3.76 / 173 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ahduth

Gold

3.76 / 173

Post by ahduth » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:38 am

Alright, I'll jump in here. Just got my LSDAS academic summary report. The GPA is NYU liberal arts college undergrad (literature major).

I'll have one academic, one professional rec, both of whom know me very well, although I'm a few years removed from having worked with either of them. Had an hour long plus phone conversation with each them, I'm sending them the various details of what law schools are looking for and all that good stuff. They'll both be great.

The big thing is my work experience over the past 10 years isn't stellar. It's not terrible, but there are gaps, and it's not like I was working as an investment banker or union organizer or something. Just doing corporate finance and consulting work basically.

How much does the resume count for in a situation like this? Obviously much more than someone coming straight out of college... I'm just concerned because I feel like it's the weakest part of my application.

Also, is anyone bothering to do these computer evaluation things? They just seem kind of pointless - who's not going to have their evaluators give them the highest marks across the board?

At any rate I'm hoping I have a shot at NYU or Berkeley maybe... I'm not sure how to read these numbers, because I've been out of school for so long. Any thoughts?

Older Chest

Bronze

Re: 3.76 / 173

Post by Older Chest » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:47 am

ahduth wrote:Alright, I'll jump in here. Just got my LSDAS academic summary report. The GPA is NYU liberal arts college undergrad (literature major).

I'll have one academic, one professional rec, both of whom know me very well, although I'm a few years removed from having worked with either of them. Had an hour long plus phone conversation with each them, I'm sending them the various details of what law schools are looking for and all that good stuff. They'll both be great.

The big thing is my work experience over the past 10 years isn't stellar. It's not terrible, but there are gaps, and it's not like I was working as an investment banker or union organizer or something. Just doing corporate finance and consulting work basically.

How much does the resume count for in a situation like this? Obviously much more than someone coming straight out of college... I'm just concerned because I feel like it's the weakest part of my application.

Also, is anyone bothering to do these computer evaluation things? They just seem kind of pointless - who's not going to have their evaluators give them the highest marks across the board?

At any rate I'm hoping I have a shot at NYU or Berkeley maybe... I'm not sure how to read these numbers, because I've been out of school for so long. Any thoughts?
With your numbers, you definitely have a shot at NYU and Berkeley. The resume is less important than your LSAT, GPA, and personal statement. Also, I don't think the evaluations are going to play a big part in this year's cycle, mainly because they are new and I don't think any T14 requires it.

Check out http://nyu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
and http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

captainculpepper

New

Re: 3.76 / 173

Post by captainculpepper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:48 am

Plug your numbers and you'll see you have a lot of good options including NYU.

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Return to “What are my chances?”