169 LSAT 3.91 GPA -- ED to Duke? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Rory1987

Bronze

169 LSAT 3.91 GPA -- ED to Duke?

Post by Rory1987 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:34 pm

Or blanket the T14 and see what happens?

mikey101

New

Re: 169 LSAT 3.91 GPA -- ED to Duke?

Post by mikey101 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Rory1987 wrote:Or blanket the T14 and see what happens?
IMO, No way do you apply ED. I'm grappling with the same question (ED to Duke) with inferior numbers (167/3.84) and one of the major cons for me is the possibility of getting into one or more T14s and that's with my numbers (I'm also not sure if I'm prepared to accept Duke at sticker). But even if you're T14 or bust, I would be very surprised if you didn't get into Cornell, and that GPA makes you competitive at Gtown, Northwestern (if you have WE), Virginia, Michigan, Penn and even Berkeley.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 pm

mikey101 wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:Or blanket the T14 and see what happens?
IMO, No way do you apply ED. I'm grappling with the same question (ED to Duke) with inferior numbers (167/3.84) and one of the major cons for me is the possibility of getting into one or more T14s and that's with my numbers (I'm also not sure if I'm prepared to accept Duke at sticker). But even if you're T14 or bust, I would be very surprised if you didn't get into Cornell, and that GPA makes you competitive at Gtown, Northwestern (if you have WE), Virginia, Michigan, Penn and even Berkeley.
Yah, but then if the OP didn't get Duke he would have to go to Cornell... ;)

FWIW, I was almost exactly the same numbers, applied PT (see if they will give it to you too) to Duke and got in (and here I am). Admittedly, this was a few cycles ago, but you probably don't NEED to do ED to get into Duke.

mikey101

New

Post by mikey101 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Yeah if you look at Duke's LSN #'s from last cycle you're definitely in admit territory. One or two WLs but the vast majority are in without ED.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 pm

Duke won't do priority track; I have almost identical numbers, asked them about this, and they told me no.

I decided not to ED anywhere and just blanket it. I haven't heard back from any T14 schools yet despite applying in Early September, but I haven't been denied or waitlisted anywhere either so I'm still optimistic.

If you really want to go to Duke, and you're willing to pay sticker, I'd say it's a good idea. If you want to take a bit more risk for much greater returns, then blanket T14.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 pm

But aren't I going to be hurt by applying this late in the cycle?

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 pm

duckmoney wrote:Duke won't do priority track; I have almost identical numbers, asked them about this, and they told me no.

I decided not to ED anywhere and just blanket it. I haven't heard back from any T14 schools yet despite applying in Early September, but I haven't been denied or waitlisted anywhere either so I'm still optimistic.

If you really want to go to Duke, and you're willing to pay sticker, I'd say it's a good idea. If you want to take a bit more risk for much greater returns, then blanket T14.
See, I'm T14 or bust. Penn and Berkeley are my dreams, but at this late in the cycle I think I'm a waitlist at both. I'm just nervous that I'll be waitlisted everywhere and will hate myself forever for not EDing Duke if I do.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Rory1987 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:Duke won't do priority track; I have almost identical numbers, asked them about this, and they told me no.

See, I'm T14 or bust. Penn and Berkeley are my dreams, but at this late in the cycle I think I'm a waitlist at both. I'm just nervous that I'll be waitlisted everywhere and will hate myself forever for not EDing Duke if I do.
T-14 or bust + don't mind paying sticker = Go for it and ED

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:32 pm

duckmoney wrote:
Rory1987 wrote:

T-14 or bust + don't mind paying sticker = Go for it and ED
If I knew that at least Cornell was a lock then I wouldn't ED, but I'm so on the fence.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:30 am

Rory1987 wrote:

I don't know why you think you don't have a really good shot at Berkeley. LSP gives you a 2/3rds chance at getting in. You're just below their 75th %ile for LSAT and a little below their 75th GPA too.

They give you 4 pages for the personal statement. Use it. Write a personalized one for them.

Also, do Penn.

Rory1987

Bronze

Post by Rory1987 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:39 pm

bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”