Cornell v. Duke Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
NorCalBruin

Silver

Cornell v. Duke

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:39 pm

Which would you rather go to? Why?

Its important to me to feel comfortable and enjoy where I am. Thoughts on Durham v. Ithaca? Or the facilities at Duke v. Facilities at Cornel? Or how students feel about life in general?

Ok. Cool. Thnx. Bye.

NorCalBruin

Silver

Re: Cornell v. Duke

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:40 pm

Posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry. That's what u get for using an iPhone to surf the Internet.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:54 pm

I can't think of many reasons to choose Cornell over Duke. Career prospects, intellectual climate, professors, and actual climate are all better at Duke.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Agree with above the job prospects available for a NY graduate at a top school in the state is more than enough give it an edge.

HowdyYall

Bronze

Post by HowdyYall » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:04 am

go to duke. if you're still having second thoughts visit ithaca in january or february

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:11 am

kkklick wrote:Agree with above the job prospects available for a NY graduate at a top school in the state is more than enough give it an edge.
Cornell is in upstate New York. Georgetown is closer to Manhattan than Cornell (not to mention Penn/Harvard/Yale/Columbia/NYU), so I wouldn't depend on some kind of in-state advantage to help out. For a top school, Cornell has great difficulty placing outside of NYC, and even in New York it places much less well than Duke.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:06 am

Interesting, I haven't done much research on the top 14 yet but I will in the coming weeks.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:17 am

If you want to practice in NY or wherever you have connections to, go to Cornell. If you desire any other employment outcome, go to Duke.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:25 am

Duke is in civilization.

/thread

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:52 am

Duke provides excellent opportunities across the country, not just in NY (which is also a very popular destination for Duke grads). It's law building including the library is gorgeous, its basically new as of last year. Duke is ranked higher (if you care, and you sorta should given that so many people do care about rank). The average temperate right now is something like 42 degrees. And if you care about sports...

Other than that, I bet both schools are pretty similar.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:54 am

cavebat2000 wrote:Duke provides excellent opportunities across the country, not just in NY (which is also a very popular destination for Duke grads). It's law building including the library is gorgeous, its basically new as of last year. Duke is ranked higher (if you care, and you sorta should given that so many people do care about rank). The average temperate right now is something like 42 degrees. And if you care about sports...

The rankings part is meaningless but Duke does do significantly better for jobs outside of NYC.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:57 am

BruceWayne wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:Duke provides excellent opportunities across the country, not just in NY (which is also a very popular destination for Duke grads). It's law building including the library is gorgeous, its basically new as of last year. Duke is ranked higher (if you care, and you sorta should given that so many people do care about rank). The average temperate right now is something like 42 degrees. And if you care about sports...

The rankings part is meaningless but Duke does do significantly better for jobs outside of NYC.
It's not meaningless to many of the people out there that hire.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Duke for better job prospects.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:38 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:It's not meaningless to many of the people out there that hire.
LMAO; so you think that the people that hire scan US News when they make hiring decisions? "Hey Boalt is number 7 and UVA is 10, I'm definitely going to take the Boalt guy!"

pbutta123

New

Post by pbutta123 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:13 am

It might also be foolish to believe law firms filled with law school graduate are oblivious to rankings....and weren't equally obsessive when they applied and even possibly........now? Haha.
That said, visit them. What specialty do you favor, placement in cities, get technical et cetera...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:16 am

dextermorgan wrote:Duke is in civilization.

/thread
The Carolinas are not civilization.

But still who the hell would pick Cornell over Duke?

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:19 am

BruceWayne wrote:

This. Also if you're for whatever reason counting on lay prestige (my parents, for one, got a billion times more excited about my Cornell acceptance than my Duke acceptance), Cornell has the least Ivy recognition out of all the Ivies in the T14. Again, not that I'm saying you should go by ranking, but Duke seems like a better option all around.

For one, I'm still considering Cornell. I tend to like cold weather more than my peers, but Cornell seems to defy that for me. I really don't mind freezing temperatures and copious amounts of snow, but hills + ice could be a game changer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:59 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

This. Also if you're for whatever reason counting on lay prestige (my parents, for one, got a billion times more excited about my Cornell acceptance than my Duke acceptance), Cornell has the least Ivy recognition out of all the Ivies in the T14. Again, not that I'm saying you should go by ranking, but Duke seems like a better option all around.

For one, I'm still considering Cornell. I tend to like cold weather more than my peers, but Cornell seems to defy that for me. I really don't mind freezing temperatures and copious amounts of snow, but hills + ice could be a game changer.
School recognition is idiosyncratic and often varies by region. Also, outside of the Northeast, Columbia and Penn generally have less name recognition than Cornell.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:25 am

/thread
lol ithaca is the best

really not so bad as people make it out to be, it's not like you're in with the townies or anything and collegetown is fun

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:29 am

mths wrote:

/thread
lol ithaca is the best

really not so bad as people make it out to be, it's not like you're in with the townies or anything and collegetown is fun
I went to UG in the middle of nowhere, never again.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Cornell all the way, it is an ivy league school! Ever heard of it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:04 pm

Well, like many TLS'ers I've had the opportunity to visit both schools, and I totally agree with the guy who said: "Duke [Durham] is not civilization"— it's not. However, after visiting both schools, I still lean more towards Duke. This is because the people at Duke are cool as fuck and I felt comfortable being around them. At Cornell I felt a bit out of place (think Legally Blonde). Also, the Duke Professors were very inviting (I hope this is a good sign). As for the Duke Law building, IMO it felt a bit cold, sort of like a hospital, but the library was nice as fuck (a bit too modern, but still very nice), and the grounds were perfect. Will you have an opportunity to visit both schools?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:20 pm

DukeCornell wrote:Well, like many TLS'ers I've had the opportunity to visit both schools, and I totally agree with the guy who said: "Duke [Durham] is not civilization"— it's not. However, after visiting both schools, I still lean more towards Duke. This is because the people at Duke are cool as fuck and I felt comfortable being around them. At Cornell I felt a bit out of place (think Legally Blonde). Also, the Duke Professors were very inviting (I hope this is a good sign). As for the Duke Law building, IMO it felt a bit cold, sort of like a hospital, but the library was nice as fuck (a bit too modern, but still very nice), and the grounds were perfect. Will you have an opportunity to visit both schools?
If the Triangle isn't civilization, I'm not sure what is.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:23 pm

quakeroats wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:Well, like many TLS'ers I've had the opportunity to visit both schools, and I totally agree with the guy who said: "Duke [Durham] is not civilization"— it's not. However, after visiting both schools, I still lean more towards Duke. This is because the people at Duke are cool as fuck and I felt comfortable being around them. At Cornell I felt a bit out of place (think Legally Blonde). Also, the Duke Professors were very inviting (I hope this is a good sign). As for the Duke Law building, IMO it felt a bit cold, sort of like a hospital, but the library was nice as fuck (a bit too modern, but still very nice), and the grounds were perfect. Will you have an opportunity to visit both schools?
Wow! Dude, you seriously need to get out more. Like ASAP! :roll:

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:27 pm

DukeCornell wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Wow! Dude, you seriously need to get out more. Like ASAP! :roll:
There's nothing like starting a sentence with "dude" to drive a point home.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”