Employability Bump Theory Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Employability Bump Theory

Post by Remnantofisrael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Just starting dialog, figured this was the best place to start it.

I have a theory (it could be bunnies). With the current and future economy, and the ipso facto increased desire of students to getting into the law schools that lead to the best job prospectus, we are seeing and will continue to a see a shift upward in admissions for applicants with solid work experience.

Evidence- unfortunately, its all weak. Some examples of students with 170, 2.8gpas getting into UMich, etc. where those cases invariably contain quality WE and other employment potential benefits. Also, there is definitely renewed and increased interest in which school places how many students into big-law etc. Not that this is new, but its never been this important (at least not since this board was founded). If anyone has any direct evidence or even quotes, I'd be interested in this.

Implications - Could we start to see a shift in enrollment/acceptances? Specifically, those with lots of WE getting a huge bump because schools want to maximize their employment statistics? How far into the T-14 will this go? I would think that if, say, Michigan decided they wanted to move up that ladder of big-law employment statistics, it would be in their interest to enroll a good chunk of folks they figure will finish in the middle of their class but that don't break their statistics (so splitters) who have quality WE. The balance of this would be that a number of higher quality candidates without good WE would find themselves at lesser schools. Also, it would be in the best interest of people with scores that historically are just under the acceptance line for schools to go ahead and apply anyway. I'm suggesting this only effects the lower T-14, but still, getting into Michigan instead of WUSTL is likely worth the app cost.

Counter - How many people are really applying to the T-14 who have really solid WE- so much so that at, say, just below median they would still get hired to a big-law firm over someone at an equal school just above median? Because if the number is insignificant, it isn't likely to provide enough benefit for a school to change their tactic.

Anyway, I figure the theory will get shut right down, but I'm interested in the opinions of everyone, thoughtful people (anyone who agrees with me) and assholes (anyone who disagrees with me) alike.

clintonius

Silver

Re: Employability Bump Theory

Post by clintonius » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:06 pm

We got a theory, see, we got a theory

about magic.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Northwestern seems to agree with you, and their relative jump in placement over the last few years is hard to argue with.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:18 pm

beachbum wrote:Northwestern seems to agree with you, and their relative jump in placement over the last few years is hard to argue with.
But do you think this will effect other schools who would love to move up for the next USNWR release? Like Michigan, Penn, Duke, or even as high as NYU?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
beachbum wrote:Northwestern seems to agree with you, and their relative jump in placement over the last few years is hard to argue with.
But do you think this will effect other schools who would love to move up for the next USNWR release? Like Michigan, Penn, Duke, or even as high as NYU?
Hopefully not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
Schools are always looking to one-up each other. I'm surprised as it is that MVP have mostly sat on their laurels as Northwestern has climbed in placement, but that's the way it's been. I would've expected the most drastic changes to take place during the worst of the economy, but I could definitely see more of an emphasis on WE in the future.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 pm

clintonius wrote:We got a theory, see, we got a theory

about magic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”