T14 chances for an older applicant Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kasko

New

T14 chances for an older applicant

Post by kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:08 pm

What's the oldest applicant known to have been accepted at a T14? Applying this year -- mid-50s URM with 30+ years work experience in CS/IP. Crappy UGPA from top school, 175 LSAT. Only interested in schools with hard-core IP programs, and not interested in NY or Chicago due to family issues. Any shot at H, S or B?

Knock

Platinum

Re: T14 chances for an older applicant

Post by Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:28 pm

kasko wrote:What's the oldest applicant known to have been accepted at a T14? Applying this year -- mid-50s URM with 30+ years work experience in CS/IP. Crappy UGPA from top school, 175 LSAT. Only interested in schools with hard-core IP programs, and not interested in NY or Chicago due to family issues. Any shot at H, S or B?
You picked 3 schools that hold GPA pretty highly. S and B are known for favoring GPA, at least relative to LSAT compared to other schools, and you still need a strong GPA to get into H, so those 3 are all probably out.

I'd think you'd have a good shot at UVA, possibly with an ED, but how bad exactly is your GPA? I've heard the UVA is in a pretty family friendly area, along with U. Michigan, so those two should be high up on your list.

What kind of URM are you?

kasko

New

Post by kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Knockglock wrote: You picked 3 schools that hold GPA pretty highly. S and B are known for favoring GPA, at least relative to LSAT compared to other schools, and you still need a strong GPA to get into H, so those 3 are all probably out.

I'd think you'd have a good shot at UVA, possibly with an ED, but how bad exactly is your GPA? I've heard the UVA is in a pretty family friendly area, along with U. Michigan, so those two should be high up on your list.

GPA is sub-3.0, but from one of those three mentioned. NA/IA, affiliated/enrolled. Much of the WE is senior/executive level (can obtain recommendations from the top people in the field.)

UVA is family-friendly, but not older applicant-friendly. Haven't heard much about Michigan's IP program -- maybe someone can fill me in (also, Mich tends to only take my kind from in-state, or so I've heard.)

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:40 pm

I think you're wise to focus on those three schools. As you probably know, they're the best CS IP schools. But if your GPA is too low... don't expect too much.

I don't think your age is directly a problem. You'll need a very good explanation for the career change; and you'll need realistic expectations of your post-JD career. But if you can sell it, you won't be dinged just for being older. At NYU, there's a mid-40s guy in my year.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Your initial question isn't really relevant. (I'm a Boalt 2L and am the oldest in my class at 44. There is a 3L I know who is in the same ballpark. Not quite the same as you, but getting there faster than I would like. :) )

What matters more is the stuff that follows. Will age bar you? Nope. You may even get a bit of a pass on the GPA (It would appear I did, being sub 25th%ile without your killer LSAT). More important is how you package it all together: your experience, your numbers, your URM status, your "why law school". (This last question will also be very important in your job search. I've pretty much had to answer it in some form at practically EVERY interview at OCIP.)

Because of the difference in my own experience vs. your killer LSAT, IP interest and your URM status, I don't feel suited to make a prediction; but it does seem worthwhile to invest the ~$250 in application fees. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:43 pm

I think a lot of lower T14 schools will love you. Very high LSAT and lots of work experience? You're going to add a lot of diversity to a class by bringing age and experience that most applicants lack, even those who have a couple years of experience. Plus, as a URM, you're really going to light them up.

Blanket the T14, you'll get into more than one if you do your apps right. Good luck.

kasko

New

Post by kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Law school isn't really a "change" -- most of the people in my field of IP already possess JDs -- I'm just playing catch-up.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:44 pm

kasko wrote:
Knockglock wrote: You picked 3 schools that hold GPA pretty highly. S and B are known for favoring GPA, at least relative to LSAT compared to other schools, and you still need a strong GPA to get into H, so those 3 are all probably out.

GPA is sub-3.0, but from one of those three mentioned. NA/IA, affiliated/enrolled. Much of the WE is senior/executive level (can obtain recommendations from the top people in the field.)

UVA is family-friendly, but not older applicant-friendly. Haven't heard much about Michigan's IP program -- maybe someone can fill me in (also, Mich tends to only take my kind from in-state, or so I've heard.)
Oops, forgot that you were looking for the top IP programs. I'm not heading into that field so i'm afraid I don't really know too much about it.

