asked and answered. If every thread like this got locked, the mods would be busy all the time.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:36 pm

OP: I'm sorry you came to this website expecting answers to only the simple questions that you ask. You even ruled out the obvious answer for us in your OP! How thoughtless of us. We are, after all, future attorneys, trained to think outside the box and offer unconventional solutions to everyday problems. Surely we can come up with something.

What follows is what was once some outside the box thinking. I'm not sure it will work in your case, but it's been proven in multiple other scenarios to significantly increase your chances of success at a top tier law school.

First off, realize that having a somewhat law UGPA and LSAT combination is not necessarily the death toll of your legal career. There are many successful attorneys who have graduated from "lesser" law schools and done just fine for themselves. Granted, they all graduated in an era where plush jobs were readily available to non-T14 graduates, but since we're ignoring big-picture ideas, we'll strike that consideration from the list. Either way, you need to know that a low LSAT/UGPA combo is not the end of the road for everyone. Rejoice!

Second, you should realize that...I can't even keep sunshine-up-your-ass rhetoric any longer. Retake.

ETA: Srsly, OP. Check this thread out. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=135280

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:38 pm

patrickd139 wrote:OP: I'm sorry you came to this website expecting answers to only the simple questions that you ask. You even ruled out the obvious answer for us in your OP! How thoughtless of us. We are, after all, future attorneys, trained to think outside the box and offer unconventional solutions to everyday problems. Surely we can come up with something.

What follows is what was once some outside the box thinking. I'm not sure it will work in your case, but it's been proven in multiple other scenarios to significantly increase your chances of success at a top tier law school.

First off, realize that having a somewhat law UGPA and LSAT combination is not necessarily the death toll of your legal career. There are many successful attorneys who have graduated from "lesser" law schools and done just fine for themselves. Granted, they all graduated in an era where plush jobs were readily available to non-T14 graduates, but since we're ignoring big-picture ideas, we'll strike that consideration from the list. Either way, you need to know that a low LSAT/UGPA combo is not the end of the road for everyone. Rejoice!

Second, you should realize that...I can't even keep sunshine-up-your-ass rhetoric any longer. Retake.

what's a "law" UGPA?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:41 pm

nodummy wrote:what's a "law" UGPA?
It's called a typographical error (commonly referred to as a 'typo' or 'mistake'). In this case, when typing the word "low," I mistakenly struck the 'a' key instead of the 'o' key second in the sequence. Your reading comprehension skills astound me. Also, I believe I've upped my post-count enough in this thread. GL with life.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Ok, I'm going to give you the advice you want.

I suggest looking at three schools, all T2, all that you have a shot at and maybe even $$. Based on LSN and LSP and schools I've visited, I would shoot for:

1.) McGeorge (University of the Pacific). They have accepted people with lower GPAs and similar LSAT scores. They have very nice facilities. Well I should qualify that. Some things are outdated, but they just finished a new library and because the law school is separate from the campus they have a lot of things like a gym, dining area, etc right there just for law students. Basically, they've recently put some money into the campus. Wasrning---they are known for being uber competitive, mostly cause students are fighting to keep their GPA up to not lose their schollies. If you don't mind working in Sacramento or Northern California after law school, this is a decent option.

2.) Chapman University. They may waitlist you, but it's worth a shot. They also have a very nice facility (still very new, very nice inside). I took their tour and was really impressed. Although the LA market is super saturated with UCLA, USC, Loyola, and Pepperdine grads... Orange County is just a little more insulated than adjacent LA and Chapman still places OK down there. Also, they have been rapidly rising in the ranking, and FWIW, often rank well in Princeton review things (like quality of life, classroom experience.) Definitely something to look at. Probably a school that will continue to get better.

3.) West Virginia. Don't know much about it. Do know that people with your numbers get in.

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:43 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
nodummy wrote:what's a "law" UGPA?
It's called a typographical error (commonly referred to as a 'typo' or 'mistake'). In this case, when typing the word "low," I mistakenly struck the 'a' key instead of the 'o' key second in the sequence. Your reading comprehension skills astound me. Also, I believe I've upped my post-count enough in this thread. GL with life.
oh i thought it was some outside the box lawyerly thinking that i didnt know about...sorry man

nodummy

Bronze

Post by nodummy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:44 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:Ok, I'm going to give you the advice you want.

I suggest looking at three schools, all T2, all that you have a shot at and maybe even $$. Based on LSN and LSP and schools I've visited, I would shoot for:

1.) McGeorge (University of the Pacific). They have accepted people with lower GPAs and similar LSAT scores. They have very nice facilities. Well I should qualify that. Some things are outdated, but they just finished a new library and because the law school is separate from the campus they have a lot of things like a gym, dining area, etc right there just for law students. Basically, they've recently put some money into the campus. Wasrning---they are known for being uber competitive, mostly cause students are fighting to keep their GPA up to not lose their schollies. If you don't mind working in Sacramento or Northern California after law school, this is a decent option.

2.) Chapman University. They may waitlist you, but it's worth a shot. They also have a very nice facility (still very new, very nice inside). I took their tour and was really impressed. Although the LA market is super saturated with UCLA, USC, Loyola, and Pepperdine grads... Orange County is just a little more insulated than adjacent LA and Chapman still places OK down there. Also, they have been rapidly rising in the ranking, and FWIW, often rank well in Princeton review things (like quality of life, classroom experience.) Definitely something to look at. Probably a school that will continue to get better.

3.) West Virginia. Don't know much about it. Do know that people with your numbers get in.
This is amazing information and meets all qualifications for actually answering the initial question I asked. You, sir, are a gem among coal stones.

LSATWIZ

New

Post by LSATWIZ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:50 pm

The sub-3 does make it tough. I have seen people with 2.9XX and 165s get rejected from places that 3.01 and 163s have gotten into. Something about being under a 3 does communicate an exceptional risk as a student to these law schools. Generally speaking, to get into a 1st tier school with a sub-3, you will need something in the mid-160s.

2.66 and 163 likely will not be good enough for a tier 1.

I would look at tier 2 schools in the region you'd like to work.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”