International applicants and different grade system Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
noctali7

New

International applicants and different grade system

Post by noctali7 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:48 am

Hi everyone.

I'm new here and I wanted to know how foreign applicants' grades and personal situations are , generally speaking, taken into account by law schools in the US.

I'm french and therefore currently studying in french universities. Over here, we do not have a gpa-like grade system but a range of marks on a 0-20 scale (0 being the lowest score and 20 the highest). Therefore, one might says that, for instance, 12/20 could be the equivalent of a 60% average grade, and then something like a 2.4 gpa.
However, if getting 60% in the US is kind of bad results, in France, on the contrary, 12/20 is already good job, when 14/20 and above is something merely unreachable (especially in law).

This is why I've been really worrying about the way I will be evaluated by law school committees since I decided to take the LSAT and apply to several law schools in the US (wish I could attend NYU or UT, even though they appear to be hardly accessible to me...)
Majoring next year in chinese studies, japanese studies, and in french/american-english law (double bachelor), and my average grade being 12/20 in each of those degrees, do you think that, considering those elements (majoring 4 degrees in a foreign country at the age of 21 with this average grade), I do or do not stand a chance to be admitted to a good US law school if I manage to get a high score (let's say above 165-170) at the LSAT exam next June ?

I've read so many articles and so many different comments on forums about studying law in the US, that I must say I'm quite lost now and don't really know what to think ... ^^

Sorry for bothering you all, but some froggy madly needs your help at the moment ...

Xnegd

Bronze

Re: International applicants and different grade system

Post by Xnegd » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:57 am

noctali7 wrote:Hi everyone.

I'm new here and I wanted to know how foreign applicants' grades and personal situations are , generally speaking, taken into account by law schools in the US.

I'm french and therefore currently studying in french universities. Over here, we do not have a gpa-like grade system but a range of marks on a 0-20 scale (0 being the lowest score and 20 the highest). Therefore, one might says that, for instance, 12/20 could be the equivalent of a 60% average grade, and then something like a 2.4 gpa.
However, if getting 60% in the US is kind of bad results, in France, on the contrary, 12/20 is already good job, when 14/20 and above is something merely unreachable (especially in law).

This is why I've been really worrying about the way I will be evaluated by law school committees since I decided to take the LSAT and apply to several law schools in the US (wish I could attend NYU or UT, even though they appear to be hardly accessible to me...)
Majoring next year in chinese studies, japanese studies, and in french/american-english law (double bachelor), and my average grade being 12/20 in each of those degrees, do you think that, considering those elements (majoring 4 degrees in a foreign country at the age of 21 with this average grade), I do or do not stand a chance to be admitted to a good US law school if I manage to get a high score (let's say above 165-170) at the LSAT exam next June ?

I've read so many articles and so many different comments on forums about studying law in the US, that I must say I'm quite lost now and don't really know what to think ... ^^

Sorry for bothering you all, but some froggy madly needs your help at the moment ...
Just tell the academics office to provide a GPA that you think is appropriate on a 4.0 scale when they send their results. My friend from Scotland had the same difficulty, so he just talked to the Transcripts office, and convinced them to give him a 3.7.

I'm have the same trouble now, having grown up in the US and now being immersed in the European grading system. I freaked out when I got a 70 and demanded to see the Professor, not realizing that was a first and what everything means here.

kazu

Gold

Re: International applicants and different grade system

Post by kazu » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:24 am

1) Your foreign GPA will be given a ranking from the following: Superior, Above Average, Average, and Below Average, by LSAC when you submit your transcripts to be processed. I'm not sure how french grades are processed, for UK ones generally a first means a Superior, 2:1 = Above average, etc. Your foreign GPA will not be given a numerical U.S. GPA equivalent.

2) Your LSAT score will be even more important for you, since you will not have a solid U.S. GPA for law schools to weigh. The rule of thumb for foreign applicants is to decide on reaches, targets etc. according to the median LSAT of that school - if your LSAT is at or higher than the median LSAT of that particular school, you have a solid chance at getting in.

Return to “What are my chances?”