URM chances at HYS? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ramses

New

URM chances at HYS?

Post by ramses » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:04 am

Hey guys - first post, but been lurking for a bit. Just wondering what you guys think my chances are, specifically Stanford (my dream), and if my w/e will hold much weight for me in LS admissions. Not sure if I trust lawschoolpredictor a whole lot for my situation. BTW, I'm applying NEXT cycle and will apply early as possible.

GPA-3.68 (major matter? school matter?)
LSAT(1 take)-170
URM-Mex/PR
W/E-4 years; Army Reserve Officer w/ deployment; Entrepreneur that founded a social enterprise and a non-profit based in Latin America.
Other softs: several volunteering/community service activities in and out of college, great LORs, clubs w/ leadership in college, etc etc.

Some questions I had:
- will w/e or urm status allow me to overcome a weak GPA for HYS?
-will great LORs from co-founders of my social enterprise or other organizations we have worked with be relevant and/or useful?
-looking into Public Interest law and am wondering about getting a dual-degree w/ MPP. Any thoughts on its usefulness or its admission's selectivity relative to it's JD counterpart?
-wondering if i'm safe at NYU for RD, and what schools I might expect to get some $

Just some basic inquiries, but I thank you guys in advance for what ever insight you can lend.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: URM chances at HYS?

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 am

I think you have a shot at all of the above. Apply.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 am

It seems that URM is more likely to help with a weak LSAT than a weak GPA. Anecdotal evidence: AA friend with 3.9/163 was recently accepted to H.

That being said, a cursory search of LSN shows URMs with similar GPA/weaker LSAT accepted to HLS last year. You have above-average softs and should have a good shot. Best of luck.

ramses

New

Post by ramses » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks for the insight - definitely makes me a bit more optimistic. It seems that those w/ worse #'s that got in to HYS are AA URM and may get a higher boost in general than Mex/PR URMs- not sure if that should be a concern for me. The fact that boosts normally help weak LSATs as opposed to GPAs definitely concerns me, especially for Stanford which I've *heard* gives Mex/PR less of a boost than peer schools in general. Any body have any validation or refutation of this? Is Stanford pretty much just a crapshoot for everyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”