3.5/172 - Worth Columbia application fee? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dclaw2011

New

3.5/172 - Worth Columbia application fee?

Post by dclaw2011 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Stats: 3.5 , 172 , 5 years of WE in related field

I want to go to Chicago above all else (app already in). Have fee waivers for everyone else in the T4-T14 except Columbia, Georgetown and Cornell. I will be sending in an application to Georgetown at sticker price because I feel like I have a reasonable shot and already live in DC. Cornell is off the list since I don't really want to live in Ithaca and NYC is not a market I am dead set on (not ruling it out though).

Is there some chance that I get rejected by Chicago, but somehow get into Columbia? I think I would probably take Columbia automatically over every school below MVPB, but I just don't know if its worth $92 when I am not super thrilled about NYC and would really rather go to Chicago.

Anyone want to comment on the likelihood that the above plays out and I get Columbia but not Chicago?

bk1

Diamond

Re: 3.5/172 - Worth Columbia application fee?

Post by bk1 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:48 pm

I'd say it's worth the app fee. I would definitely take it over MVPB even if I hated NYC. Yes you could get rejected/WL'ed by Chicago and get WL/accepted by CLS.

dclaw2011

New

Post by dclaw2011 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:34 pm

bk187 wrote:I'd say it's worth the app fee. I would definitely take it over MVPB even if I hated NYC. Yes you could get rejected/WL'ed by Chicago and get WL/accepted by CLS.
When I look at LSN it seems like you needed a 3.5 174+ or a 3.6+ 172 to get into Columbia RD. I have a 3.64 degree GPA (some courses I took in HS dragged me down to 3.5), but it doesn't look very promising. I am really questioning the point of it using those figures.

Anyone have any thoughts on how representative LSN is for Columbia? If its a legit sample (or even a biasedc sample toward stellar applicants), I am inclined not to apply.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:00 pm

Yes, it's worth $92.

hoopsguy6

Bronze

Post by hoopsguy6 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:02 pm

It's a reach, but definitely worth an app fee. $92 is a small price to pay considering how much you'll be spending over the next three years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Selfishly, I'd advise you not to, since I'll be another of those very borderline Columbia apps (3.7, 171), but I think you should. From what I understand, with stats like yours and mine the chances of getting into one of CCN and getting rejected by the other two are considerable. It can come down to softs, and which ad comm happens to be swayed by the softs while the others are left unmoved. This may be especially true with your work experience.

I can't speak to the accuracy of LSN numbers, but I certainly take it as a guide rather than an oracle.

Good luck.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:19 am

the fee is nothing in the long run... hedge your bet with chicago/take a chance.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:31 am

capitalacq wrote:the fee is nothing in the long run... hedge your bet with chicago/take a chance.
And throw an ED to Chicago. Done. Also, I was just visiting Columbia last week. I also like Chicago more than NYC, but I can tell you that the neighborhood CLS is in does not differentiate much from Chicago... very peaceful, gorgeous campus.

As far as your chances go, it really depends on your WE in this case and whether or not it could overcome the GPA. CLS seems to have a GPA floor of 3.7 with a 172 (I have about the same numbers as you so trust me when I say: I've looked into this).

It's just 100 dollars for a 30% shot (at the least) of going to an arguably better school. Why not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”