What my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jdhakert

New

What my chances?

Post by jdhakert » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:18 am

3.36 GPA; 157 LSAT; Biochemistry major, good PS on how I want to do IP work; good softs

What are my chances at:

SMU
U of Houston
Wisconsin
Indiana
Miami
LSU
OleMiss

Thanks for your help.

jdhakert

New

Re: What my chances?

Post by jdhakert » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Can I just get one response... Please? Also take in account ED applications as well. Thank you.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:36 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:36 pm

One response: retake.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:52 pm

IP is good.. but I would still retake. No chance of getting a decent SA job unless you are top 1/3 from those schools even with your IP background.

I would try to get into GW/bu/bc.. then with your IP background you "should" be ok with median....

jdhakert

New

Post by jdhakert » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:52 pm

I thought about retaking it because I lost track of time the first section and didn't get to the last 9. I have already applied to schools, however. So I was thinking I may retake it in February if I haven't gotten any acceptances yet and then quickly forwarding my new score to schools. Is this a good idea or not? Please don't jump down my throat if I'm repeating something someone else has already posted or asking dumb questions. Thank you guys.

Cmoss

New

Post by Cmoss » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 pm

jdhakert wrote:I thought about retaking it because I lost track of time the first section and didn't get to the last 9.
this has to be a joke

jdhakert

New

Post by jdhakert » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:11 pm

No its not a joke its was reading comp and I was nervous, didn't look at my watch, and blew it. Good insight though man.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 pm

jdhakert wrote:I thought about retaking it because I lost track of time the first section and didn't get to the last 9. I have already applied to schools, however. So I was thinking I may retake it in February if I haven't gotten any acceptances yet and then quickly forwarding my new score to schools. Is this a good idea or not? Please don't jump down my throat if I'm repeating something someone else has already posted or asking dumb questions. Thank you guys.
Feb. retakes are generally not a great idea. Most of the acceptances have been given out and many times all the money is gone. If it doesn't go your way in Feb. though you can always just reapply next year.

jdhakert

New

Post by jdhakert » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 pm

When the proctor called 5 minutes, I had the whole last passage and half of the third one- just to clarify.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:20 pm

rad law wrote:Feb. retakes are generally not a great idea. Most of the acceptances have been given out and many times all the money is gone. If it doesn't go your way in Feb. though you can always just reapply next year.

Cmoss

New

Post by Cmoss » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:27 pm

beachbum wrote:
rad law wrote:Feb. retakes are generally not a great idea. Most of the acceptances have been given out and many times all the money is gone. If it doesn't go your way in Feb. though you can always just retake and reapply next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Also should be noted that if you want the benefits of IP during the jobsearch (re: where it's not as difficult to land an SA as normal biglaw, aka hard IP), I hope you have more than just the bachelors in biochem.

jdhakert

New

Post by jdhakert » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Okay, dumb question but... what is an "SA" job. Also, it seems to me that you only need an advanced science degree if your going to do patent prosecution, and I am more interested in the litigation aspect. Is this false?

law_noob

New

Post by law_noob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:18 pm

SA = Summer Associate

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:22 pm

rad law wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:retake.

Study. Retake.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:25 pm

jdhakert wrote:Okay, dumb question but... what is an "SA" job. Also, it seems to me that you only need an advanced science degree if your going to do patent prosecution, and I am more interested in the litigation aspect. Is this false?
No, I only brought it up because people on this board comment on the security of IP sometimes with regards to finding a job, and that IP bump applies more to patent prosecution than anything (because of the shortage of lawyers available that are qualified to do it*).

*Shortage in comparison to non IP-stuff, I suppose.

I would retake if I were you unless you are interested in staying very regional. As it stands I think you're going to have a lot of difficulty breaking into Top 50 (as in its damn near impossible). A strong regional T2 or T3 with a lot of $$ may be an okay bet.

jdhakert

New

Post by jdhakert » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Thank you guys for your comments. I'm just going to see how I sit for a while but will probably retake. One more question. What are the best cities for IP law? Excluding anywhere in California. Aren't Houston, Dallas, or Miami good for IP work?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:08 pm

jdhakert wrote:Thank you guys for your comments. I'm just going to see how I sit for a while but will probably retake. One more question. What are the best cities for IP law? Excluding anywhere in California. Aren't Houston, Dallas, or Miami good for IP work?
Cities don't matter. Schools do.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:07 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
jdhakert wrote:Thank you guys for your comments. I'm just going to see how I sit for a while but will probably retake. One more question. What are the best cities for IP law? Excluding anywhere in California. Aren't Houston, Dallas, or Miami good for IP work?
Cities matter for IP actually (in the same way that if you wanted to do big deal M&A you would want to be in NY), but I couldn't tell you what cities have a ton of shit going on right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:12 pm

rad law wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Cities matter for IP actually (in the same way that if you wanted to do big deal M&A you would want to be in NY), but I couldn't tell you what cities have a ton of shit going on right now.
Texas is good, major markets are good, Atlanta's good. Florida in general should be fine as well, ton of aerospace and other tech stuff is moving/has moved there. Not sure about Miami, I feel like most of it's concentrated in the northern part and middle of the state, but I could be wrong.

jdhakert

New

Post by jdhakert » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:11 am

Thank you guys so much. You all were very insightful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”