Applied to 40 Law Schools Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
surfparks6

New

Applied to 40 Law Schools

Post by surfparks6 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:13 am

Before you get overly critical, I had the LSAC fee waiver, which dramatically reduced the cost of every application. All except a few were only $12. I took the LSAT 3 times, 148, 150 and finished with a 155. My UGPA was a mere 3.1. After doing a UGPA and LSAT filter search on LSAC, I created a list of A, B, C schools that I would be willing to attend due to their location and their reputation (I know, some of the schools listed are not the greatest). I think I applied to around 23 "A" schools, meaning they are at least a tier 2, but I have less than a 50% chance of admittance. Yes, I did take an LSAT prep course and studied my ass off while working and attending school. The last time I took it I was working full time and had no life for 2 1/2 months. Standardized tests and me do not get along. I went to UCLA, which is a good school, not an Ivy League, but still notable. I currently work at a corporate law firm and have many extra curricular activities, strong LOR's and a real solid PS. I've supported myself basically from the time I was 17, paid for all my schooling and living expenses. I was a manager of a swimming facility freshman-sophomore year with a staff of 30 I oversaw and I later worked at a car dealership managing a sales team. I also dealt with all the financial transactions while working there. I definitely highlighted myself as a natural leader who can pull my own weight in academics but that I definitely excel in real life situations.

Here are the schools, what are my chances? Yes, every personal statement was critiqued for each school, highlighting their program and why I would want to attend their school. I also did the optional school essays.

Albany - Already Admitted
Buffalo Law School
California Western School of Law
Chapman
Chicago-Kent College of Law - Denied
City University of New York
CUA Law
Denver Sturm College of Law
DePaul
Earle Mack, Drexel
Florida International University
Golden Gate
Hofstra Law School - Wait-listed
Houston Law Center - Denied
Lewis & Clark Law School
Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Loyola University LA - Denied
Maryland School of Law
McGeorge School of Law for the Fall 
Michigan State University College of Law - Deferred to Feb. review
University of New Hampshire School of Law - Already Admitted w/ 8k a year.
New York Law School - Already Admitted
Northeastern University School of Law
Pace Law School
Penn State Law
Pepperdine University School of Law
Quinnipiac University School of Law
Rutgers University, Newark
Rutgers, The State of New Jersey Camden
San Francisco School of Law
Santa Clara University School of Law - Deferred to Feb. Review (applied ED)
Seattle University School of Law
Southwestern
St. John's University School of Law
Suffolk - Already Admitted
Syracuse
Thomas Jefferson
University of Richmond
Villanova University School of Law
Whittier Law School - Already Admitted w/16k Scholarship 1st year.

Honestly, I have a lot of friends applying to Medical Schools and the fact that we don't have to do secondaries or fly around the country to interview at schools made me realize just how easy we have it, so I just put myself out there and I am now waiting on the committee's decisions.

I'm really realistic in knowing that I'm going to get a lot of rejections but, thats life. So far I'm happy to see several admitted schools. However, most of my admitted schools are a tier 3.

Anyways, I'm just posting this up to see what some of my peers who are going through the same emotions think.

To answer the most reoccurring question on TLS, No, I'm not going to take the LSAT again. Yes, I know where I stand statistically on getting into some of these schools, but some feedback is always nice.

Good Luck Everyone!

arvcondor

Bronze

Re: Applied to 40 Law Schools

Post by arvcondor » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:35 am

I'm thinking T3 for the most part. Out at Maryland - that much I know.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:01 am

That's a lot of schools. You should get into a few. But damn, you mus have spent a lot of time compiling that post.. :)

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:59 am

LLB2JD wrote:That's a lot of schools. You should get into a few. But damn, you must have spent a lot of time compiling that post.. :)

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:43 am

If you are looking for TT then I could see Syracuse giving you a nod

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:53 am

Differences in employment prospects are likely negligible between these schools. So pick where you want to practice, and try to minimize your debt. Good luck.

iWayneState

New

Post by iWayneState » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:10 am

surfparks6 wrote:Before you get overly critical, I had the LSAC fee waiver, which dramatically reduced the cost of every application. All except a few were only $12. I took the LSAT 3 times, 148, 150 and finished with a 155. My UGPA was a mere 3.1. After doing a UGPA and LSAT filter search on LSAC, I created a list of A, B, C schools that I would be willing to attend due to their location and their reputation (I know, some of the schools listed are not the greatest). I think I applied to around 23 "A" schools, meaning they are at least a tier 2, but I have less than a 50% chance of admittance. Yes, I did take an LSAT prep course and studied my ass off while working and attending school. The last time I took it I was working full time and had no life for 2 1/2 months. Standardized tests and me do not get along. I went to UCLA, which is a good school, not an Ivy League, but still notable. I currently work at a corporate law firm and have many extra curricular activities, strong LOR's and a real solid PS. I've supported myself basically from the time I was 17, paid for all my schooling and living expenses. I was a manager of a swimming facility freshman-sophomore year with a staff of 30 I oversaw and I later worked at a car dealership managing a sales team. I also dealt with all the financial transactions while working there. I definitely highlighted myself as a natural leader who can pull my own weight in academics but that I definitely excel in real life situations.

