175/3.0 (foreign) - where should I ED? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
piccolittle

Silver

175/3.0 (foreign) - where should I ED?

Post by piccolittle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:33 am

I have been agonizing over my Early Decision options, as my cycle looks to be really difficult to predict! Doing a conversion based on the LSAC evaluation, I would have a 3.0, but LSAC has rated my academic record as 'Above Average'. My dream was to attend Columbia, but I also love Virginia and would hate to miss out on it simply because I didn't apply ED. On LSN people with my numbers were all accepted at UVA ED, rejected at Columbia ED, and rejected RD at both schools. My pre-law advisor is pushing me to apply to the school I like better, regardless of my chances, as "they're both incredibly competitive schools and an incremental difference in rankings won't make a difference in your acceptance likelihood." LSN obviously says otherwise.

What do you all think- assuming prestige now as the only criterion, do I have a shot at any of the other top ten, and do you think I have a shot at UVA RD if I sent my ED to Columbia instead? Help!

LLB2JD

Silver

Re: 175/3.0 (foreign) - where should I ED?

Post by LLB2JD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:42 am

piccolittle wrote:I have been agonizing over my Early Decision options, as my cycle looks to be really difficult to predict! Doing a conversion based on the LSAC evaluation, I would have a 3.0, but LSAC has rated my academic record as 'Above Average'. My dream was to attend Columbia, but I also love Virginia and would hate to miss out on it simply because I didn't apply ED. On LSN people with my numbers were all accepted at UVA ED, rejected at Columbia ED, and rejected RD at both schools. My pre-law advisor is pushing me to apply to the school I like better, regardless of my chances, as "they're both incredibly competitive schools and an incremental difference in rankings won't make a difference in your acceptance likelihood." LSN obviously says otherwise.

What do you all think- assuming prestige now as the only criterion, do I have a shot at any of the other top ten, and do you think I have a shot at UVA RD if I sent my ED to Columbia instead? Help!

What conversion are you referring to? I thought all that counts is what LSAT translates your academic records into. If it is Above Average, you have very good chances at both.

P.S. How long did it take for LSAC to rate your academic records. They have received mine, but I'm still waiting for their analysis.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:53 am

At the bottom of their evaluation of each school's transcript, they list the school's approximate grade equivalency chart and their own. Going by my own school's translation guide, I would have like a 2.0 (I got a lower second), but according to LSAC's, which is more generous, I would have a 3.0 at best. *cry*

Oh, and if it helps for anyone who wants to chance me, I'm American but studied abroad.

ETA: It took about a month or so. I requested my transcripts back in August or September as I wanted to be prepared for ED.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:30 am

Bump?

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 am

If you have a foreign GPA, what matters is the rank LSAC gives you (Superior, Above Average, etc), not what GPA you have based on any manual conversion that you did. You do not have an LSAC GPA, which means that law schools don't report your "GPA" for statistical purposes, which means that much more emphasis will be put on your LSAT score. I think a 175/Above Average gives you very good shots at Columbia ED - I'd be very surprised if they rejected you.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:39 am

kazu wrote:You do not have an LSAC GPA, which means that law schools don't report your "GPA" for statistical purposes,
Yes this is credited. You're GPA is not reported for rankings purposes, so you're essentially an applicant with a median GPA and a 175 LSAT.

Thus, I'm not sure if EDing to UVA is such a great idea. You stand a pretty decent chance of getting in RD IMHO. Columbia, on the other hand wouldn't be as terrible an idea, although I'm not entirely sold on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”