What is the percentage on Law School Predictor? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jdhakert

New

What is the percentage on Law School Predictor?

Post by jdhakert » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I know it says 'Percentage of Applicants at or Below', but if a school has 37% when my numbers are in, and the school only has ~20% URM students, does that mean that there are 17% of last years non-URM matriculants at or below my numbers? So good softs and a polished application will possibly get me an acceptance? Thanks guys!

jwrash

Bronze

Re: What is the percentage on Law School Predictor?

Post by jwrash » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Law School Predictor gives you the percentage of applicants at/below your numbers who were accepted. The number of URMs in the current student body at a particular school has nothing to do with the Law School Predictor figures. So, to answer both of your questions in a word...no.
Last edited by jwrash on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:13 pm

All that number means is, of applicants with your numbers or below, 37% were granted admission. So according to LSP, you have about a 1/3 chance, but don't take these stats too literally. LSP draws data from lawschoolnumbers.com. But the numbers on that site tend to be overly optimistic (who is more likely to post their results, the kid who did well and got in, or the kid who was borderline and didn't have a great cycle?). Just for perspective, I applied to 5 schools that had me between a 30% and 40% chance. I got into 1 of them. Everything below 30% was pretty much across the board rejections.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:28 pm

jdhakert wrote:I know it says 'Percentage of Applicants at or Below', but if a school has 37% when my numbers are in, and the school only has ~20% URM students, does that mean that there are 17% of last years non-URM matriculants at or below my numbers? So good softs and a polished application will possibly get me an acceptance? Thanks guys!
37% at or below your index is very different than at or below your numbers. Look to LSN to get an idea what the thresholds for LSAT and GPA are. If you see zero non-minority acceptances below LSAT XXX or gpa Y.YY then you can guess that there is threshold at that level.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”