3.5/174 deferred at Cornell today Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
newbienew

New

3.5/174 deferred at Cornell today

Post by newbienew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Hey guys, you can see my stats and result in the subject. I'm disappointed to be deferred, though I wasn't really sure what to expect. Is this about par for the course with these numbers and Cornell?

Cornell is my top choice, so I'm also wondering what (if anything) I can do to bolster my admissions chances between now and when they make regular decisions. Should I send an additional "Why Cornell" essay? Should I write anything explaining my comparatively low GPA (which was better my soph-junior-senior years than freshman)?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

ClayDavis

New

Re: 3.5/174 deferred at Cornell today

Post by ClayDavis » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Aim higher

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:57 pm

ClayDavis wrote:Aim higher
This.

You can do better than Cornell, and they likely know this too.

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Well, I appreciate the positivity, but for personal reasons, Cornell is honestly where I want to go. I realize the advantages of attending a t6, but I want to be at Cornell. Would it benefit me to make that very clear to the admissions officers? I don't think I should really share my personal reasons (as they have to do with my personal life), but I could quite honestly tell the admissions office that Cornell is my top choice. Could this help me at all? Anything else I could do?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:03 pm

newbienew wrote:Well, I appreciate the positivity, but for personal reasons, Cornell is honestly where I want to go. I realize the advantages of attending a t6, but I want to be at Cornell. Would it benefit me to make that very clear to the admissions officers? I don't think I should really share my personal reasons (as they have to do with my personal life), but I could quite honestly tell the admissions office that Cornell is my top choice. Could this help me at all? Anything else I could do?
Submit an LOCI with this information.

They deferred because of the reason people above me have mentioned- they think/know you'll go to a higher-ranked school.

If Cornell is your number one choice you need to let them know that, stat, and tell them why!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:04 pm

Haha, but Cornell is my #1 choice for a reason related to loved ones, not academics. I assume I shouldn't tell them that?

ClayDavis

New

Post by ClayDavis » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:23 pm

I mean if you *have* to go to Cornell, at least apply throughout the t14, get scholarships, and use them to leverage $ from Cornell when you finally get in.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:30 pm

newbienew wrote:Haha, but Cornell is my #1 choice for a reason related to loved ones, not academics. I assume I shouldn't tell them that?
You can get the same academic experience anywhere in the t14 as you can from Cornell. What you can't get from them is whatever personal reason that makes you want to go to Cornell. Let them know that.

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:37 pm

I really appreciate everyone's advice, and I'm especially curious on this point. I had assumed it would make more sense to emphasize that which I like about the academics of Cornell, rather than my personal fondness for its location, especially since my personal reason has to do with the location of other people I love. I figured a reason like this would be dismissed or looked down upon. Am I wrong?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm not necessarily saying to do this, but....
i read in another thread that someone who got waitlisted called and asked why, what they did wrong. if they tell you... well, nothing, maybe you could express that you really want to attend their school and ask what you need to do to be given further consideration. So maybe call first and you can see what they really want from you instead of just assuming?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:41 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
newbienew wrote:Haha, but Cornell is my #1 choice for a reason related to loved ones, not academics. I assume I shouldn't tell them that?
You can get the same academic experience anywhere in the t14 as you can from Cornell. What you can't get from them is whatever personal reason that makes you want to go to Cornell. Let them know that.
This. Explain your situation to them. If you were YP'ed, it should get you in. If there was some red flag in your ap., maybe not. Do try to get some $ out of them if you come here, though.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:45 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
I agree with this. See Dean Zearfoss's response to writing a Why M essay because you like to have dinner with your family on Sundays: http://www.top-law-schools.com/sarah-ze ... rview.html (towards the middle/end of the page).

Edit: And DEF try for $$ at peer schools as leverage.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:46 pm

newbienew wrote:I really appreciate everyone's advice, and I'm especially curious on this point. I had assumed it would make more sense to emphasize that which I like about the academics of Cornell, rather than my personal fondness for its location, especially since my personal reason has to do with the location of other people I love. I figured a reason like this would be dismissed or looked down upon. Am I wrong?
They just want to know that you will attend if admitted, reasons don't matter so you can make anything up. All they care about is protecting their yield ratio.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks again, everyone. I'm already working on my LOCI. I'm surprised by everyone's optimism, as I thought my GPA was on the low side for Cornell. Hopefully you're all right, though, and my LOCI gets the job done. I had assumed the relatively low GPA + no softs did me in.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 pm

newbienew wrote:Thanks again, everyone. I'm already working on my LOCI. I'm surprised by everyone's optimism, as I thought my GPA was on the low side for Cornell. Hopefully you're all right, though, and my LOCI gets the job done. I had assumed the relatively low GPA + no softs did me in.
Good luck! I don't think your GPA will hurt you as you are only slightly below median with a LSAT way above the 75%

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
newbienew wrote:Thanks again, everyone. I'm already working on my LOCI. I'm surprised by everyone's optimism, as I thought my GPA was on the low side for Cornell. Hopefully you're all right, though, and my LOCI gets the job done. I had assumed the relatively low GPA + no softs did me in.
Good luck! I don't think your GPA will hurt you as you are only slightly below median with a LSAT way above the 75%
This. That LSAT will help carry you with the LOCI, I'd imagine. Good luck with your #1!

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Good luck man. I got Deferred to RD too with the similar numbers (.05 lower GPA). Was annoyed, but I hope I can get in somewhere higher (though I dont have a t10 acceptance in my pocket yet, so I'm mildly freaking out).

Write a LOCI and tell them why you want to be there. Hopefully it was just YP and you'll be at Cornell. Be sure to take everyone's advice and apply everywhere else to leverage $$.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

newbienew

New

Post by newbienew » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Thanks, everyone. We'll see, I guess...

On another note, does anyone know if this: "Your application will be considered again after our February 1st deadline for regular admission applications." part of the e-mail I received today is definitely true?

Is there really no chance I'll hear anything before February 1st? Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:55 pm

newbienew wrote:Thanks, everyone. We'll see, I guess...

On another note, does anyone know if this: "Your application will be considered again after our February 1st deadline for regular admission applications." part of the e-mail I received today is definitely true?

Is there really no chance I'll hear anything before February 1st? Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

I got in with that GPA and a 172. So do what everyone else said and you should be good.

akikaze

New

Post by akikaze » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Columbia would likely be very interested in a 174; I have a friend who graduated Princeton with a 3.4 and a 175 who was admitted (yes, admittedly Princeton), but in general Columbia is willing to sink pretty low to capture some very high LSATs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”