3.9(3.7 Grad), 170...Not sure what school(s) meet my goals Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pereira6

Silver

3.9(3.7 Grad), 170...Not sure what school(s) meet my goals

Post by pereira6 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:42 am

Hey TLS,

(Sort of) Quick rundown so you all can get a complete accurate idea of who I am and what I'd like to do.

Received a 170 on the LSAT, this matched my top PT, so I'm definitely taking it. No retake.

My GPA is a little confusing I think. I am pursuing a joint B.A./M.A. in Economics (same idea as a J.D./M.B.A.). My undergrad GPA (from a good public school in the Northeast) is a 3.9, while the grad GPA is a 3.7. The undergrad, because of the joint degree, is somewhat cut short, therefore I think they're going to look more closely at my grad GPA. I took 3 CC classes in high school that I didn't care as much about, got a 3.4 in those classes, so my combined GPA is a 3.85.

Edit: The Grad classes LSAC includes in my total GPA. So I have a 3.9, a 3.85 if the crappy HS courses are included.

My goal: work in professional or big-time collegiate sports as a lawyer, business analyst, league commissioner (someday!), whatever. From the research I have done, it looks like the best (and probably only) way to almost guarantee myself into this type of work is to get into BigLaw, and transition laterally after a few years.

I will be graduating with my B.A./M.A. when I am 20 years old. I'm not sure what that counts for in the TLS community's view or law school's admissions, either good or bad.

I will have a decent PS, as it will be as good as it can be with influential writing skills and very, very limited experience (I do not save HIV babies every Tuesday during my lunch break, and, at 20 years old, I do not have any super-relevant work experience or personal struggles with my upbringing).

I like to think I have 2, absolutely killer LORs.

Okay, lets get down to business.

The 170 makes me ecstatic. Makes me think I have a good shot at getting into Columbia or NYU and getting the best opportunities at NYC BigLaw. I probably would be paying sticker at these schools. Do I have a good shot at regular decision? If I ED, do I increase my chances dramatically? If I ED to one of these schools, is it worth the money?

Other than that, the main question is, what schools will give me the best shot at meeting my goals with an acceptable amount of debt? Obviously Columbia and NYU help, but what are the other schools outside of NYC that help me both with the goal of getting to BigLaw and/or landing a scholarship?

I have no misconceptions about the current legal market either, so if a slightly cheaper alternative is what you all think I should go for, I will not hesitate to agree.

Yeah, I know it was wordy, but so many times I see people with incomplete descriptions of what they want out of law school and I thought I would give you all a complete view so you can help me!

kalvano

Diamond

Re: 3.9(3.7 Grad), 170...Not sure what school(s) meet my goals

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:47 pm

You could easily have shortened it:

3.85 / 170 - best chances for scholarship?

Blanket the T14 and see who bites. Go from there.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:25 pm

kalvano wrote:You could easily have shortened it:

3.85 / 170 - best chances for scholarship?

Blanket the T14 and see who bites. Go from there.
I didn't read the whole post, but if this summary is accurate, do this.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Thanks for the input...I see so many TLS vets get annoyed when there are details left out from people who are asking for help when the details are necessary. I'm also (obviously) new to this so I didn't know how to shorten this.

My main problem is that NYC is THE prime area where I want to work based on my career goals (professional sports). So we're basically talking about EDing and paying sticker at NYU/Columbia (such, such expensive cost of living for a relatively poor upstate New Yorker like myself) to make sure I'm giving myself the best career opportunities, or taking some scholly at a little bit lesser quality school that's outside of the market I want.

Any thoughts would be really great, thanks again!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:56 pm

From what I understand Cornell has decent placement in NYC Big Law. I think they are also somewhat likely to throw money your way.

I also have read that those applying to law school very young (under 22) can face tougher scrutiny from ad comms who are concerned they're not ready for law school. I'm not completely sure what the logic is for this, if the undergrad (and in your case, grad) record looks good - it may be a concern about emotional maturity. I have read a thread or two on TLS where it appeared to have a significant negative impact on applicants' cycles. You sound pretty mature, and I would try to make that stand out in your apps. Another option would be to take a year off and get a little work experience, which would alleviate the concern, I think.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:From what I understand Cornell has decent placement in NYC Big Law. I think they are also somewhat likely to throw money your way.

I also have read that those applying to law school very young (under 22) can face tougher scrutiny from ad comms who are concerned they're not ready for law school. I'm not completely sure what the logic is for this, if the undergrad (and in your case, grad) record looks good - it may be a concern about emotional maturity. I have read a thread or two on TLS where it appeared to have a significant negative impact on applicants' cycles. You sound pretty mature, and I would try to make that stand out in your apps. Another option would be to take a year off and get a little work experience, which would alleviate the concern, I think.
Cornell is an obvious apply for most people in my situation, but I'm very familiar with the school and the area and its a turnoff for me. I'm more of a big-school, big-time atmosphere guy. The college town of Ithaca...eh.

The age thing worries me, big time. I'm trying to spin in my PS that I finished a B.A./M.A. in three years because I'm driven, mature, and focused/organized. This is because I have known forever that I want to go to law school and work in sports. I appreciate your taking notice of that!

Getting work experience is really out of the question though. I'm going to school straight through for sure. :)

Thanks! Anyone else have thoughts? Specifically on EDing to Columbia or NYU?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”