3.12/158... username says it all. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
HeavenHelpMe

New

3.12/158... username says it all.

Post by HeavenHelpMe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:28 pm

OK... so I used to feel fairly confident that I had at least some chance at each of the schools I applied to (and believed to be an almost definate yes at others). However, since going on law school predictor, I'm having a slight panic attack.

As I said, 158 LSAT 3.12 GPA. As for outside the numbers: have worked in paid positions on several political campaigns... scholarship/D1 athlete for 2 years then medically retired... extensive work with disabled children and at-risk teens while assisting in research of the use of animals for therapy (horses in particular)... sorority member- held 2 positions... currently work in a law firm as well as coach varsity high school team... fluent in 2 languages, working on 3 and 4. As for my personal statement, I've had someone approach me about publishing it after getting their hands on it from my brother. So I'm guessing that means itl'll suit at least one admissions officer's taste out there. maybe... hopefully... we'll see... haha

Here are the schools I applied to:

U Tennessee (would qualify for in-state)
U Georgia (would qualify for in-state)
Florida State University
Syracuse University
Lewis & Clark
University of Denver
American
New York Law School

OK... so let me have it. Be brutally honest. However, if it's too brutal... throw some suggestions out there for schools I'd be better served applying to.

calilaw

Bronze

Re: 3.12/158... username says it all.

Post by calilaw » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:31 pm

You work in a law firm? Any chance you would have job prospects there upon graduating? If so, maybe go for a lower-ranked regional school with more scholarship money/less debt, with the primary focus on passing the bar?

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:36 pm

HeavenHelpMe wrote:OK... so I used to feel fairly confident that I had at least some chance at each of the schools I applied to (and believed to be an almost definate yes at others). However, since going on law school predictor, I'm having a slight panic attack.

As I said, 158 LSAT 3.12 GPA. As for outside the numbers: have worked in paid positions on several political campaigns...scholarship/D1 athlete for 2 years then medically retired... extensive work with disabled children and at-risk teens while assisting in research of the use of animals for therapy (horses in particular)... sorority member- held 2 positions...currently work in a law firm as well as coach varsity high school team... fluent in 2 languages, working on 3 and 4. As for my personal statement, I've had someone approach me about publishing it after getting their hands on it from my brother. So I'm guessing that means itl'll suit at least one admissions officer's taste out there. maybe... hopefully... we'll see... haha

Florida State University
Syracuse University
Lewis & Clark
University of Denver
American
New York Law School

OK... so let me have it. Be brutally honest. However, if it's too brutal... throw some suggestions out there for schools I'd be better served applying to.
Just curious, how would you qualify for in-state tuition in two different states? I ask because one of those is my home state.

Anyway, your school list is all over the place. You need to realize that all those schools are regional, so you'll more than likely (and you should plan on this) get a job in or near the region in which the school is located. So you need to pick an area and find more schools that fit your numbers' range.

I crossed out the things that will likely have no relevance during your cycle. You should think of yourself at a 3.12/158 with work experience and go from there. Unless your "softs" are tremendous, don't count on them giving you a huge boost. Play around with lawschoolpredictor.com and lawschoolnumbers.com to see where you have a shot once you hone in on a particular region (preferably one where you have ties, since the job prospects out of these schools aren't tremendous).

HeavenHelpMe

New

Post by HeavenHelpMe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Yes... I have several connections which could lead to quick jobs in the area once JD is in hand. I'm just not positive that this area is where I want to land. Hence University of Denver and Lewis & Clark. Thanks for the quick response!!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:40 pm

HeavenHelpMe wrote:OK... so I used to feel fairly confident that I had at least some chance at each of the schools I applied to (and believed to be an almost definate yes at others). However, since going on law school predictor, I'm having a slight panic attack.

As I said, 158 LSAT 3.12 GPA. As for outside the numbers: have worked in paid positions on several political campaigns... scholarship/D1 athlete for 2 years then medically retired... extensive work with disabled children and at-risk teens while assisting in research of the use of animals for therapy (horses in particular)... sorority member- held 2 positions... currently work in a law firm as well as coach varsity high school team... fluent in 2 languages, working on 3 and 4. As for my personal statement, I've had someone approach me about publishing it after getting their hands on it from my brother. So I'm guessing that means itl'll suit at least one admissions officer's taste out there. maybe... hopefully... we'll see... haha

Florida State University
Syracuse University
Lewis & Clark
University of Denver
American
New York Law School

Prob have a shot at Tenn. You can prob get into Syracuse and NYLS but they're not really worth going to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calilaw

Bronze

Post by calilaw » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:42 pm

HeavenHelpMe wrote:Yes... I have several connections which could lead to quick jobs in the area once JD is in hand. I'm just not positive that this area is where I want to land. Hence University of Denver and Lewis & Clark. Thanks for the quick response!!
I would stay in the area for your JD, make good use of your connections (which greatly improve your situation), and then consider moving out of the area after you have experience practicing law.

