How will these softs affect me? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
2011Law

Silver

How will these softs affect me?

Post by 2011Law » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:05 am

So, the only softs I have all came from my second year. I was president of a dying club with more than 50 members (honestly, it was a b.s. position) and I did two three month internships, one with the state party chairman, and the other with a state senator. I read a lot of academic type stuff on my own and had planned on writing a paper or two to publish in an undergrad journal, but that just never came through. I have never had a paying job in my life (scholarship + spoiled). Wondering how all this will affect my chances trying to get into a school where I'm just below the 25th gpa mark and just above the 75th lsat mark. Also, I'll be applying in January so I know that will give me a boost, *sigh*.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: How will these softs affect me?

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:08 am

It won't help you. It won't hurt you.

Those softs are average.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:10 am

As you probably know your softs are average/below average, so I would be prepared to use your PS for example as a chance to try and claim that one of them affected you greatly.

The short answer is they won't affect your application, the long answer is that they won't affect you unless you are on the edge for admission and there are other applicants a school is considering with your same numbers who are more "complete" as applicants. Considering you are a splitter, this means it might be tougher for you to get into the T14, but I would still apply to your reaches if you get a LSAT score over their 75th.

I'm assuming you are taking the December LSAT and that is why you are applying in January? If you aren't you need to apply earlier, that is pretty late for a splitter.

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:13 am

2014 wrote:As you probably know your softs are average/below average, so I would be prepared to use your PS for example as a chance to try and claim that one of them affected you greatly.

The short answer is they won't affect your application, the long answer is that they won't affect you unless you are on the edge for admission and there are other applicants a school is considering with your same numbers who are more "complete" as applicants. Considering you are a splitter, this means it might be tougher for you to get into the T14, but I would still apply to your reaches if you get a LSAT score over their 75th.

I'm assuming you are taking the December LSAT and that is why you are applying in January? If you aren't you need to apply earlier, that is pretty late for a splitter.
Unless you want to go to HYS or Berkeley your fine

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:15 am

2014 wrote:I'm assuming you are taking the December LSAT and that is why you are applying in January? If you aren't you need to apply earlier, that is pretty late for a splitter.
Yeah, taking in Dec., plus I'm planning on asking a professor or two from this semester for a LOR, and I still have to write my PS, so I likely wouldn't be prepared to send out by Nov. anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”