low GPA CC -> High GPA uni? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
fosterp

Bronze

low GPA CC -> High GPA uni?

Post by fosterp » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:12 am

I am wondering here...my gpa when I first started college classes was absolute crap. I didn't really take classes seriously, CC felt kind of like high school, plus working full time graveyard...I ended up with about a 2.9 and a couple classes I withdrew too late in quarter and received 0, and retook them. All in all, once i transferred to university I started taking shit seriously, and while I am only in my third quarter now I am confident I can pull a near 3.8. Anyone have any experience getting into reach schools with a lower gpa than they should have because their gpa had an upward trend? I am guessing if I avg 3.8 for the rest of UG then it will put my overall at 3.0 or 3.1. Schools I am aiming at have medians around 3.5 with lsat medians at ~166. I am pretty confident I can get a 167+, though I was hoping for at least a 170, though my PTing so far says otherwise.

Anyone have any experiences or knowledge that might be relative?

bk1

Diamond

Re: low GPA CC -> High GPA uni?

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:15 am

Your upward trend won't be that big of a deal, but make sure you get at least a 3.0 and not a 2.9X or anything else below 3.

St.Remy

Silver

Post by St.Remy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:41 pm

fosterp wrote:I am wondering here...my gpa when I first started college classes was absolute crap. I didn't really take classes seriously, CC felt kind of like high school, plus working full time graveyard...I ended up with about a 2.9 and a couple classes I withdrew too late in quarter and received 0, and retook them. All in all, once i transferred to university I started taking shit seriously, and while I am only in my third quarter now I am confident I can pull a near 3.8. Anyone have any experience getting into reach schools with a lower gpa than they should have because their gpa had an upward trend? I am guessing if I avg 3.8 for the rest of UG then it will put my overall at 3.0 or 3.1. Schools I am aiming at have medians around 3.5 with lsat medians at ~166. I am pretty confident I can get a 167+, though I was hoping for at least a 170, though my PTing so far says otherwise.

Anyone have any experiences or knowledge that might be relative?
Sorry if I'm off base here but are you British? I don't really hear many people use "uni" or "transferred to university" very often. I ask because if your GPA comes from a non U.S. or Canadian school it almost always doesn't count for LSAC, which would mean only your LSAT and softs would matter.

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:36 pm

No, I just didn't know what single word would distinguish a community college from a 4-year other than university.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:54 pm

Make sure to get that GPA up as much as you can (over a 3.0). The classes you got 0's in will still be calculated into your GPA so your CC GPA may be even lower than the 2.9 you think it is. Take classes at a community college and get A's so that those will be factored in also.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”