. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Patriot1208

Platinum

Re: Yet Another Reverse-Splitter

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:09 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:I'm still jonesing for a 165+, pattymac. I'm dissecting PT 46 as we speak. -4 on RC, -10 on LR, and -5 on LG. Right now, I'm trying to focus on eliminating careless errors (I made three o_o).

@whymeohgodno: Detestable? Really? As you said, when someone has an advantage, there is no shame in using it. I'd wager >99% of the people on this board would use a similar connection if they had it. That being said, I'm not trolling, and I'm also not trying to start a flame war. So maybe we should let that particular matter drop. PM me if you'd like to discuss the matter further.
Just because I would do it doesn't mean I wouldn't be ashamed about it.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
rad law wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:It's not something I advertise to the general public, but when it comes to gauging my chances at acceptance, I feel it's an important factor. I mention it to get an idea where I stand, not to brag.

That's why I think my chances are analogous to a URM's. My acceptance is not guaranteed, but I do have a leg up.
Probably not going to be an important factor unless your LSAT is already in range.
+1 - unless your Governor is Blago, it won't really do anything. I could almost see it hurting you.
Have actually heard of this multiple times before (so called "connections" turning borderline applicants into straight out rejects).

Also, as melon alluded to, governors and politicians in general should stay the fuck out of the law school admissions process.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 1380.story

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Last edited by HeavenWood on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:33 pm

HeavenWood wrote:LOL, nothing tht nefarious will be going on behind the scenes--at least I hope not :D
I see how it may turn into a detriment though. In general, people want to distance themselves from any impression of impropriety.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:26 pm

All the people who are claiming that having a highly connected person speak for you will cause detrimental affects on your application definitely don't know the reality of admissions...

Try reading "The Price of Admission" or "Color and Money"... legacy and political/money influence on admissions is a larger factor on university admissions than URM effects in almost every top public or private school within the country. Of course this effect is reduced in law school due to the basic USNWR criteria, but it definitely still affects the process. Personally i'm against this, but it definitely does exist.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”