Using my get out of jail free card for my hypothetical/wait? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
shubadeep

New

Using my get out of jail free card for my hypothetical/wait?

Post by shubadeep » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:46 am

I'm a senior at Georgetown and my GPA is a whopping 3.0

I'm an English major and double minor in Theology/Studio Art

I was on the Dean's List as a freshman, but after I developed an eating disorder my grades took a nose dive. I was not able to take any time off from school due to the potential loss of my health insurance, which would have been catastrophic. I was declared "recovered" at the end of spring semester, and got A's in my summer courses this past summer. I've gotten A's on my assignments since the semester began a month ago as well, and think I'm back to Poindexter status for the duration of the haul. I got a 2120 on my SAT and have been scoring 165-170 on the practice tests I've taken so far (only three, my test isn't until December and then February is an option if I mess up).

I really want to go to UConn or Quinnipiac for law (I'm from CT and want to go home after graduation to be near my family). What are my chances at either of these law schools? Ideally I'd prefer UConn, as it has a greater breadth of study and offers certificates in public health and advocacy, which I'm interested in.

Some more info: I was an intern at the Peace Corps HQ, a volunteer EMT for the campus community, and have worked the entire time I've been in college. One of my letters of reference is from a professor and the other is from an attorney who works in Healthcare Law at the Dept. of Justice.

Do I write an addendum re: my shifting GPA?

And possibly the most important question: should I apply for fall 2011, or wait for 2012? Undoubtedly I could find volunteer opportunities and work to fill the calendar year and am still taking the LSAT this year, regardless. However, I don't know if it would be better to have my transcript sent out with as many A's as I can possibly eke out in my last year, or let the admissions committee see it as it was at the conclusion of my spring 2010 semester, when I was still very sick and my academic performance was subpar.

Thanks in advance :D

Jack Smirks

Silver

Re: Using my get out of jail free card for my hypothetical/wait?

Post by Jack Smirks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:08 am

If you're taking the LSAT in December, I would wait a year and apply super early in the next cycle.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 am

Last edited by jayn3 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:40 pm

You can write an addendum, but don't expect any GPA bump.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”