3.4 Grad GPA/LSAT Pending/147 June Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bnaidu

New

3.4 Grad GPA/LSAT Pending/147 June

Post by bnaidu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:20 am

First time poster, long-time viewer.

So I took the June LSAT, after taking Testmasters, and only received a 147 score. During the test, my anxiety was high, I wasn't focused and screwed the pooch on LR. I just took the October LSAT and feel much better about my performance. Prior to this test I was scoring low 160s. LG have always been my strong point, but I felt for focused and relaxed on LR and RC. So here's my question:

Below is the list of schools I am applying to upon receiving LSAT scores. I graduated with a Masters in Economics (3.4 GPA) from the U of Utah in August, and have a BS in Econ with a 3.0 GPA from the U of U. There is always the possibility that I may score another 147 or in the 150-159 range. Suppose I get a 155, will my Masters degree and GPA be weighted a little heavier since I am not an undergrad and improve consideration? Basically, does my likelihood improve with a graduate degree rather than just an undergrad?

I am looking to apply to the following schools:
Georgia State
Seattle U
UC Hastings
U San Diego
U Utah
U Washington
U Miami
New England Law
DePaul

The schools I am applying to (but are probably unlikely to admit, but I gotta try anyway):
Boston College
U Boston
USC
UC Davis
Emory (my dream school)

Thanks!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: 3.4 Grad GPA/LSAT Pending/147 June

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:22 am

bnaidu wrote: Suppose I get a 155, will my Masters degree and GPA be weighted a little heavier since I am not an undergrad and improve consideration? Basically, does my likelihood improve with a graduate degree rather than just an undergrad?
Your undergrad GPA is the one that counts. Your grad degree is a soft, as is any GPA associated with it.

bnaidu

New

Post by bnaidu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:34 am

Seriously? Law schools won't take into account that a student has proven that they can already excel in a graduate environment (i.e., meet minimum GPA reqs, successful creation and defense of a Thesis) and that they already have attained an advanced degree in a relevant pre-law subject?

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:39 am

bnaidu wrote:Seriously? Law schools won't take into account that a student has proven that they can already excel in a graduate environment (i.e., meet minimum GPA reqs, successful creation and defense of a Thesis) and that they already have attained an advanced degree in a relevant pre-law subject?
They will take it into account, but considerably less so than your LSAC GPA and LSAT.

bnaidu

New

Post by bnaidu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:47 am

Grr....ok well onto plan B: sacrifice of 3 bulls and prayer to the gods for a freak 179 score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tajik

New

Post by Tajik » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:40 pm

I am in a similar situation. Good Luck!

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:54 pm

You seem like a smart dude, I would personally cancel my score if you feel that sub 160 is in play. I know that can be difficult to consider, but if you retake in December it gives you two more months to study. You can maybe take a couple of prep tests in an environment that is close to an LSAT in order to get a handle on your stress.

The way I kind of view it is that you definitely want to go to one of the schools you consider a reach. You're only going to go law school once, you might as well take the extra two months to keep studying and give yourself the best chance to get into those schools. Currently your scenario is: Take the LSAT score with a high probability that you got a mid 150 with the knowledge that you KNOW it more than likely won't get you into the schools you want. You could of course take the second option: retake the test, attempt to get your stress under control, and study more for two months with the chance of hitting high 60s-low 70s. You might be at the end of the admission cycle, but that will be largely negated by the fact that you are putting yourself in a position to succeed as opposed to a position in which you're depending on luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”