Here are the schools, what are my chances? Yes, every personal statement was critiqued for each school, highlighting their program and why I would want to attend their school. I also did the optional school essays.

Albany - IN
Buffalo Law School - IN
California Western School of Law - IN
Chapman - IN
City University of New York -IN
CUA Law - IN
Denver Sturm College of Law - WL
DePaul - WL
Earle Mack, Drexel - WL
Florida International University - IN
Golden Gate - IN
Lewis & Clark Law School - Deny
Loyola University Chicago School of Law -WL
Maryland School of Law - Deny
McGeorge School of Law for the Fall  - IN
Northeastern University School of Law - Deny
Pace Law School - IN
Penn State Law - Dent
Pepperdine University School of Law - Deny
Quinnipiac University School of Law - IN
Rutgers University, Newark - deny
Rutgers, The State of New Jersey Camden - deny
San Francisco School of Law - WL
Seattle University School of Law - WL
Southwestern - IN
St. John's University School of Law - WL
Syracuse - deny
Thomas - IN
University of Richmond

Honestly, I have a lot of friends applying to Medical Schools and the fact that we don't have to do secondaries or fly around the country to interview at schools made me realize just how easy we have it, so I just put myself out there and I am now waiting on the committee's decisions.

I'm really realistic in knowing that I'm going to get a lot of rejections but, thats life. So far I'm happy to see several admitted schools. However, most of my admitted schools are a tier 3.

Anyways, I'm just posting this up to see what some of my peers who are going through the same emotions think.

To answer the most reoccurring question on TLS, No, I'm not going to take the LSAT again. Yes, I know where I stand statistically on getting into some of these schools, but some feedback is always nice.

Good Luck Everyone!

Gatorbull84

Bronze

Post by Gatorbull84 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:26 pm

I was on my way to med school before I backed out and you are right. I only applied to 14 med schools which cost way more than the 26 law schools I applied to

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:32 pm

I look forward to your choosing a law school thread. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:35 pm

daaaayyyummmmm; that's a lot of schools lol. GL!

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:26 pm

LLB2JD wrote:That's a lot of schools. You should get into a few. But damn, you mus have spent a lot of time compiling that post.. :)

I created an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the schools I applied to, so I just copied and pasted the school list on TSL. The actual writing of the post didn't take that long. =) Basically I wanted to apply last year but decided to retake the LSAT one more time and definitely happy that I did since it increased my score 7 points from the original test.

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:27 pm

hokie wrote:daaaayyyummmmm; that's a lot of schools lol. GL!

:o omg... so glad that its over now though.. Burnt out!

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:18 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:I look forward to your choosing a law school thread. Good luck.
Thanks! I've done a good amount of research on these schools but I will do more once I get admitted to particular schools. I definitely have my reaching schools that, if I were admitted, it would definitely bump the lower end schools. I will probably create a school thread once I get to that point. I'm just worried about having to deal with wait-listed schools, but I am willing to leave a school I placed a deposit on if a better school accepts me into their program.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:26 pm

arvcondor wrote:I'm thinking T3 for the most part. Out at Maryland - that much I know.

Yeah, Maryland is definitely a reach. I met the director at a school and LSAC forum, she liked me, but I highly doubt being charming will make up for my numbers, unless she has different motives, cougar.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:14 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:I look forward to your choosing a law school thread the epic poll you set up when you choose a law school. Good luck.
ftfy. i love polls.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:26 pm

I think you will receive admission to Rutgers-Newark, however, i cannot say much about the other schools, as i am not quite familiar with many of them.

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:18 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:I think you will receive admission to Rutgers-Newark, however, i cannot say much about the other schools, as i am not quite familiar with many of them.

Don't play with my emotions, I would probably be happy to go to Newark. =P From what I've read online, Rutgers -Newark seems to be a good feeder school into the New York market. Also, it doesn't seem to be too expensive since after the first year you can get in-state tuition. How familiar are you with this school? If you read http://www.top-law-schools.com/rutgers-newark-law.html, how accurate is top-law-schools article would you say??

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I was happy when I read your post, however, unless you're on the admission board... its still hearsay... but, glad to hear it. =)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:18 pm

surfparks6 wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:I think you will receive admission to Rutgers-Newark, however, i cannot say much about the other schools, as i am not quite familiar with many of them.