Just my opinion.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:44 pm

I would recommend putting in a lot of time/energy and retaking the LSAT. Hypothetically, if you raise your LSAT a few points, you could get some $$ at the schools you're targeting this cycle, plus open up opportunities at other, more reputable schools.

FYI, 75% of (useful) advice on here if you have a sub-160 LSAT is to retake.

HeavenHelpMe

New

Post by HeavenHelpMe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:46 pm

atresia wrote:

As I said, 158 LSAT 3.12 GPA. As for outside the numbers: have worked in paid positions on several political campaigns...scholarship/D1 athlete for 2 years then medically retired... extensive work with disabled children and at-risk teens while assisting in research of the use of animals for therapy (horses in particular)... sorority member- held 2 positions...currently work in a law firm as well as coach varsity high school team... fluent in 2 languages, working on 3 and 4. As for my personal statement, I've had someone approach me about publishing it after getting their hands on it from my brother. So I'm guessing that means itl'll suit at least one admissions officer's taste out there. maybe... hopefully... we'll see... haha

Florida State University
Syracuse University
Lewis & Clark
University of Denver
American
New York Law School

Just curious, how would you qualify for in-state tuition in two different states? I ask because one of those is my home state.

Anyway, your school list is all over the place. You need to realize that all those schools are regional, so you'll more than likely (and you should plan on this) get a job in or near the region in which the school is located. So you need to pick an area and find more schools that fit your numbers' range.

I crossed out the things that will likely have no relevance during your cycle. You should think of yourself at a 3.12/158 with work experience and go from there. Unless your "softs" are tremendous, don't count on them giving you a huge boost. Play around with lawschoolpredictor.com and lawschoolnumbers.com to see where you have a shot once you hone in on a particular region (preferably one where you have ties, since the job prospects out of these schools aren't tremendous).
haha... I live on the state line. it's kind of weird how it works... but it's legit. I looked into it. And yeah... I realize my schools look disorganized, but I had reasons for each one. I appreciate the advice... I'll try to have a heart to heart with myself about where I want to be in the country after law school.

HeavenHelpMe

New

Post by HeavenHelpMe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:47 pm

atresia wrote:I would recommend putting in a lot of time/energy and retaking the LSAT. Hypothetically, if you raise your LSAT a few points, you could get some $$ at the schools you're targeting this cycle, plus open up opportunities at other, more reputable schools.

FYI, 75% of (useful) advice on here if you have a sub-160 LSAT is to retake.
I agree... and ideally that would be what I would want to do. However, it's not possible for certain reasons. So, I pretty much just have to shoot with what I've got and hope to hit something.... even if what I'm shooting with is a sling shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HeavenHelpMe

New

Post by HeavenHelpMe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:49 pm

calilaw wrote:
HeavenHelpMe wrote:Yes... I have several connections which could lead to quick jobs in the area once JD is in hand. I'm just not positive that this area is where I want to land. Hence University of Denver and Lewis & Clark. Thanks for the quick response!!
I would stay in the area for your JD, make good use of your connections (which greatly improve your situation), and then consider moving out of the area after you have experience practicing law.

Just my opinion.

Fair opinion. You sound like my dad... score another one for the ole man I suppose. ha

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 pm

HeavenHelpMe wrote:
atresia wrote:

Florida State University
Syracuse University
Lewis & Clark
University of Denver
American
New York Law School

haha... I live on the state line. it's kind of weird how it works... but it's legit. I looked into it. And yeah... I realize my schools look disorganized, but I had reasons for each one. I appreciate the advice... I'll try to have a heart to heart with myself about where I want to be in the country after law school.
How bizarre.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:53 pm

HeavenHelpMe wrote:I agree... and ideally that would be what I would want to do. However, it's not possible for certain reasons. So, I pretty much just have to shoot with what I've got and hope to hit something.... even if what I'm shooting with is a sling shot.
I see this kind of frequently, but I'm never sure what makes it impossible for people to retake. I guess you're a little on the older side for an applicant (judging from your work experience), but it's almost always worth retaking if it's at all possible. Obviously, I don't know your personal circumstances, but, like I said, you can save yourself a lot of money and headaches down the road if you're able to get a scholarship instead of jumping in now paying sticker price. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but if you have to take out loans, the burden of debt, especially when trying to raise a family, pay a mortgage, etc. is terrible. Might as well eliminate those long-term problems if you get the chance, IMO.

HeavenHelpMe

New

Post by HeavenHelpMe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Taking into consideration the advice I've been given... I just sent in an applications to a few more local schools
Last edited by HeavenHelpMe on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:23 pm

R-R-R-R-R-R-R-RETAKE

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:50 pm

HeavenHelpMe wrote:scholarship/D1 athlete for 2 years then medically retired... .
I feel you on this one, life has been totally different since then.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 pm

U Iowa?

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Gatriel wrote:U Iowa?
Iowa's medians are 3.61/161 (http://www.top-law-schools.com/iowa-college-of-law.html). Seems unlikely that OP will be admitted as it stands.

Plus, who wants to work/live in Iowa?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:47 am

American, FSU, and UGA are out for sure.

Retake yo. 158/3.12 are not good stats to be working with in this economy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”