High LSAT, Low GPA due to illness Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
daniele88

New

High LSAT, Low GPA due to illness

Post by daniele88 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 am

Hey everyone, thanks for reading. I have a 2.69 GPA. Yikes, right? I suffer with a blood disorder which causes me to be in and out the hospital often, which in turn has affected my GPA. I graduated in the Spring, but thanks to a new regimen of medication I've been taking, I haven't been sick in months, and my hematologist says that my blood work is back to the normal level it was when I was in high school, and that he would be shocked if I got seriously ill again. This June I scored a 177 on my LSAT. While I don't plan on applying to Harvard or anything, I was wondering what my chances are at getting into a fairly good school, given my situation. I have good letters of recommendation and a good essay, I was just wondering what schools I should logically be looking at.

Thanks!

Diamond

Re: High LSAT, Low GPA due to illness

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:12 am

Minnesota/WUSTL/Illinois/Iowa/Indiana

If you can get two years of work experience you have a shot at Northwestern if you apply ED.

You can do the waterman maneuver, apply ED at GULC, then switch to part time.

daniele88

New

Post by daniele88 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:Minnesota/WUSTL/Illinois/Iowa/Indiana

If you can get two years of work experience you have a shot at Northwestern if you apply ED.

Thanks.

Could you explain the whole switching to part time thing? Are you saying to apply to Georgetown, then apply to transfer to another school as a part time student? I think I'm misunderstanding you.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:18 am

daniele88 wrote:

Thanks.

Could you explain the whole switching to part time thing? Are you saying to apply to Georgetown, then apply to transfer to another school as a part time student? I think I'm misunderstanding you.
After they get your ED form, email them and ask to be switched to be considered for the part time program instead.

daniele88

New

Post by daniele88 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:
daniele88 wrote:

Thanks.

After they get your ED form, email them and ask to be switched to be considered for the part time program instead.
Ohh ok, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am

DF, does this move exist because there is no ED option to GULC's PT program?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am

sundance95 wrote:DF, does this move exist because there is no ED option to GULC's PT program?
I think so but I'm not sure. You'd have to ask DH20man. He successfully did it.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 am

Get a year of WE then come to NU.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:40 am

rayiner wrote:Get a year of WE then come to NU.
Rayiner is a good host.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
daniele88 wrote:

Thanks.

This is unnecessary because GULC's ED form lets you specify FT, PT, or both.

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... A32010.pdf

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:26 pm

DF: is there something that I'm not aware of that would prevent the OP from T14? it seems to me that the LSAT score and a legitimate medical excuse can go a long way to make up for the GPA.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:56 pm

blink wrote:DF: is there something that I'm not aware of that would prevent the OP from T14? it seems to me that the LSAT score and a legitimate medical excuse can go a long way to make up for the GPA.
NU and GULC are the only T14's that routinely accept GPAs significantly below 3.0.

daniele88

New

Post by daniele88 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:09 pm

im_blue wrote:
blink wrote:DF: is there something that I'm not aware of that would prevent the OP from T14? it seems to me that the LSAT score and a legitimate medical excuse can go a long way to make up for the GPA.
NU and GULC are the only T14's that routinely accept GPAs significantly below 3.0.
That's perfect, because Georgetown is actually my first choice :fingerscrossed:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:54 pm

I've only seen one example of an excuse actually working. The applicants parents died at the same time, and she fucked up two semesters then went back to 4.0.

OP should apply broadly but 2.7 fucking blows.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 am

blink wrote:it seems to me that the LSAT score and a legitimate medical excuse can go a long way to make up for the GPA.
LSN doesn't seem to bear this out.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:50 am

Does LSN offer specific reasons for low test scores ? This situation merits serious consideration by top law schools as anyone scoring a 177 on their only LSAT attempt should be at a top 17 law school in my opinion.

pertristis

Bronze

Post by pertristis » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:46 pm

A legitimate medical excuse, for the most part, seems to operate as just another soft. Sure, it'll give OP an advantage over other applicants with similar GPA/LSAT combos, but applicants with sub-3.0 GPAs rarely get looks, as it is. I'm keenly aware of this, as my original LSDAS GPA last year was ~2.82, which didn't fare well despite my 177 LSAT.

OP: does your school have any procedure for a medically-predicated retroactive withdrawal? If so, I'd look into doing that. I was in a similar situation last year, and it saved me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”