Don't play with my emotions, I would probably be happy to go to Newark. =P From what I've read online, Rutgers -Newark seems to be a good feeder school into the New York market. Also, it doesn't seem to be too expensive since after the first year you can get in-state tuition. How familiar are you with this school? If you read http://www.top-law-schools.com/rutgers-newark-law.html, how accurate is top-law-schools article would you say??

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I was happy when I read your post, however, unless you're on the admission board... its still hearsay... but, glad to hear it. =)

I am a current student at Rutgers-Newark as an undergraduate, so i have a good amount of experience with the law school. PM for more information.

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:31 am

NJcollegestudent wrote:
surfparks6 wrote:

I am a current student at Rutgers-Newark as an undergraduate, so i have a good amount of experience with the law school. PM for more information.
If I get that acceptance, I definitely will. Thanks!

surfparks6

New

Post by surfparks6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Thought I might as well give an update to this.

These are the Acceptances so far-
Albany
University of New Hampshire School of Law
Suffolk
New York Law School
Whittier Law School
Thomas Jefferson
Pace Law School

These are the Waitlisted schools-
Hofstra Law School
Buffalo Law School
Earle Mack, Drexel

These are the Rejections-
Santa Clara University School of Law
CUA Law
DePaul
Chicago-Kent College of Law
Maryland School of Law
Houston Law Center
Loyola University LA
University of Richmond
Lewis & Clark Law School
Penn State Law

These are the schools I'm still waiting to hear back from-
BYU
Chapman
Southwestern
Stetson
Syracuse
Golden Gate
Michigan State University College of Law

With that said, right now I'm leaning really heavily towards Rutgers-Newark. I like that you can get instate tuition all three years which cuts tuition from 32k-22k. Since I won't be going to a top 20 or even top 50 school, the amount of debt I take on is really important. I won't go on a long tangent on all the other reasons I'm leaning towards this school, but from the forums I've visited and reviews I've read, Rutgers-Newark is a hidden gem.

If I got into Pepperdine or USD, would you say the higher cost of tuition would be worth it? Those are really the only other schools I'm considering over Rutgers - Newark but I haven't received an admittance so not really worrying at the moment. I just don't know if I could justify the additional 13-19k yearly tuition debt for the job prospects these schools offer after graduation.

Do you think I should actively pursue any schools on the waitlist to try to change it to an acceptance? Do you see any other schools on the list that I haven't heard back from that I should investigate more and add to my list of schools I would consider over Rutgers - Newark?
Last edited by surfparks6 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:01 pm

If you're comfortable working in NJ... Rutgers all the way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:02 pm

surfparks6 wrote:Before you get overly critical, I had the LSAC fee waiver, which dramatically reduced the cost of every application. All except a few were only $12. I took the LSAT 3 times, 148, 150 and finished with a 155. My UGPA was a mere 3.1. After doing a UGPA and LSAT filter search on LSAC, I created a list of A, B, C schools that I would be willing to attend due to their location and their reputation (I know, some of the schools listed are not the greatest). I think I applied to around 23 "A" schools, meaning they are at least a tier 2, but I have less than a 50% chance of admittance. Yes, I did take an LSAT prep course and studied my ass off while working and attending school. The last time I took it I was working full time and had no life for 2 1/2 months. Standardized tests and me do not get along. I went to UCLA, which is a good school, not an Ivy League, but still notable. I currently work at a corporate law firm and have many extra curricular activities, strong LOR's and a real solid PS. I've supported myself basically from the time I was 17, paid for all my schooling and living expenses. I was a manager of a swimming facility freshman-sophomore year with a staff of 30 I oversaw and I later worked at a car dealership managing a sales team. I also dealt with all the financial transactions while working there. I definitely highlighted myself as a natural leader who can pull my own weight in academics but that I definitely excel in real life situations.

Albany - Already Admitted
Buffalo Law School
Chapman
CUA Law
DePaul
Earle Mack, Drexel
Golden Gate
Lewis & Clark Law School
Maryland School of Law
Pace Law School
Penn State Law
Southwestern
Syracuse
Thomas Jefferson
University of Richmond

Good Luck Everyone!
I dont even...

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Newark is an ugly city, but Rutgers is a nationally known university with cheap tuition. You'll also have access to the NYC legal market.

It is an accomplishment to get accepted to a strong school. I'd rather pay 20k a year than 40k at NYU. Just make sure you graduate top of your class.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:38 pm

sparty99 wrote:Newark is an ugly city, but Rutgers is a nationally known university with cheap tuition. You'll also have minimal access to the NYC legal market.
FTFY
It is an accomplishment to get accepted to a strong school. I'd rather pay 20k a year than 40k at NYU. Just make sure you graduate top of your class.
Easier said than done hurr durr

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:56 pm

rad law wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Newark is an ugly city, but Rutgers is a nationally known university with cheap tuition. You'll also have minimal access to the NYC legal market.
FTFY
Easier said than done hurr durr
LOL all that is, is someone who can't get into a top school making themselves feel better.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”