Shot at U San Fran Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nickbentley

Bronze

Shot at U San Fran

Post by nickbentley » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:39 pm

4 years work exp.

No urm

im_blue

Gold

Re: Shot at U San Fran

Post by im_blue » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:17 am

You're at their median LSAT but < 25th percentile GPA, so you have a shot but not a great one.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:20 am

i wouldnt pay the money to go there unless your parents are paying your way. i go to Hastings and have good grades. SF is a brutal brutal market

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:44 am

Really? Is it that brutal that most firms only draw from Hastings?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:54 am

nickbentley wrote:Really? Is it that brutal that most firms only draw from Hastings?
lol most firms draw from better schools then hastings, but San Francisco is lower on the pecking order than Hastings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
nickbentley wrote:Really? Is it that brutal that most firms only draw from Hastings?
lol most firms draw from better schools then hastings, but San Francisco is lower on the pecking order than Hastings.
So it will be harder to land the first job, then after that, it is about experience right?

I want to work in SF, but I do not have the numbers for hastings

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:06 pm

nickbentley wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
So it will be harder to land the first job, then after that, it is about experience right?

Honestly, search around this site, the legal profession is maybe the most prestige-whoreish profession there is. And SF is one of the hardest markets to break into. The likelihood of getting a good job out of SF is very small. And the likelihood of landing a legal job at all is not that great. And once you miss that boat it's a lot harder to get in later. Schools like San Francisco are full of grads who never actually end up work in the legal profession because they can find better paying jobs in whatever they were doing before law school. And by better paying I mean 60k.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:47 pm

nickbentley wrote:So it will be harder to land the first job, then after that, it is about experience right?

How do you get experience if you don't land a first job?

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:55 pm

bk187 wrote:
nickbentley wrote:So it will be harder to land the first job, then after that, it is about experience right?

just because it is harder to get the first job doesn't mean it will be impossible. Plus, even if a person graduated and took a lower paying job for a few years, couldn't they then go work for a bigger law firm for more money?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:12 pm

nickbentley wrote:
bk187 wrote:

just because it is harder to get the first job doesn't mean it will be impossible. Plus, even if a person graduated and took a lower paying job for a few years, couldn't they then go work for a bigger law firm for more money?
Bro, students from BERKELEY are having a hard time getting jobs.

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:39 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
nickbentley wrote:
bk187 wrote:

Bro, students from BERKELEY are having a hard time getting jobs.

I don't expect a rapid economy turn around, but were talking about four years from now..

If things are this bad in four years, we have some major problems and I'll hit the JAG program

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:41 pm

nickbentley wrote:I don't expect a rapid economy turn around, but were talking about four years from now..

If things are this bad in four years, we have some major problems and I'll hit the JAG program
Interviewing for a summer position starts your second year.

JAG is very competitive. Don't think for even a second that there any positions ITE that are really easy to fallback into.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:44 pm

nickbentley wrote:If things are this bad in four years, we have some major problems and I'll hit the JAG program
LOL ok, flame. You def had me for a second though

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:49 pm

NickB is either a magnificent flame or colossally misguided. If you happen to be the latter, lemme break it down for you: DO NOT GO TO USanFran. THERE IS A 90%+ chance that you will be unemployed or severely underemployed. If you don't have the ability and tenacity to retake the LSAT and score better than a 159, you do not have the ability/tenacity to do well enough at USF to get a job, let alone a "good" one. Sorry for the candor, but you need to hear it (if you're not a flame).

If you're a flame, that's 45 seconds of my life I'll never get back. Well played.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Yeah that's what I meant. I suspect it wasn't always this way, but SF is getting swarmed by east coast T14 students, in addition to the Berkeley and Stanford students already here. If you read the OCI threads there are top 1/3 T14 students who are getting totally shut out of the SF market.

I think USF might be a decent option, but only if you have some kind of legal connections that will guarantee you a job, or if you can keep your debt below 75k or so. And you must be prepared for small firm work...big firm work will almost certainly not be an option.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Let me put it this way. Career services at Hastings told us there are only 1000-1300 new attorney positions in SF per year. There are ~400 Hastings grads per year and I can assure you that 80%+ of them want to work in SF. Most of them will be shut out. Now figure that 1/3 of Davis, Berkeley, and Stanford students are going to work in SF - thats another ~250 or so. Now factor in the legions of east coast T14 students who want to work in SF...

lets just say that SF firms can EASILY fill their ranks without resorting to USF, Santa Clara, Golden Gate (or even Hastings for that matter)...without connections or exceptional grades (top 5% or so) you will be toast.

Btw my small firm in Oakland was flooded with T14/Hastings/top USF, etc. unemployed grads who were willing to work for $20 per hour. If I were you, I'd choose another market or another career path.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:07 pm

MrKappus wrote:If you're a flame, that's 45 seconds of my life I'll never get back. Well played.
This is how I feel about responding to flames/trolls. They do deserve their props.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Because you are so impressed by my flame, I was really considering leaving it at that.

However, fact is that I was being serious. See, I have never looked much at the JAG program. I figured that since it is an Army program, that it is something you can practically walk into (recruiters, etc.)

Apparently I was misguided on that fact.

However, I keep hearing, "Don't go to "school x" unless you want to work in public interest."

What would be so bad about going to USF, working in public interest and having loans paid off by loan forgiveness programs? It seems like it would be a great way to get real legal experience (I want to work as a defender) and have loans paid off.

Are the job opportunities in public interest very hard to come by as well? What am I missing?

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 pm

nickbentley wrote:Because you are so impressed by my flame, I was really considering leaving it at that.

However, fact is that I was being serious. See, I have never looked much at the JAG program. I figured that since it is an Army program, that it is something you can practically walk into (recruiters, etc.)

However, I keep hearing, "Don't go to "school x" unless you want to work in public interest."

What would be so bad about going to USF, working in public interest and having loans paid off by loan forgiveness programs? It seems like it would be a great way to get real legal experience (I want to work as a defender) and have loans paid off.

Are the job opportunities in public interest very hard to come by as well? What am I missing?
What is your WE?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:55 pm

nickbentley wrote:Because you are so impressed by my flame, I was really considering leaving it at that.

PI jobs are also very hard to get. Do you think SF has the money to hire, in this economy?

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:07 pm

lawschoollll wrote:

What is your WE?
Nothing legal related. I work at an insurance agency, in sales.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nickbentley

Bronze

Post by nickbentley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:08 pm

rad law wrote:

PI jobs are also very hard to get. Do you think SF has the money to hire, in this economy?

Perhaps not, but when did the government start doing only things they have money for?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:11 pm

nickbentley wrote:
rad law wrote:

Perhaps not, but when did the government start doing only things they have money for?
Fair point since the California government has no money for anything. But they are trying to keep it small enough so the rest of the country doesn't cut our losses and blow california out to sea.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:12 pm

What about me 3.25/157?

I am retaking next week.

I was waitlisted/rejected last cycle with a 3.25 and a 154.

There are a lot of attornies and judges that came from USF. It will take you to big law, but only if you are cumma, or magma.

I am retaking to shoot for hastings, santa clara, or davis.

I think you have a good shot at admission... I had a friend get in with a 3.0/157.

It is very hard to judge from predictors, or Law School Numbers.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:15 pm

jarofsoup wrote:It will take you to big law, but only if you are cumma, or magma.
Biglaw hates molten rock dude. ITE you're fucked even if you're magma.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”