Black Male, 144 LSAT, 3.8 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
thatlawguy

New

Black Male, 144 LSAT, 3.8 GPA

Post by thatlawguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:19 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to get some advice from the people who have been through the process before. As you can see from above, the Oct LSAT was not too kind to me. Anyway, its over now so I need to move on.

I'm a Black male with 5 years of corporate finance work experience at a Fortune 100 company. I also have a Masters degree and solid softs. I plan to submit a LSAT addendum, my SAT was 910 but undergrad gpa 3.8, diversity statement and a "Why X" statement for each school I apply to. I don't really want to re-take the LSAT again but realize my options are extremely limited and may have no other choice. Here are my questions:

1) What schools has anyone been accepted to with a similar profile?
2) Do I have a shot at being accepted into Howard?
3) Will my LSAT addendum and high gpa offset my LSAT score enough to apply to any T2's?

Really appreciate any advice.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: Black Male, 144 LSAT, 3.8 GPA

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:23 pm

thatlawguy wrote:Hello,

Just wanted to get some advice from the people who have been through the process before. As you can see from above, the Oct LSAT was not too kind to me. Anyway, its over now so I need to move on.

I'm a Black male with 5 years of corporate finance work experience at a Fortune 100 company. I also have a Masters degree and solid softs. I plan to submit a LSAT addendum, my SAT was 910 but undergrad gpa 3.8, diversity statement and a "Why X" statement for each school I apply to. I don't really want to re-take the LSAT again but realize my options are extremely limited and may have no other choice. Here are my questions:

1) What schools has anyone been accepted to with a similar profile?
2) Do I have a shot at being accepted into Howard?
3) Will my LSAT addendum and high gpa offset my LSAT score enough to apply to any T2's?

Really appreciate any advice.
1. T3/T4 at best.
2. Perhaps
3. No.

Retake. Don't waste your GPA and URM status. Like you, I do well in class but struggle with standardized tests. But you really do need to retake.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 pm

Seriously. If you're willing to work hard enough to get a 3.8 gpa, you can dedicate 3 months to studying for the test and getting it up to 160 range. Once you do that, as a URM, your options will be huge. The difference between those two scores could save you $100k. Worth three months work.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:31 pm

Study and Retake.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:35 pm

You should retake, but with the addendum and work experience, I'm sure a t1 school will take a chance. I recall seeing someone with similar numbers on LSN who got a sizable scholarship at Wisconsin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:36 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:You should retake, but with the addendum and work experience, I'm sure a t1 school will take a chance. I recall seeing someone with similar numbers on LSN who got a sizable scholarship at Wisconsin.
If the "Wisconsin" doesn't scare you off, nothing will.

thatlawguy

New

Post by thatlawguy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:51 am

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I studied for the LSAT for about 6 months. I took a prep class as well and studied on my own after. My diagnostics ranged from 147- 151. I really hate putting off school for another year especially because I'm not sure how much my score will really increase. But I guess I have to do it. Thanks.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:56 am

How?? did you study?
Bibles?
go over wrong answers?
how many questions are you missing in which sections.

thatlawguy

New

Post by thatlawguy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:06 am

I read all 3 bibles and reviewed all my wrong answers (believe it or not). My missed questions are in LR and LG. I usually do alright on RC. Basically, I'm having trouble with time (on LR) and only get to about 18 questions and usually have to guess on the rest. For LG, time is also an issue and I usually only get to complete 2 games.

To be quite honest, I feel like I studied pretty hard and am really debating whether or not to wait another yr for school. I'm just not sure how much I'm really going to increase my score. If I do study again, I plan to take about 30 practice tests.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:23 am

thatlawguy wrote:I read all 3 bibles and reviewed all my wrong answers (believe it or not). My missed questions are in LR and LG. I usually do alright on RC. Basically, I'm having trouble with time (on LR) and only get to about 18 questions and usually have to guess on the rest. For LG, time is also an issue and I usually only get to complete 2 games.

To be quite honest, I feel like I studied pretty hard and am really debating whether or not to wait another yr for school. I'm just not sure how much I'm really going to increase my score. If I do study again, I plan to take about 30 practice tests.
yeah, please do this. How many did you take last time?
also REA practice makes perfect logic games is pretty good I went through it twice and stopped missing questions completely. It also has 7-8 questions per section so if you try to do these fast the actual test will seem a lot easier.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:30 am

DieAntwoord wrote:
thatlawguy wrote:I read all 3 bibles and reviewed all my wrong answers (believe it or not). My missed questions are in LR and LG. I usually do alright on RC. Basically, I'm having trouble with time (on LR) and only get to about 18 questions and usually have to guess on the rest. For LG, time is also an issue and I usually only get to complete 2 games.

yeah, please do this. How many did you take last time?
also REA practice makes perfect logic games is pretty good I went through it twice and stopped missing questions completely. It also has 7-8 questions per section so if you try to do these fast the actual test will seem a lot easier.
I've read some bad reviews on the REA Practice Makes Perfect, mostly dealing with incorrect answers and having LG that were never administered on an actual LSAT.

OP, please retake. You must. How many practice tests did you take under similar conditions before test date? What prep course did you use?

I think the fact that you are only able to complete half of LG and 18 LR questions means that you were not practicing enough as you should. I'm also working full-time and I know how difficult it can be to make time to study for this exam but you seriously need to eat, live and sleep LSATs. I'm talking about dedicating a couple of nights and your weekends/holidays to LSAT study, especially if you have many weaknesses.

I'll PM you with some info I've found to be helpful for those working full-time and studying for this exam.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”