By your kind do you mean enrolled Native Americans or older applicants? If the former, I'd think that would be incorrect.

Your cycle is going to be very unpredictable, a super splitter with a sub-3.0 GPA but 175 LSAT, along with being an URM, it's going to be hard to predict acceptances. I'd apply pretty broadly and not limit yourself only to schools that have super strong IP programs. But again i'm not too knowledge about heading into that field. I've heard many times that you shouldn't choose a school based on specialty rankings though, that they aren't worth too much.

Are Chicago and NYC completely out for sure? Because Northwestern would probably love to have you, especially if you ED. They like their applicants to have post-grad work experience, and you seem to have plenty of high quality work experience. They also are willing to let in sup 3.0 splitters, but i'm not sure if you'd need to ED.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Will anyone hire a 60 year old newly minted lawyer?

I wouldn't apply ED anywhere.

Apply to most of the t14. Shame you won't take Chicago, because Northwestern is almost a guaranteed acceptance. But you'll get into a couple lower t14.

You also don't need a specialized IP program to do IP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kasko

New

Post by kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Will anyone hire a 60 year old newly minted lawyer?

Apply to most of the t14. Shame you won't take Chicago, because Northwestern is almost a guaranteed acceptance. But you'll get into a couple lower t14.

Don't really plan on going into a firm -- will probably partner up with people in my field (in which I'm already established, but need the JD to reach the next (that is, highest) level.)

My spouse is a law student in a program that doesn't have a strong IP program, and s/he is already looking for outside opportunities to expand on the survey-level education... don't want to have to do that if possible.

Edited to add: NW is definitely out. Don't want Chicago.
Last edited by kasko on Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:54 pm

kasko wrote:

Don't really plan on going into a firm -- will probably partner up with people in my field (in which I'm already established, but need the JD to reach the next (that is, highest) level.)

My spouse is a law student in a program that doesn't have a strong IP program, and s/he is already looking for outside opportunities to expand on the survey-level education... don't want to have to do that if possible.
Does the prestige of the degree matter? You might be able to get a full ride at somewhere like GWU, a good school for IP.

kasko

New

Post by kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kasko wrote:

Does the prestige of the degree matter? You might be able to get a full ride at somewhere like GWU, a good school for IP.
Have thought of GW -- have some colleagues with degrees from there, and the spouse might be in DC for a few years post-grad. How is GULC's IP program, anyone? Have a friend who went PT years ago (now a partner at a well-known firm), but I'm not familiar with its FT program.

kasko

New

Post by kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:14 pm

Rotor wrote:Your initial question isn't really relevant. (I'm a Boalt 2L and am the oldest in my class at 44. There is a 3L I know who is in the same ballpark. Not quite the same as you, but getting there faster than I would like. :) )

What matters more is the stuff that follows. Will age bar you? Nope. You may even get a bit of a pass on the GPA (It would appear I did, being sub 25th%ile without your killer LSAT). More important is how you package it all together: your experience, your numbers, your URM status, your "why law school". (This last question will also be very important in your job search. I've pretty much had to answer it in some form at practically EVERY interview at OCIP.)

Because of the difference in my own experience vs. your killer LSAT, IP interest and your URM status, I don't feel suited to make a prediction; but it does seem worthwhile to invest the ~$250 in application fees. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. My spouse is friends with that 3L -- guess I should have gone to that source first before throwing that question out here, but like you, their experience is completely different from mine, so it's hard to ask for a prediction.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:19 pm

kasko wrote:What's the oldest applicant known to have been accepted at a T14? Applying this year -- mid-50s URM with 30+ years work experience in CS/IP. Crappy UGPA from top school, 175 LSAT. Only interested in schools with hard-core IP programs, and not interested in NY or Chicago due to family issues. Any shot at H, S or B?
If you ever lift that disregard for NY schools, you would be an autoadmit at Cornell and many of the lower t14 schools.

kasko

New

Post by kasko » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:12 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
If you ever lift that disregard for NY schools, you would be an autoadmit at Cornell and many of the lower t14 schools.
I guess I should clarify NY as being NYC... I'll be applying to Cornell, although the IP program is fairly general.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”